No announcement yet.

Keeping EXIF data for assignments....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops - sorry, was on page 4, permalink 39.

Comment

When I want or need to know that information in Picasa which is my post editing software I use, when I click on a photo I want to use, I choose Properties and it gives me that information, even on my edited ones I have saved instead of save as...

I don't know that all photo editing software does that or not, but I just found out that feature recently for something else I was doing and thought about it when I was reading this topic. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Exif Data

So is the rule that the exif data must be kept with the image or can we just post it into the message?

Comment

Just post it beneath the message.
          Linda
          My Gear
          OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse101 View Post
            when you download your image to your computer, right click on the image and select "Properties" then select "Details" (top tabs) there you can scroll down and it should contain all the info for that particular image.
            Thanks Jesse101, that's very helpful!
            Read, read, shoot and learn
            pchengphotography.blogspot.com

Comment

what if there is no exif data? i take photo's on a compact camera sometimes..

Comment

Originally posted by phasta View Post
                what if there is no exif data? i take photo's on a compact camera sometimes..
                Most compacts save EXIF. There won't be as many details, but the basics should be there. Give it a try by looking at the "properties" on any image that you've captured.

On my 5-year-old BlackBerry, which has a "camera", I get the pixel dimensions but nothing that looks like aperture, shutter, etc. On an old (low-end, low-cost) Canon PowerShot 210, I get it all.
                Last edited by dasmith232; 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM.
                Dave.
                Some pictures... (500px)

Comment

ahh, you are correct dasmith, thanks again!

Comment

thanks i was wondering how to do that

Comment

I use IrfanWiev as my image editor. There is an "I" (info) at the toolbar. When klicking here, an information panel pops up, showing different information about the image, also the EXIF info. After editing, when pressing "S" for "Save", another frame pops up asking if I want to keep the EXIF data with the saved image. Useful.
                      You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Comment

Links to Metadata (EXIF, IPTC and XMP) Article

The metadata captured by your camera is called EXIF data, which stands for Exchangeable Image File Format (by Sue Chastain in the article Metadata - What is Metadata? EXIF, IPTC and XMP Metadata Used ...).

ExifyMe is a good program for restoring your EXIF data if it got stripped. Just use the original photo in ExifyMe to copy the data back onto your edited photo. Another program that is very useful for adding location data is GeoSetter. I use this when I shoot wrestling tournaments indoors. All the shots are from the same venue so rather than waste battery on the GPS accessory, I just add the location to the photos in post processing before uploading to Flickr.

That being said, the original suggestion to use "save as" to preserve EXIF data is probably the simplest and fastest method. If you start with an original image and keep working in that file the EXIF data will be preserved. If you start with a new blank file and then past your photo elements into it, you will loose the EXIF data, since the blank file has none to begin with, and pasting elements into it does not bring along the EXIF data.

Comment

Hi I like it

Comment

Working...
                          X