Website dos and don'ts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ariana Murphy View Post
    By the way, what is "flash"? Everybody keeps saying don't use it, but I don't even know what it is!
    Also, it would be MORE helpful that everyone that preaches this also give suggestions as to what to use as an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by thegarageblog View Post
      That is a great list of WP themes for photo sites!

My 2 cents. NO FLASH and NO MUSIC!!!!

For some reason many photographers use both and they are unbelievably annoying!
      Am I mistaken or don't your galleries have/use flash?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
        Also, it would be MORE helpful that everyone that preaches this also give suggestions as to what to use as an alternative.
        jquery comes to mind
        Nikon D7000:18-105mm VR Kit, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF, SB600
        Web Design of Palm Beach
        Photo Blog
        Become a Fan on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana Murphy View Post
          By the way, what is "flash"? Everybody keeps saying don't use it, but I don't even know what it is!
          From Wikipedia ...

Adobe Flash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am by no means an expert in this area but have done some flash work in the past so here is my take ...

In a nutshell, it's a way to get animation, interactivity, and rich content to the web. It's often used to create web based games, banner ads, interactive forms, photo galleries, animations, and all kinds of things for web use. I think the reason some will advise against the use of this technology for a business website is because many popular devices like the iPhone and iPad inherently do not support it. Since it's not supported, potential customers cannot see your content. More and more, people are using these devices for everyday surfing (I know I now use my little Pixie phone more for surfing than my desktop) so if you are putting out content that can't be seen by the device of choice, well, you may lose some potential customers.

If you decide this is an issue, there are alternatives to deliver rich content to the web so you just have to look for options that aren't Flash based. (This is where I KNOW I am no expert so can't really offer a better suggestion.)

Hope that helps. If nothing else, you have some new terms to take to Google.
          Last edited by karen_s; 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM.
          Canon 50d, 17-55mm f/2.8, 60mm 2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4, and couple of speedlights
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by BigFuzzy View Post
            Am I mistaken or don't your galleries have/use flash?
            Nope - mine are done with the WP-cycle plugin which uses jquery.

Here is a good post explaining some of the differences.
            Flash vs jQuery : Which is better for me? | Unleashed Technologies

One thing he does not mention (that I can see anyway) is that jquery is much less likely to crash a browser.
            The Garage Blog
            Bigg Shooter
            Flickr
            Facebook

Comment

Basically Flash is annoying because it's a plug-in, doesn't work well with SEO, doesn't work on most mobile operating systems, and a lot better stuff can be done with Java script/jQuery and CSS.
              Last edited by nickbedford; 11-18-2011, 12:09 AM.
              www.nickbedford.com | Fill The Key (blog)

Comment

Originally posted by thegarageblog View Post
                Nope - mine are done with the WP-cycle plugin which uses jquery.

Here is a good post explaining some of the differences.
                Flash vs jQuery : Which is better for me? | Unleashed Technologies

One thing he does not mention (that I can see anyway) is that jquery is much less likely to crash a browser.
                Yeah, I thought that was the case, but when I opened your page at work (which blocks flash) it told me I had to install flash to see the album on the link..
                So, does a web browser see that as flash? Now I'm confused (not that knew much about it to begin with!)

EDIT: I think I figured it out, my browser doesn't have java installed which would make js inoperable, right? That's where i was confused.. I think.
                Last edited by BigFuzzy; 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I think you found the answer
                  The Garage Blog
                  Bigg Shooter
                  Flickr
                  Facebook

Comment

Basically Flash is annoying because it's a plug-in, doesn't work well with SEO, doesn't work on most mobile operating systems, and a lot better stuff can be done with Java script/jQuery and CSS.
                    I disagree with most of this ;P

EDIT: I think I figured it out, my browser doesn't have java installed which would make js inoperable, right? That's where i was confused.. I think.
                    Java and ********** are 2 completely different things. I guess it's like Cars and Motorbikes :P
                    A lot of browsers include options to disable ********** and activeX which might be your problem
                    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
                    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
                    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Comment

Working...
                    X