fixing clipped or blown channels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lputman View Post
    I'm at work right now but if I'm not mistaken you can do some type of a levels or curves window that will show clipping. I'll pull yours into CS3 when I get home this evening and see if it comes back to me. In CS3, can't a curves window be brought up and a choice for "show clipping"?
    If you bring up the histogram tab and select the red channel - then position your mouse to the far right of the histogram (until channel 255 is displayed) - it will then show the number of pixels (see attached example).
    Nikon D300, D80, Nikkor 18-200VR, Nikkor 50 1.8D, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, SB-600.

Comment

Thanks potterm, that I knew. I thought I've seen where you can actually see the image and it will show clipped areas. I'm going to see if I can find where I read/saw that.

ttosifa, you always have such great input on color. Care to share what books you've been reading in this arena?
      Lori Putman flickr
      ~No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys
      ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
      7D | 300L f/4 IS | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II | 135L | 35L | 100/2.0 | 50/1.4
      430 EX, 580 EX II Speedlites

Comment

ttosifa, you always have such great input on color. Care to share what books you've been reading in this arena?
        Thanks! (blush)

My favorite book on color is "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction" (5th edition) by Dan Margulis. It's the only one I can think of right now that is an absolute must read, except for maybe his other book "Photoshop LAB Color," which is equally fantastic if you are interested in the LAB colorspace.

I read a LOT, so I have picked up quite a few tidbits here and there, such as the Grecco statement in "Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait." The statement is, "If you are shooting without a tech crew, I suggest you open the image up in Apple's Aperture software or Photoshop RAW, and examine it to make sure that you have a good histogram. Look to see what areas have no detail in the blacks and if any of the skin tone has blown out in the red channel. Skin tone is the most critical, because if you have no detail in a patch of skin it will need extensive retouching." Like I said, I have not seen this elsewhere, but blown reds are easy to spot when you know what to look for. You can easily blow out the reds long before you get general highlight blinkies on your camera.

I noticed something similar when shooting my new cats -- areas of virtually no detail -- even though the reds were not blown. Turns out I was blowing out the blue channel, so I have to change my screen whenever I shoot the cats to warn me.

Comment

Thanks potterm, that I knew. I thought I've seen where you can actually see the image and it will show clipped areas. I'm going to see if I can find where I read/saw that.

Ah, I understand what you mean. In Photoshop CS I do this using the Select-->Color Range dialog. I have two preset color ranges saved which look for black pixels and white pixels in the image respectively, allowing me to visualise lost shadow and highlight detail. You have to use the "Sampled Colors" option in the pull-down, and then select black (or white) depending on whether you want blown highlights or lost shadow detail to be shown. I expect later versions of PS give you an easier way of doing this...

Martin.
          Nikon D300, D80, Nikkor 18-200VR, Nikkor 50 1.8D, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, SB-600.

Comment

Thanks ttosifa, I've added those to my amazon shopping list.

Martin, I'm going to try that method.
            Lori Putman flickr
            ~No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys
            ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
            7D | 300L f/4 IS | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II | 135L | 35L | 100/2.0 | 50/1.4
            430 EX, 580 EX II Speedlites

Comment

Working...
            X