"Menu" March 21 - April 4, 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Menu" March 21 - April 4, 2012

This week: "Menu". Have you ever been to an Asian restaurant with a menu that tells you to pick one from Column A, two from Column B, etc? That is what we are going to do for the next assignment. Only the 3 columns you will be choosing from are from some of our past assignments this year. Here are your choices:

Column A: Color
    Yellow
    Blue
    Green
    Monochrome Color

Column B: Composition
    Repetitions and Patterns (Manmade or Natural)
    Minimalism
    Odd Numbers
    Get Down
    A Sense of Depth

Column C: Lighting

Natural Window
    One Light (Artificial)

Now choose one from each column to use with your image. Unlike the first time you did each assignment, your choice does not need to be the main subject of your picture. For example, if you choose yellow as one of your elements, it can be a small part of your shot as long as it is included in some way.

For example, this is what your post should look like.

Day 68-365 "Kayt in Masque"

Here is a shot I took of my daughter. I used a green mask (Column A), ghetto light from a living room lamp (Column C) and repetitions and patterns in the mask design (Column B).
    Exif info:
    Aperture f/5
    Focal length 50mm
    Shutter Speed 1/40
    ISO 200
    Date taken: March 9

As you can see, my subject is my daughter not any of the three elements I chose from the columns, but those elements all play a part in the image. Pay attention to creativity. You need to think how you can use these elements in a way that makes an interesting shot, not just one that contains them. If it helps, imagine yourself as a photographer hired by a company that wants you to photograph their product and they have given you specific constraints about the way they want their product shown.

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 21st of March to the 4th of April, 2012. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Menu" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the Assignment section the weekend after the contest closes. There should be a thread announcing the winners.

8. For help with posting images, check the FAQ at the top of this page and click on "Posting Images". It will give you a detailed explanation.

Next week: Let's do something a little simpler. The Easter holiday is coming up so whether it is a religious celebration for you, a sign of Spring, or bunnies, chicks and colored eggs are your thing, see what you can do with "Easter" as your theme. As this is a wide open assignment, give special consideration to lighting, composition and viewer interest.
    Last edited by Saralonde; 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM. Reason: added links to previous assignments
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

By the way, it would help a lot if you made clear which menu items you are selecting. Don't leave us guessing! Linda's example shows this perfectly but I thought I would reiterate in case you missed it.

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Luminescence

Column A - green
      Column B - get down
      Column C - natural light

This marsh grass was trapped between a dock and a boat. The light reflected off the boat's white hull and gave the water a surreal luminescence.

Marsh Grass_309 by davegibson2011, on Flickr

Date Shot: 3/26/2012
      Device: Nikon D3100
      Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
      Focal Length: 48mm
      Aperture: F/5.6
      Shutter Speed: 1/60s
      Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
      ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
      “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"Bring your camera" - Dave Gibson

Comment

Just a request for clarification....does Black and White come under the heading of "Monochromatic"?
        Prints available through PI Creative Arts. Represented by FIRSTL*GHT, a Division of Design Pics Inc.
        Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L, Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye
        ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Comment

and for lightning, Natural Window. Do we need to shoot by the window/indoor or can we shoot outside also?
          Last edited by angelus; 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Assignment: "Menu" March 21 - April 4, 2012

Monochrome (Green)
            Repetition & Patterns
            One Light (Artificial)

Green repetition and pattern in artificial light by *monstermum, on Flickr

I had this image in my head for a while and found a factory that is due to be "decommissioned" soon. I shot the photo through a chain link fence and I liked how the pattern was super-imposed on the pattern of the corrugated tin wall.
            EXIF
            Taken on March 24, 2012 at 7.42pm WST
            Camera Canon EOS 50D
            Lens Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
            Exposure 2
            Aperture f/7.1
            Focal Length 90 mm
            ISO Speed 320
            Exposure Program Manual
            Last edited by monstermum; 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Roshenk View Post
              Just a request for clarification....does Black and White come under the heading of "Monochromatic"?
              The recent assignment was actually "Monochrome Colour" and specified that black and white didn't count. I'll take a sounding with the other mods but, if you haven't taken your photo yet, I would definitely get your thinking cap on about the idea of colour rather than grey.

Wulf
              Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
              Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

forget it - i think I got it now
                Nikon D3100 (nlpgallery.com)

Comment

"Raindrops on Moonroofs" by Jan Tenold

Raindrops on Moonroofs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Assignment: Menus
                  A) Color: monochrome
                  B) Composition: repetitions & pattern
                  C) Lighting: Natural window

This photo was taken with my cellphone looking through the moonroof of my car on a rainy day.

Date photographed: 3/26/2012
                  ISO 64
                  Focal Length 4 mm
                  Aperture: f/2.4
                  Shutter speed 1/406

Comment

nice @ janten
                    Nikon D3100 (nlpgallery.com)

Comment

Originally posted by wulf View Post
                      The recent assignment was actually "Monochrome Colour" and specified that black and white didn't count. I'll take a sounding with the other mods but, if you haven't taken your photo yet, I would definitely get your thinking cap on about the idea of colour rather than grey.

Wulf
                      I would definitely appreciate clarification on this issue. Looking through the archived list of assignments under the monochrome assignment the definition of monochrome posted by Sime included black and white. I wasn't on DPS at the time of that assignment so if I'm misreading things and black and white is definitely a no-no then I'll stay away from it but I'm considering a possible black and white shot for this current assignment so knowing for certain what will be allowed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

"Menu" March 21 - April 4, 2012

verde

green, light, pattern

Comment

Originally posted by Roshenk View Post
                          Originally posted by wulf View Post

Wulf
                          Originally posted by Seanchata View Post
                          I would definitely appreciate clarification on this issue. Looking through the archived list of assignments under the monochrome assignment the definition of monochrome posted by Sime included black and white. I wasn't on DPS at the time of that assignment so if I'm misreading things and black and white is definitely a no-no then I'll stay away from it but I'm considering a possible black and white shot for this current assignment so knowing for certain what will be allowed would be appreciated.

Thanks
                          Yes, I've added the links to the original assignments for more clarification. Wulf is right, it is monochromatic color not black and white.
                          Linda
                          My Gear
                          OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
                          flickr

Comment

Taken on March 29th 2012

A- Color (Yellow)
                            B- Repetitions & Patterns
                            C- Lighting (Artificial)

IMG_602 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was taken when i had gone at a small sugar cane stall in India which sold around 20 different varieties of only natural sugar cane juices.

Comment

Assignment: Menu 3/28-4/4

A--Green
                              B--Odd
                              C--Natural window light

DPS assignment Menu 3_28_12 062 by claudia5573, on Flickr

Taken on March 28, 2012 at 10.04am EDT (edit)
                              Exif data
                              Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
                              Exposure 0.6
                              Aperture f/4.0
                              Focal Length 100 mm
                              ISO Speed 200
                              Exposure Bias 0 EV
                              Flash Off, Did not fire
                              www.flickr.com/photos/cjj5573/

Comment

Working...
                              X