No announcement yet.

Picture Size **Please Read Before Posting**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the FAQ pointer, Nicole. Just off to try inserting a reference to Flickr picture now.
    Last edited by peterbryenton; 08-26-2007, 09:49 AM.
    Peter Bryenton
    www.brypix.com

Comment

No problem Peter Looks like you got the picture working.

There are a few threads on exif, but basically, some programs get rid of the exif information when they get saved certain ways. For example, if you use "Save for Web" in Photoshop, you lose the exif, but if you just use "Save As" it all stays. And if you have exif enabled in your Flickr preferences you should be able to see the information.

PS, you should still put your shot into the assignment. The date limit only applies to the mini-contest. So while yours wouldn't be eligible for that, it still fits great into the assignment thread
      Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
      Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
      My Flickr

Comment

how about increasing it to 800 on the long side? i'm sorry, but 600 is just too small. there should be a poll to see how many members are on slow connections where size is an issue. i couldn't imagine it being more than 2-3%. it's also even harder to accurately judge a person's photograph when it's that small. i do, however, understand the bandwith issue.

i mean, just look at how much of a difference this makes (in a good way).

compared to

or at least ease up on those of us that chose to post slightly larger images. i'm not sure anyone's monitor is so small they couldn't see an 800x800 image without scrolling. even my old 14" laptop didn't have problems with it.

my $.02
        -Matt
        Canon 30D, 17-40 f4L, 50 f1.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG Macro, 30 f1.4, battery grip, 430EX speedlight, Nikon SB-25, wireless transmitters/remotes, various filters, etc, etc.

msm fotki OR msm flickr

Comment

Another solution would be to post a 600px image, but link the image to a larger sized one and add a footnote stating that there is a link there. This would allow the page to load faster, as well as letting a user view a larger size of the picture if wanted to.

Although I do agree that probably very few people have slow internet connections.
          Canon 350D, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 75-300mm 4-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
          flickr|Photoblog
          A picture is a frozen slice of time painted on paper.
          OK to edit and repost my shots on DPS

Comment

Originally posted by matthewchj View Post
            Another solution would be to post a 600px image, but link the image to a larger sized one and add a footnote stating that there is a link there. This would allow the page to load faster, as well as letting a user view a larger size of the picture if wanted to.
            I definitely think that the first point is an excellent reminder to people who want to show a larger version of their image. Flickr says in their TOS that you are to link back to Flickr anyways (I know lots of people use other hosting sites, but I'm just pointing out that it's easy to link to a larger size from there). *Personally* I think it becomes more difficult to have a standard if different rules apply to different areas, but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, as a comparison, I belong to at least one group on Flickr that only allows the "Small" size of the photo to be posted to threads, so there's a whole lot more detail visible at the medium size.
            Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
            My Flickr

Comment

you nailed it on the head. NOT everyone uses flickr. and not every site has that option.
              for me, personally, i use fotki as my main account and will throw up a handful of pictures on a free flickr account every so often. i keep my images as large as i'm allowed on fotki because every other site i post on allows me to post that large. i'm not going to downsize all my images for one site out of seven that i visit on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Nicole View Post
              ...I know lots of people use other hosting sites, but I'm just pointing out that it's easy to link to a larger size from there...
              -Matt
              Canon 30D, 17-40 f4L, 50 f1.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG Macro, 30 f1.4, battery grip, 430EX speedlight, Nikon SB-25, wireless transmitters/remotes, various filters, etc, etc.

msm fotki OR msm flickr

Comment

It's a pretty easy fix for size using html, but I also realize that many people don't know html either... In all honesty I wonder why forums don't give you the option to resize photos on posting like blogs do (that's just a random wondering type thing) .
                My Flickr

Comment

How to post a new thread?

I'm trying to post a new thread but can't find a link that says "new thread"

Can anyone give me a hand?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnywink View Post
                    I'm trying to post a new thread but can't find a link that says "new thread"

Can anyone give me a hand?
                    Go to the title page of each forum (click on Assignments, Critique My Shot, etc.). At the top of each section there is a box that says, "New Thread". Click on that and there you go!
                    Linda
                    My Gear
                    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
                    flickr

Comment

Hello All: I'm brand new here, and struggling to get on board. I mostly use Webshots for sharing with family and friends and wonder if posting the "Forum Thumbnail" like the following would be acceptable?

Comment

Hi CanJan You can also use the 500px or 600px size on Webshots, which will make your picture the same size as most other people's here. It's also preferable so people can get a better view without having to leave the thread since then people will be more likely to comment.

PS, thanks for pointing that site out, I'll add it to the list of visual tutorials when I get a chance.
                        Last edited by Nicole; 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM.
                        My Flickr

Comment

Hi CanJan You can also use the 500px or 600px size on Webshots, which will make your picture the same size as most other people's here. It's also preferable so people can get a better view without having to leave the thread since then people will be more likely to comment.

PS, thanks for pointing that site out, I'll add it to the list of visual tutorials when I get a chance.
                          Not sure I understand fully yet - If I post the smaller size on Webshots, it will still only give a thumbnail on this forum so that would not result in a better view on forum - I'm missing something???

Comment

Ohhhh - I think I have figured this out - I'm trying again:

Comment

Yep, you've got it now
                              My Flickr

Comment

Yep, you've got it now
                                Thanks Nicole! A little late for the "EYES" contest
                                but have to get all these technical problems out of the way before enjoyment can set in

Comment

Working...
                                X