No announcement yet.

Assignment: Costumes (17 Sept - 1 Oct)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assignment: Costumes (17 Sept - 1 Oct)

This week's assignment is "Costumes". Costumes can be used by adults, children, animals and even inanimate objects. They can be used to disguise, amuse, hide, tell a story or express hidden feelings. Various styles of clothing not seen in all parts of the world might be considered costumes (for example, American cowboys). Try to use what you know about lighting and composition on your images.

Here are examples by Seltzer (click for larger):

As always, don't forget the rules:

1. The image you submit should be taken between the 17 September (when it was announced) and 1 October (until one of the moderators closes the the mini-contest).

2. Your post must include "Assignment: Costumes" (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above).

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (640px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.
    For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

Next week's assignment (for which you can begin taking pictures now) is "Texture". The DPS blog has an interesting post on the "Five Elements of Composition". Read the one on "Texture". Texture can also be added in post processing to add interest to an otherwise ordinary shot. Explore the use of texture whether you find it in the subject you are shooting or adding it later.
    Last edited by Saralonde; 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Assignment: Costumes

Guess I'll go with an inanimate object. My wife has a number of seasonal outfits for the goose in our foyer. Halloween is coming up soon, so a hat and cape is the current adornment..

Halloween

CameraSony DSLR-A100
    Exposure 0.013 sec
    ApertureF/5.6
    Focal Length60mm
    ISO Speed400
    Exposure Bias  +0/10 EV
    FlashFlash did fire

Full exif on Flickr

I think the contest dates are Sep 17 to Oct 1. Took this photo 9/22/08.

Cheers,
    Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

Comment

Assignment - Costumes

costumerobe

Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
      Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
      Aperture: f/7.1
      Focal Length: 24 mm
      ISO Speed: 100
      Exposure Bias: 0 EV
      9/23/08

2 flashheads with gel filters for the background, one flashhead rim light, one ringlight key light. Shot a tad late at sunset, but still kinda cool. Made my wife look like the emporer. Definately need to get one of those portable steamers for wrinkles though. There is another picture of me on flickr kind of showing the setup.
      Last edited by EHIRyan; 09-24-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

This was at a local event celebrating the Chinese Moon Festival.

"House of China"
        House of China19

Camera: Nikon D40
        Exposure: .006 sec
        Aperture: f/6.3
        Focal Length: 50mm
        ISO Speed: 200
        Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV
        Date Taken: September 21, 2008
        Last edited by Keikyu; 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM. Reason: Thanks Sara :)
        My Flickr

Comment

I always wear my costume for work... it like putting on my own set of armor, but modified a little..

DSC06920-1

EXIF data:
          Camera: Sony DSLR-A100
          Exposure: 0.333 sec (1/3)
          Focal Length: 200 mm
          ISO Speed: 100
          Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
          Flash: Flash did not fire
          Last edited by mrlee_1979; 10-01-2008, 01:51 PM. Reason: Added exif data
          "I want to be a non-conformist, just like everyone else" - Banksy
          flickr | PhotographersDirect

Comment

This is a window display of a designer shop.

From dps assignment

On the catwalk

Date taken: 18 Sept 2008
            Camera: Nikon D50
            Shutter speed: 1/5
            Aperture: f/5
            ISO: 200
            Focal length: 40mm
            Flash: did not fire
            "Outside the sun is shining; it seems like heaven ain't far away."
            ~ The Killers

Comment

Originally posted by Keikyu View Post
              Wasn't this assignment announced on the 17th, lasting though the 1st?
              Whoops! My bad; all fixed!
              Linda
              My Gear
              OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
              flickr

Comment

Igor - Forgive me, but I think it's hilarious that your wife has multiple costumes for a goose statue! Is there some significance to the goose and costumes, or just a bit of frivolity on your wife's part? Makes me smile every time I think of it!
                Debbie
                Canon Powershot A650IS (Bridge Camera)
                Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.

OK to edit and repost only on DPS forums.
                If you're bored: My flickr

Comment

Nothing says Oktoberfest like ... Bellydancers???? Well, I guess they wanted to support local artists - so it was beer, glassblowers, other artisans and bellydancers Here I thought Oktoberfest would be in October - silly me

IMGP6069

Camera: Pentax K100D
                  Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
                  Aperture: f/11
                  Focal Length: 38 mm
                  Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
                  Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
                  Exposure Program: Aperture priority
                  Date and Time (Original): 2008:09:20 13:33:40
                  Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:09:20 13:33:40
                  Pentax K100D, Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro Super II, SMC Pentax-DA F3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm, Vivitar 1:2.8 MC Wide Angle 28mm, Pentax 540FGZ, Vivitar 285HV, Cactus wireless trigger and receivers
                  Flickr

Comment

Multiples

Originally posted by dlaf View Post
                    Igor - Forgive me, but I think it's hilarious that your wife has multiple costumes for a goose statue! Is there some significance to the goose and costumes, or just a bit of frivolity on your wife's part? Makes me smile every time I think of it!
                    Quilters tend to carry ideas to extremes. You can get patterns. At least they aren't out in the lawn in front of the house.
                    Cheers,
                    Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

Comment

batcycle1 copy

Taken Sept 20:
                      Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
                      Focal Length: 50 mm
                      Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
                      Last edited by private; 09-25-2008, 08:07 PM.
                      Pat
                      5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
                      You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

Comment

Im a little confussed. It says this posting was posted on the 17th? But this is the first time I am seeing it. Am looking in the wrong places for the new assignment? Im brand new to this and havent figured out how the site works yet.

Comment

@ Hiebert: When a new thread is started for an assignment, it lists at the bottom what next week's assignment will be. For instance, if you read the first post that Sara made on this thread, at the bottom it says that the next assignment will be "Texture". Today is the first day of the 'acceptable dates' for shooting the texture pictures, if I understand correctly. Basically, you have 2 weeks to get the shot, and the second week of that is when you are able to submit it. Does that make any sense? I'm not much good at explaining things in writing
                          Last edited by Keikyu; 09-25-2008, 02:30 AM.
                          My Flickr

Comment

OH!!! I read that and it didnt even sink in! hahaha thanks for pointing that out to me. I feel like I have been coming in right before it ends! Thanks!!!!

Comment

lol private.. you've obviously perfected your panning.

nice attempt
                              http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
                              D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Comment

Working...
                              X