No announcement yet.

Competitions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As another newbie, I would agree with dennismc. Some new toys would be great! Being able to add "winner of such and such" would also look good on a resume, whether other recognition was forthcoming or not. Either way, I will certainly do my best even if there were no prize!

PS: I would love to enter more of the DPS weekly competitions, but I am just too slow to get my entry in within the time frame. Perhaps this contest will give us a little more time to play with different ideas?
    Cheers!
    - Ariana
    Nikon D7000 with AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm and Nikkor 70-300 mm, plus extension tubes. What more could a girl want?

Comment

Originally posted by Sime™ View Post
      Less vague? ...Try being less rude!
      Try being less sensitive. While BCampbell's questions could be taken as somewhat aggressive, I've noticed (in general) you seem to assume there's some "challenge to your authority" when they're asked in a direct manner.

You asked for honest input on this matter and BCampbell gave it.
      Dan Crowther - N6006, D40X | 50mm 1.8f | 18-55mm kit | 55-200 VR | 70-300mm Quantaray

Gallery
      52 Week Blog

Comment

Come on guys, let's just play nice I think a choice would be a great way to go...like maybe offer three prizes and 1st, second and third get to choose the prize they want in that order. You could offer equipment, cash and publication. For me, publication would be really cool, but would depend on where it is I guess. I'm in Canada and if it was something relevant to me it would be better...not sure how it's possible to make any prizes relevant to 79000 across the world I agree with the idea about the exposure/recognition being in context. But I also agree that it's hard to take a stand when it's vague. Yeah if the equipment was something I already had, why try? But mostly, I love new toys and would probably participate anyway. The biggest problem may be this: people may be intimidated and not even try because they figure they have no chance against the pros on here, even though we should all know a great shot can come from anyone. Where will the contest be posted...somewhere obvious I hope, so I don't forget and miss out.
        ~C
        ~Carrie or Gerry
        www.robinsnestphotography.ca
        www.flickr.com/photos/robinsnestphotography
        Fan Page (we'd love new fans!): www.facebook.com/robinsnestphotography

Comment

Prizes and Trophies! Awards and Accolades!

Great loot goes so far, but awards are the real king of prizes.

Popular vote on picture competitions I think would be great!
          Thanks,

Elkidogz
          Nikon D80, D60, 775
          Review my photos at: Flickr

Comment

I think the recognition would be huge if you hope to catapult your career. If you just really enjoy photography at a hobby, then maybe prizes would be better for most. $$$ or equipment. HOWEVER. One of the other posters suggested if a magazine published the winning photo that 79,000 people would buy it to see the results ect. I am sure if a top photography mag were to post finalists and winners that some major names would jump on board for material prizes just for the publicity. I would gather if it was a highly publisized event, sponsors would flock. 79,000 people in on room (website) all interested in the same thing. I would jump.

Comment

Competitions will always have judges that are biased. I suggest instead, to let the whole membership of DPS be the judge, one vote per member that has a minimum of 50 posts. Let the category be FFA (free for all) on any subject using DSLR or P&S media and members will have several rounds of voting. (i.e, weekly winner, monthly winner, finalist 12 etc.). The prize will be a name brand digital DSLR. The recognition will be the posting of winning images on the DPS website title blocks, etc.
              "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when sh*t happens." Raoul Isidro

Comment

One of my New Year's resolutions is to throw my hat into the ring for each of the DPS assignments this year - though I am already finding it hard to find the time

Material prizes don't do much for me and, I assume, would present some financial and logistical challenges for DPS given it's worldwide appeal.

I love the assignments and the amount of creativity and expertise displayed from throughout the DPS family. However, whilst the idea of prizes might be motivational to some, I can only imagine the demotivational effect of constantly being outgunned by some very talented photographers who inhabit the competitions.

Thinking back to my days as a member of a real-life physical photography club, I would suggest that it would be useful to develop some categories for entry (perhaps we'll have to trust people to be honest with their level of knowledge and experience).

Perhaps a Novice / Intermediate / Advanced / Pro category system would suffice.

Submit your entry and nominate your category. Get a place in a category and you get bumped up to the next level - motivation to improve.

Points system - most "proper" photography competitions are scored on a points system, not only to determine the winners, but also to recognise those who find time to enter.

