No announcement yet.

Picture Size **Please Read Before Posting**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. One more question. How many photos is it appropriate to post for one assignment?

Comment

Personally I prefer to post just one picture per posting (unless it is something like a "before and after" thread where two ore more are needed) and to let a few other people contribute before putting another up - if I've got a whole series, I would rather pick the best and then link back to the rest of the set.

It's largely a matter of discretion - the ground rule is just "be nice" (don't hog things and pay attention to what other people contribute rather than trying to turn it into a personal gallery).

Wulf
      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Originally posted by longtymago View Post
        Thanks. One more question. How many photos is it appropriate to post for one assignment?
        if this is strictly for assignments.. then 1-2 images for each post... come back in a day and add another post if you have taken more for an assignment but yes like wulf says.. be nice and think about others also
        Cheers
        Leisa

Nikon D80 | Sigma 50-500mm EX DG HSM | Sigma APO 70-300 | Sigma 50mm macro | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikkor 18-70mm | Lensbaby 2.0 | SB-800 Speedlight | Black Macbook C2D
        Little pixels from my world . Flickr

Comment

I'm new and I thought I was doing good by reading the FAQ before posting.
          I saw the Picture Size heading on this thread but still I thought that must just be for attachments.
          I assumed sites like FLICKR & Photobucket bore the brunt of bandwith and you were more or less re-directed to their sites from the embedded links when you used them.
          Also if you want people to post no more than 2 photos at a time then why not set the limit at 2 rather than 4 as it is now?
          At any rate since posting photos seems to be the thing to do around here this sort of regulation should appear in the FAQ.
          Maybe I read the wrong FAQ

Comment

Hi Fish Noir Foul (Great name btw)-

The relevant picture sizes are also posted in the FAQs. From the posting from Flickr part of the FAQ:
            Choose the “Small” or “Medium” size by clicking on it (Please do not use the large size since it makes the page load slowly for some of the DPS readers and it does not fit the pages very well).
            As far as bandwidth goes, it's not just a concern for the site, but also for users. Not everyone is on a broadband connection, or even an unlimited bandwidth broadband connection. Larger pictures = more to download for each user. And as wulf said in an earlier post:
            3. Bandwidth costs. At the moment, DPS is provided for free. I am not sure what kind of income it generates but I do know that bandwidth costs. Even where the load is spread across external image hosts (like Flickr), that still pushes up individual's download limits (total levels could mount up over the course of a month, especially if there is limited caching on the local machine).
            And to address your final point, I'm not actually sure where you saw the 4 picture limit that you're referring to, so feel free to point us there so that could be changed
            Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
            Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
            My Flickr

Comment

4 Picture Limit

In my stupidity I tried to post more than 4 photos at once and got an ERROR message saying that 4 per post was the limit.
              So I posted 4.
              That's why I said that.
              I really like this site. I'll have to free-up some time to get the proper lay of the land and learn some stuff and hopefully contribute some decent photos.

Comment

Not all large images count against DPS's bandwidth

If you're worried about bandwidth costs, you might also ask people to consider including their images via an external URL. For instance, it's very easy to post an image to Flickr and use the static URL to include it here. No cost to DPS or to the poster, and takes only marginally more time than uploading directly.
                My Flickr photostream.

Comment

But it still costs some of us individuals in bandwidth too. We all love everyone's pictures, and when we do we'll click through to see larger ones But don't forget that part of the concern is for the users who are on dial up (yes, they do exist) and those of us who have limited bandwidth on our broadband connections Thanks!!
                  Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
                  My Flickr

Comment

Is it the deminsion or actual file size that's affecting the bandwidth?
                    I have been using my photoshop CS2 and reducing the image to about 1200x1600 and then use the "Save for Web" option and optimise it to a maximum file size of 95k. I thought I had read to keep it within one of those parameters of 97k or 600x800px.

I am a high-speeder but also like to see an image with enough size to it to impress me. I actually have been skipping over smaller images that don't show enough detail because it's too small. (I have dual moniitors and have set my screens to 1024x768/flat and 1280x1024/crt)

Comment

Dimension affects screen layout; file size is the parameter for bandwidth. The default medium dimensions on Flickr (500px on the longest side) give enough of an image to at least make a judgement about whether to look at it larger while keeping file size reasonable.

Wulf
                      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
                      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

*bump*

Bumping this thread for people who haven't noticed the sticky or who are new For more information about how to post pictures that link back to the larger size, check out the FAQs
                        My Flickr

Comment

Picture Size

I'm on a very limited budget, and can't afford dial-up. Large pictures take a lot of time to download. I think it's a wonderful idea you limited picture size to small-medium.

Comment

Thanx alooot

Comment

Newbie checking picture details

Hello.

Thanks for an interesting place to visit.

3562_Seeing_Double

This would have been my submission for the Assignment:Seeing Double project, but my camera tells me I took it on August 12 2007, so it's outside the window specified (and the camera never lies, ho-ho).

I searched the FAQ to see how to add EXIF data to a small jpeg like this one, but I couldn't find anything. Then I went round in ever-decreasing circles with Adobe Image Ready and Photoshop help files, before giving up. Please could someone help me with this?

Regards,

Peter Bryenton
                              www.brypix.com
                              Last edited by peterbryenton; 08-26-2007, 09:46 AM. Reason: FAQ found (thanks Nicole)
                              Peter Bryenton
                              www.brypix.com

Comment

For those of you on a low budget, there's a very good free image editor for re-sizing (and many other tweaks). It's called IrfanView and is available for download at www.irfanview.com
                                Peter Bryenton
                                www.brypix.com

Comment

Working...
                                X