"Composition: "Get Down" Feb. 22 - March 7, 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Composition: "Get Down" Feb. 22 - March 7, 2012

This week: "Composition: "Get Down". Even though I know I should be taking shots from all different angles, I seldom get down very low to shoot. Afraid of getting dirty maybe? Maybe, but it's always good to see what a different perspective can do. Try getting eye level with babies and children to see how it draws the viewer into the photo. Consider a bug's eye view of the world. Don't want to get dirty? Put your camera down low and shoot "blind".

Get Down and Dirty for a New Perspective On Your Photography

Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond and Hello Where did you come from?
    by Alan Weir

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 22nd of February to the 7th of March, 2012. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Composition: Get Down" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the Assignment section the weekend after the contest closes. There should be a thread announcing the winners.

8. For help with posting images, check the FAQ at the top of this page and click on "Posting Images". It will give you a detailed explanation.

Next week: "A Sense of Depth". We all know photography is a two dimensional medium and, if we're not careful, our shots can look flat and uninteresting. What we want to try next week is giving our images a sense of depth or perspective. This can be done in several ways.
    1. Use of lines that converge or grow closer as they lead into a shot.
    How to Use Converging Lines to Enhance Your Photography
    2. Sense of Scale. Large objects near the front, smaller ones to the back.
    3. Depth of field. Try opening up your lens to get a sharper foreground with a more blurred background. This makes the foreground subject tend to "pop" forward.
    4. Take lighting into account. Strong direct lighting can flatten an image, eliminating the shadows that can give a more 3 dimensional effect. For example, most of us have taken a casual snapshot with an onboard flash and seen what it can do to someone's face. Not too pretty and definitely flattening. Shadows, if used properly, can give a feeling of depth.
    Creating a Sense of Depth in Your Photos

Check the image at the top of this post. Not only is it an example of shooting low, it also gives a feeling of depth.
    Last edited by wulf; 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Originally posted by Saralonde View Post
    1. Use of lines that converge or grow closer as they lead into a shot.
    How to Use Converging Lines to Enhance Your Photography
    Link is dead for me?
    Last edited by LewisCanon; 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM.
    http://www.lewisfielding.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LewisCanon View Post
      Link is dead for me?
      Not any more - fixed.

Wulf
      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

DPS Assignment: Composition: Get Down Entry
        Icy Sky

Icy Sky
        EXIF Data:
        Date Taken: 4.30 pm on 25 February, 2012
        Camera: Canon EOS 60D
        Lens: 17-40 f/4L Lens
        Focal Length: 17
        Shutter Speed: 1/125
        Aperture: f/7.1
        ISO Speed: 100

I find an assignment like this to be wonderful. I've always been a fan of getting down into the muck, much to the demise of my clothing. I notoriously go out to nature parks or even down dirt roads after it has rained wearing my nicest set of pants, knowing at some point I will be getting messy.

This photo was taken coinciding with my arrival back here, after my long stay at a hospital. I love to be doing photography again, and this was a great way to start!
        Last edited by KongeTorsk; 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM. Reason: Added some commentary
        Flickr

Comment

*** Assignment: "Composition: "Get Down" Feb. 22 - March 7, 2012

Aston Martin

There She Was Looking At Me

Taken on February 24, 2012 at 7.10pm CST (edit)

Exif data

Camera Nikon D7000
          Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
          Aperture f/1.4
          Focal Length 50 mm
          ISO Speed 800
          Exposure Bias 0 EV
          Flash No Flash
          Last edited by Obijuan; 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM.
          Visit my place at http://www.limeflyphotography.com
          or give me a like on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/LimeFlyPhotography
          Twitter @limeflyphotos
          You can even find me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/+juangonzalez https://plus.google.com/+juangonzalez

Comment

Composition: Get Down

This is one of my better efforts

http://wp.me/p268wp-cY

28mm
            F2.8
            1/20sec
            ISO: 100

M.
            Last edited by MikeC365; 02-29-2012, 11:46 PM. Reason: Meta Data added
            MikeC366
            Blog , Flickr , Twitter

Gear:
            Pentax K5, 18-55WR, 50-200WR, 50mm f1.7 manual, 50mm f4 Macro, 28mm f2.8.

Comment

Assignment- Composition: Get Down

Lily
              Composition- "Get Down" #1 - Lily

Exif Data-
              Date taken February 26, 2012
              Camera Sony DSC-N2
              Exposure 0.1 sec (1/10)
              Aperture f/2.8
              Focal Length 7.9 mm
              ISO Speed 160
              Flash Off, Did not fire

PS- Proving once again my family are always right "you're early for everything" I like to think I'm just well organised And Mike & Obijuan, you guys are like those kids at school who bags their place in the line!
              Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. Percy W. Harris

Blog- Two Go Tiki Touring
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by LewisCanon View Post
                Link is dead for me?
                Whoops!

Thanks, Wulf!
                Linda
                My Gear
                OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
                flickr

Comment

Night5

Night

NikonD5000
                  Date and Time2012:02:24 18:25:54Z
                  Light Source Tungsten
                  Exposure 4
                  Aperture f/3.5
                  Focal Length 18 mm
                  ISO 100
                  Last edited by Abuazka; 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

PS- Proving once again my family are always right "you're early for everything" I like to think I'm just well organised And Mike & Obijuan, you guys are like those kids at school who bags their place in the line!
                    Gorgeous shot, I love the reflection in the floor!
                    Flickr

Comment

Assignment: "Composition: "Get Down" Feb. 22 - March 7, 2012

I found this assignment very difficult - I got down low at home and at the park but none of the shots seemed to work. This was my best of the bunch. We tempted the swan close with some bread and I took the shot crouched by the side of the lake.

Swan up close

Camera Canon PowerShot SX230 HS
                      Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
                      Aperture f/3.5
                      Focal Length 6.2 mm
                      ISO Speed 100
                      Exposure Bias 0 EV
                      Flash Off, Did not fire
                      Date and Time (Original) 2012:02:26 14:03:26+13:00
                      Flickr

Comment

get down

1966m and ... going up

Comment

getting down on the road

DSC_0057 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
                          Last edited by wulf; 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM. Reason: 740px max width please (and don't forget to check the rules if you want this included in the contest)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwiGirl View Post
                            Lily

Exif Data-
                            Date taken February 26, 2012
                            Camera Sony DSC-N2
                            Exposure 0.1 sec (1/10)
                            Aperture f/2.8
                            Focal Length 7.9 mm
                            ISO Speed 160
                            Flash Off, Did not fire

I have to say that I absolutely love your picture, it's adorable and I'm not even a cat lover!!. The reflection, sharpness and simpleness are fantastic.
                            Last edited by Saralonde; 03-01-2012, 12:48 AM. Reason: quoted image

Comment

Looking for Shells..
                              I've been working on a series of 'shell' shots lately, so thought I would continue for this assignment. I have however changed my original entry as today is my sons 3rd birthday and he came down with croup so this is for him. Happy Birthday Finn!

Looking for Shells

Camera Canon PowerShot G12
                              Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
                              Aperture f/4.0
                              Focal Length 6.1 mm
                              ISO Speed 200
                              Exposure Bias 0 EV
                              Flash Off, Did not fire
                              Last edited by Sashjasu; 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM. Reason: change of image
                              Canon EOS 7D & Canon G12 Powershot 6.1-30.5mm
                              Lenses: EF 50mm, EF-S 17-55mm, EF 70-200mm, EF 100mm f2.8 Macro
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/sachas_snaps/
                              http://www.facebook.com/MomentsBySacha
                              http://www.momentsbysacha.com

Comment

Working...
                              X