Perhaps an allocation of points for simply entering, combined with a cumulative league table over the year would provide recognition for those who enter regularly, but never quite get up there with the winners?
                Neil
                www.hargreavesphotography.com.au | Twitter | Blog | email
                Canon 5D2 | Canon 50D | Canon 10D
                17-40L | 24-70L | 35L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100L Macro IS | 135L | 85/1.8 | Sigma 50/1.4 | Pocketwizards & other lighting stuff

Comment

Logistics nightmare aside, I would possibly go for the following - have a rating system that gives a member an overall rating at the end of a period (say every 6 months or so).
                  An assignment win counts big, entering all the assignments counts towards a good rating, maybe introduce a system that allows members to give a rating (only once each) to assignment entries only (as opposed to all posts).

Also add a term/condition that all images in assignments cannot by copyrighted etc... This may prevent too many "pros" from entering every assignment (as I see this is highlighted as a concern by a number of people here).

Then you have an alternating system, first overall winner (highest total rating over a period) gets published/hung in gallery, then next period winner gets gear valued at $X. I think that if it is over a time, then it can be a very substantial prize too so it will really get people entering (myself included as I seem to always just miss deadlines).

Also the issue raised of "biased judges" (as somebody said) goes out the window to a large degree as your rating can consist of assignment wins (judges), consistent entries (you the member), and overall ratings (other members - many amateurs).

And to qualify to even comment here I better get my butt into gear entering often and on time!!!

Andrew
                  Canon EOS 7D + 20D, 70-200mm F4, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 50mm F1.4, 550EX.

Comment

re: competitions

I would love, love to have recognition from any community regarding my photography. Cash prizes or equipment would be the chocolate icing on the chocolate cake. I have just gotten started posting photographs on Flickr and Facebook. I don't always get this blog read in time to enter contests, but I will keep trying!

Comment

Originally posted by sk66 View Post
                      I think the best you could do is get the images published...Say top 4 images from each category. Categories being amateur, intermediate, advanced....I think the only way to break it into categories somewhat fairly would be by the gear used. (If you're buying pro gear, you should be able to use it.) I would be afraid to allow individuals to choose their level as some would compete below their actual capabilities just to win.

3 categories with 4 "winners" from each equals a calendar that could be sold here.

I don't generally compete other than to take on "assignments" to give me direction/challenge.

I agree with sk66's post about splitting it up a bit. As a beginner im really put off doing the assignments (I do them for practice, just don't post on the thread) due to the amount of advanced photographers posting.

So yeah. Beginner, intermediate, advanced is a great idea imo.

Personally as much as i like money and new gear at this moment in time bragging rights/being published would probably top that - especially a peer decided win. Everyone likes an ego trip right?
                      http://www.snapixel.com/sets/BEGM83

Comment

Originally posted by BEGM83 View Post
                        As a beginner im really put off doing the assignments
                        I really want to see you entering - I want you to push yourself and get a photo into the next assignment... Nobody is here to judge you, they're here to help - and I for one will slap anyone that puts anyone down for trying (eSlap!) Don't be scared, that's why we're here...

Assignments are great for helping you push yourselves... Give it a try!

Sime
                        www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

Comment

I really want to see you entering - I want you to push yourself and get a photo into the next assignment... Nobody is here to judge you, they're here to help - and I for one will slap anyone that puts anyone down for trying (eSlap!) Don't be scared, that's why we're here...

Assignments are great for helping you push yourselves... Give it a try!

Sime

Ha ha ha yes boss!! *skulks off*

It's just me being intimidated nothing to do with the comments lmao

Comment

Bwa ha haaa... BOSS!... yay

GO on, do it... I dare you!

DOUBLE dare you...
                            www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

Comment

Grrr i hate it when someone dares me to do something....i..cant....not.....

GRRRRR

Comment

Nobody is here to judge you, they're here to help
                                Well, except for the competition judges.

Seriously though, if you put up shots in the Critique section you will get good, honest, reviews and suggestions without any cruel jabs, or sarcasm.
                                Dan Crowther - N6006, D40X | 50mm 1.8f | 18-55mm kit | 55-200 VR | 70-300mm Quantaray

Gallery
                                52 Week Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X