Wedding Photography Question..please :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Niresangwa View Post
    On average about 600 total, all unique (no similar images, or same-image-PP'd-differently), in their hands in about 5 days from the event. That's usually a result of about 1500 shot on the day. They get what they're given, and have little-to-no input on either selection or style of the images.

Of course it varies on the wedding. Yesterday was huge, 250 guest ceremony, 450 person reception, 24 person bridal party... 12 hours of shooting yielded 2700 images. They'll get about 800 total I'm guessing.
    ....`I hope it was a "Glee Theme" Steve....

--S
    www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sime View Post
      ....`I hope it was a "Glee Theme" Steve....

--S
      Don't even joke about that...
      Website ... Blog ... Facebook

Comment

Don't even joke about that...
        Why? Perfect chance to wear your ass-less leather chaps. I'd have thought you'd be thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
          Why? Perfect chance to wear your ass-less leather chaps. I'd have thought you'd be thrilled.
          Haha AWESOME.... Ewww
          www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
            Al, this public fascination with my ass needs to end. We became FB friends for a reason.

Comment

I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering where I have gone wrong.... I have only done about 50-60 weddings but even with a second shooter on a full " meet at the house before, then to the church, ceremony, any formals required, reception, etc." I don't think I have ever come home with more than about 700-800 images to sort through. I usually will end up with ( I even tell the client at the contract interview) about 200-250 images of the wedding day. I don't miss any of the event, I get all the must haves and alot of glad I got shots. Lots of detail shots... what am I missing here? I do go into it visualizing what there album should look like and what others they would like to have of friends etc. How can I find it exceptable to shoot a half to a third of what I am reading is the average?
              Nikon D 600/ Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8, 80-200 F2.8 D, SB900, SB800

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Engelhart View Post
                I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering where I have gone wrong.... I have only done about 50-60 weddings but even with a second shooter on a full " meet at the house before, then to the church, ceremony, any formals required, reception, etc." I don't think I have ever come home with more than about 700-800 images to sort through. I usually will end up with ( I even tell the client at the contract interview) about 200-250 images of the wedding day. I don't miss any of the event, I get all the must haves and alot of glad I got shots. Lots of detail shots... what am I missing here? I do go into it visualizing what there album should look like and what others they would like to have of friends etc. How can I find it exceptable to shoot a half to a third of what I am reading is the average?
                I'm going to make a blind stab at this....just because it's past 1 am here and I refuse to go to bed even though I'm going to pass out on the floor.

I am guessing that you are more of a conventional photographer who do more calculated shots and do more posed and planned shots in comparison to a more candid, photo-journalistic style of wedding photography?

If you are only shooting between 700 to 800 shots, you take your shots more carefully and only shoot when things look for organised in your frame? Hence, I am guessing you do lots of posed shots and what you submit to your clients are a lot of that. Not that I'm saying you don't shoot candidly. I'm just saying you just shoot more traditionally.

When I did my first wedding last month, I was trigger happy (too much) and did around 3K for 8 hours. Wait, 10 hours, forgetting that I also had 2 hours of pre-wedding cocktails the day before. Anyhoo, out of all those shots, I submitted 600 photos. 604 to be exact. The only time I did 'posed' shots are group ones, and even then, I submitted the 'out of pose' shots which had more energy and less 'cheesy' smily faces. 98% of my shots were all candid.

I imagine that most photographers here would do 50/50 - half posed/planned, half candid.

When I submitted my photos, I did series shots of moments, sequence of events that led to the big story. I can't speak for everyone else, but I imagine that if people are submitting between 400 + photos for an 8 hour wedding, there would be lots of little candid moments included in the sets.

Therefore, the numbers of photos are more than what a traditional photographer would submit. I'm saying 'traditional' because my dad is a traditional photographer who shoots only when everything is calculated - light metered, people posed, scene organised. When I told him the amount of photos I took and submitted, he complaint that it was too much.

Ok. I've lost track of what I'm saying.

Sh*t, I need alcohol. Clear the mind of muck.

Right. So what I'm trying to say is that perhaps, you have a different shooting style from newer wedding photographers in the forum....that's what I'm guessing, anyway.

Am I somewhat right? Or should I shut up and get drunk?
                My FLICKR

Comment

Originally posted by graciousness View Post
                  I'm going to make a blind stab at this....just because it's past 1 am here and I refuse to go to bed even though I'm going to pass out on the floor.

I am guessing that you are more of a conventional photographer who do more calculated shots and do more posed and planned shots in comparison to a more candid, photo-journalistic style of wedding photography?

If you are only shooting between 700 to 800 shots, you take your shots more carefully and only shoot when things look for organised in your frame? Hence, I am guessing you do lots of posed shots and what you submit to your clients are a lot of that. Not that I'm saying you don't shoot candidly. I'm just saying you just shoot more traditionally.

When I did my first wedding last month, I was trigger happy (too much) and did around 3K for 8 hours. Wait, 10 hours, forgetting that I also had 2 hours of pre-wedding cocktails the day before. Anyhoo, out of all those shots, I submitted 600 photos. 604 to be exact. The only time I did 'posed' shots are group ones, and even then, I submitted the 'out of pose' shots which had more energy and less 'cheesy' smily faces. 98% of my shots were all candid.

I imagine that most photographers here would do 50/50 - half posed/planned, half candid.

When I submitted my photos, I did series shots of moments, sequence of events that led to the big story. I can't speak for everyone else, but I imagine that if people are submitting between 400 + photos for an 8 hour wedding, there would be lots of little candid moments included in the sets.

Therefore, the numbers of photos are more than what a traditional photographer would submit. I'm saying 'traditional' because my dad is a traditional photographer who shoots only when everything is calculated - light metered, people posed, scene organised. When I told him the amount of photos I took and submitted, he complaint that it was too much.

Ok. I've lost track of what I'm saying.

Sh*t, I need alcohol. Clear the mind of muck.

Right. So what I'm trying to say is that perhaps, you have a different shooting style from newer wedding photographers in the forum....that's what I'm guessing, anyway.

Am I somewhat right? Or should I shut up and get drunk?
                  I hope you finally rested well

I think you are spot on with your assessment of how I have approach weddings to this point. I have a wedding in April and I know am forwarned that I should have more images because of shooting it in a more photojournalistic way. Thanks for clearing my head of that.
                  Nikon D 600/ Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8, 80-200 F2.8 D, SB900, SB800

Comment

Friday just gone, carefully and as a second shooter, 861 images. Four blisters, Three cups of coffee, two deer, one crazy white owl and a lot of rain... awesome!
                    www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Sime View Post
                      Friday just gone, carefully and as a second shooter, 861 images. Four blisters, Three cups of coffee, two deer, one crazy white owl and a lot of rain... awesome!
                      Looks like someone enjoyed themselves...

Comment

Looks like someone enjoyed themselves...
                        Very much. Though, the owl was a touch freaky.... It was literally sitting in the middle of the highway at 11pm, staring down cars... I turned around and went back to shoo it away, only when I got out of the car and walked RIGHT up to it, did it look at me and then fly away... ghostly white and seriously awesome. Maybe it was playing "Chicken"
                        www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X