Ghetto Lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto Lighting

Ghetto Lighting is just lighting that you have on hand (eg desk lamp or torch) rather than proper photographic strobes etc.

Im sick so i have not had the energy nor the desire to even pick up camera so im cheating and posting one i did a few weeks ago...

as you can see .. my lamp was off to the right of me and slighly to the front... also it was placed a little lower...

Please remember to add the "Assignment: Ghetto Lighting" tag to your posts! Exif data must be still intact and images must be taken between "2nd Jan- 15th Jan" goodluck!!!

Next weeks Assignment will be "Good Use of DOF" (depth of field)

Cheers
    Leisa

Nikon D80 | Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM | Sigma APO 70-300 | Sigma 50mm macro | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikkor 18-70mm | Lensbaby 2.0 | SB-800 Speedlight | Black Macbook C2D
    Little pixels from my world . Flickr

Here's one of my older photos that I used a desk lamp in. Would have been a lot easier to do if I had some help with the light. XD This isn't for the assignment but I did use 'ghetto lighting'

"Through Struggle"

Through Struggle
    Last edited by Claggy; 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattclaghorn/

Comment

IMG_0537

This is my first post of a photo to this thread!! It is not eligible for the challenge because it was taken earlier but I would love to receive any critique! This is my grandson fascinated with a flashlight...

Gail from RI
      Canon G9
      Gail
      Canon G9

Comment

flashlight

The power was out for quite awhile and this is my one year old son having a ball with the "light".

Photobucket

I took this picture in November so I don't think it is eligible for the assignment. This is my first week on this forum. I love the motivation it has given me. I received a new camera for Christmas and vow to learn truly how to use it!
        Melinda
        Canon Girl
        flickr

Comment

assignment|ghetto lighting

desk lamp | ghetto lighting

www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Oliag View Post
            IMG_0537

This is my first post of a photo to this thread!! It is not eligible for the challenge because it was taken earlier but I would love to receive any critique! This is my grandson fascinated with a flashlight...

Gail from RI
            Canon G9
            That's realllllllly cute! I might try to steal that idea and work it into my portraits
            Now with VIDEO
            Tell Liz to GET LOST!
            What a Trip... Getting Lost on America's Back Roads
            A 10,000 mile, 100 day journey photographing America's back roads and lost highways...

Comment

not for assignment, just for fun, Taken on the wrong day

lil pyro
              Thought I would just share this one. How is this for ghetto lighting?? My friends daughter playing with her sparkler, then she decided to set my boot scraper on fire with it!! She was creating her own Ghetto lighting!! was funny!!

Comment

Hi Pooks, did you have a flash fire in this shot?

Just incase anyone was having a bit of trouble working out what ghetto lighting is / looks like... you can have a look here [there may be partial nudity on the referred flickr page]

Sime
                www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Hey eveyone, I just wanted to post a really great sample of ghetto lighting. I only modeled for this pic, so it obviously it's not my entry. The photo itself is by PHY Photo (myspace.com/phyphoto). I hope no one gets mad, since I modeled for it, she said I am allowed to post it.

Anyway, this is a great sample of ghetto lighting! the only lighting used were the xmas lights you see... it did require an extremely long exposure time (close to 30 secs), so unless you know someone who can freeze like a popcicle, you might wanna try an inanimate object. I'm gonna be doing my ghetto entry over the weekend, I plan on workin the ropelight.

Now with VIDEO
                  Tell Liz to GET LOST!
                  What a Trip... Getting Lost on America's Back Roads
                  A 10,000 mile, 100 day journey photographing America's back roads and lost highways...

Comment

Originally posted by Sime™ View Post
                    Hi Pooks, did you have a flash fire in this shot?

Just incase anyone was having a bit of trouble working out what ghetto lighting is / looks like... you can have a look here [there may be partial nudity on the referred flickr page]

Sime
                    yes, off to the side. Another reason for it to not be in the contest as well right??

Comment

Originally posted by pooks View Post
                      yes, off to the side. Another reason for it to not be in the contest as well right??
                      ...Indeed, maybe this photo would be better in the critique section this time around? one of the criteria is that no flash / strobe was used... sorrrrrrry

Sime
                      www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Assignment: Ghetto Lighting

This is my shot at it:

glass lid

I read last month in Popular Photography about shooting glass. And it inspired me. Sooooo, I took my son's desk lamp, put in a "Reveal" light bulb so I would not have the yellow cast, grabbed my black mud room bench, attached the desk lamp below and behind the bench and shot about 75 shots. I metered off of the lid and then bracketed my shots. I choose the exposure I liked best. I adjusted in curves and then added a bit of grain in PS. My outakes are on my flickr site.

Hope you like it!
                        Tracey
                        Flickr
                        This Too Shall Pass

Comment

wouldn't modifying light from a strobe with a DIY softbox or ringlight or other method of diffusion also be considered "ghetto lighting" ? i mean, there's many ways to interpret this.. personally i would like to build something to modify my light rather than light someone with a candle or something... just my .02 on it.
                          Nikon D80, Nikon D40
                          AF-S DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G, AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, AF 50mm f/1.8, AF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6
                          SB-600/ SB-24 / 2x SunPak 383 / Modified Radio Slaves / Various stands and umbrellas.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/ansimation/ - http://www.travisballard.com

Comment

Originally posted by ansi View Post
                            wouldn't modifying light from a strobe with a DIY softbox or ringlight or other method of diffusion also be considered "ghetto lighting" ? i mean, there's many ways to interpret this.. personally i would like to build something to modify my light rather than light someone with a candle or something... just my .02 on it.
                            Sorry, not for this assignment... This is purely "non camera flash equipment" lighting... Desk lamps, candles, torches....etc

ok?

Thanks,
                            Sime
                            www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Assignment: Ghetto Lighting

I guess that I had a different take on the idea behind this assignment than the rest of you. Here's what I did. A few weeks ago I built myself a simple lightbox (see http://www.louannsplace.com/lightbox/lightbox.html). I also own a small Mini-Maglight (see below).

I left the lightbox lights OFF, set up my little scene, and set up my camera on a tripod outside of the lightbox. I was in a room that gets no outside light, so when I turned off the overhead lights it was pitch black in there. I used the "bulb" setting on the camera and a cable shutter release with a thing that holds the button down.

I pushed the button down and then shined the maglight around the "scene" to light it up. I had to experiment a few times to get the image not too hot and not too dark.

Here is the original image as shot:

Here is an idea of the flashlight that I was using:

Finally, here is the image after post-processing in Camera RAW and Photoshop cs3:

Exposure information: Canon Rebel, shot in RAW, f4, 1 second (bulb setting), ISO100, 50mm fixed length lens
                              - Lou Ann
                              Feel free to re-edit my photos and repost on DPS only.
                              http://www.AngazaPhoto.com
                              http://www.photo.net/photos/Aepelbacher
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/laepelba/

Comment

Working...
                              X