Competitions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitions?

I spend a decent amount of time trying to find ways to drag people, kicking and screaming, into a better class of photography... I'm currently waking up at 4am (not JUST because of my seven week old boy who seems to like snow) but because I'm trying to piece together a GREAT competition to kick off the 2010 forum year. I wanted to get some feedback from all 79,000 of you please...

If dPS was to run a competition, what matters more to you - having your photo hung in a gallery as part of the prize or winning cash or prizes as the reward.

What sort of competition would make you really REALLY try hard...

I'm interested in your feedback - so thanks in advance.
    www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

Hi Sime. Glad to hear the new addition is giving you problems. Shows all is normal. Re competition, money and photographic equipment as a prize is always motivational and welcome, but for me it would be recognition; name in lights; even published somewhere. Is it possible, for instance, to negotiate with a journal to have the winning photo published? THAT would really turn me on. I would have thought that if a journal was approached they might jump at the chance that 79000 people might go and buy their publication just to see the results. Good luck with whatever you come up with. I look forward to taking part. PAUL
    Last edited by Preacherman; 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM.
    Don't kill the dream: execute it
    Canon 500D;Canon 18-55 kit lens;Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3 DG OS;Sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG Macro; Samsung P&S L730; lots more I'm desperate for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43224829@N03/

Comment

Hi Paul,

Indeed - I'm all for finding a way to have dPS'ers published as part of a competition to find dPS' best images! Thanks for your feedback.

...and the little guy is very active! :-)
      www | twitter | facebook

Comment

I would really have to ditto what Paul said. The prizes are nice, but what I really want is for someone to tell me that my photo is GREAT! That's what I really want.
        http://bendoutashape.com
        It's ok to edit my pics for DPS only / critique is always welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by naeno View Post
          I would really have to ditto what Paul said. The prizes are nice, but what I really want is for someone to tell me that my photo is GREAT! That's what I really want.
          Recognition is a big thing, I completely agree...

What do others think?

Prizes v's Recognition?
          www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Ditto exactly! But I am still in the learning stages so encouragement is a BIG deal for me. Someone who's a very experienced photography may want more than that because they've already been told plenty of times that they have great photos.
            -Rachel
            “Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter.” – Ansel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Preacherman View Post
              Hi Sime. Glad to hear the new addition is giving you problems. Shows all is normal. Re competition, money and photographic equipment as a prize is always motivational and welcome, but for me it would be recognition; name in lights; even published somewhere. Is it possible, for instance, to negotiate with a journal to have the winning photo published? THAT would really turn me on. I would have thought that if a journal was approached they might jump at the chance that 79000 people might go and buy their publication just to see the results. Good luck with whatever you come up with. I look forward to taking part. PAUL
              Originally posted by bethard728 View Post
              Ditto exactly! But I am still in the learning stages so encouragement is a BIG deal for me. Someone who's a very experienced photography may want more than that because they've already been told plenty of times that they have great photos.
              I agree entirely with the above. maybe the subject of the competition could be something that will appeal to all levels of photographers too???

What i'm getting at is i think there would be more contribution if someone who's a novice like me has as much chance as a seasoned pro. how you do this i'm not sure??? maybe the winner has come up with the most innovative shot etc???

just a thought

Jonathan
              http://rage-images.co.uk

Comment

All depends on the level of photog doesn't it?

I mean I would love to have a armature work published no doubt! But at the same time, knowing my piece won and receiving some sort of prize that could be used to further my learning would be just as good if not better.

For someone who has a nice kit already a new lens might not be that important, getting published would be. But for someone just starting out being able to say WOW that pic got me this neet lens or helped fund it would be equally if not more rewarding.

The person then can take on more difficult pictures or places and further his/her reach.

Just my thought...
                [Body] Nikon d3100 |
                [Glass] Nikon 18-55mmVR | Nikon AF-S 55-200 | Nikon 35mm 1.8 AF-S
                [Flash] Nikon SB600 |
                [Other] Sears 28mm f2.8 | Nikon 50mm f1.8 E | Tokina 80-200 f/4 |

Comment

What sort of competition would make you really REALLY try hard...
                  I'm not much into competitions. The only ones I've ever considered entering have been sponsored by the small local communities I have emotional ties to.
                  Dan Crowther - N6006, D40X | 50mm 1.8f | 18-55mm kit | 55-200 VR | 70-300mm Quantaray

Gallery
                  52 Week Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gobae View Post
                    I'm not much into competitions. The only ones I've ever considered entering have been sponsored by the small local communities I have emotional ties to.
                    Do you have an emotional tie to dPS?
                    www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Honestly, just HAVING the competition has done wonders for my exposure. I got lots of views on my Flickr site from the Weekly Assignments, whether I win them or not. I got tons of hits from the "Best of 2009" Assignment, both before and after the results came out (I was an honorable mention).

As far as prizes or recognition, it depends. I'm not interested in a new camera bag, external hard-drive, or other small item...I have it. In fact, for the prize of the "Best of 2009", had I won, I would have asked that you'd given it to the runner up, or I would have given it to a friend. Now if you were giving away a 5DMarkII, you've got my attention

However, with bigger prizes, you get bigger and better competition. So it depends on what DPS wants. If you want pros and experienced photographers getting into the competition, then you'd offer big prizes. If you'd like to keep the competition to us amateurs, then recognition would be the way to go.

If you kept with the ~$100 prizes, it'd be nice to see a selection. I don't need another camera bag, but a SmugMug account would be awesome. Or a Vivtar 285HV for aspiring strobists. Light stands, umbrellas, Black Rapids RS-4s ...it'd be nice if the winner could choose their prize based on his/her style of photography.

Comment

I have never entered any competition mostly due personal insecurities. But I think this the year I will . As for prizes, somting that will make me a better photographer like having a photographer like Leibovitz or Babak( he is in Toronto) or yourself look at the winners body of work and give an overall critique of what the person is doing right and or wrong.
                        [http://www.flickr.com/photos/paullacroix/ Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

http://www.lacroixphoto.net/

Comment

I think the best you could do is get the images published...Say top 4 images from each category. Categories being amateur, intermediate, advanced....I think the only way to break it into categories somewhat fairly would be by the gear used. (If you're buying pro gear, you should be able to use it.) I would be afraid to allow individuals to choose their level as some would compete below their actual capabilities just to win.

3 categories with 4 "winners" from each equals a calendar that could be sold here.

I don't generally compete other than to take on "assignments" to give me direction/challenge.
                          Steve
                          the Photographic Academy.com
                          SharpShooter Industries
                          My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

So many great ideas here. It would be nice to get recognition for a great photo plus, because of limited income, I'd love to be able to get more photography equipment. As far as being emotionally attached to DPS, this has been one of the main sources of education and inspiration for me as a 'tog baby. I appreciate this forum, it's staff and the people who post.

Bekkie

Comment

Originally posted by Sime™ View Post
                              Recognition is a big thing, I completely agree...
                              aka bragging rights
                              What do others think?
                              Im interested
                              Prizes v's Recognition?
                              Maybe a combo of both? And also maybe the competition can inclued SOOC shots, I find when pics are too "photoshopped" it takes the fun out of the actual picture taking experience. Dunno, just my thoughts
                              Canon Rebel XSi - 18-55mm IS kit lens - 75-300 - 50mm f1.8 II.

Comment

Working...
                              X