This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is a well timed thread!

my niece's friend asked me to shoot her wedding this coming May. mostly, they wanted to save some money. i said i would as an unpaid backup to the hired photographer. i explained i just started photographing and couldn't promise 1 good shot.

they agreed, thankfully.
    Loving my Canon T3i and kit lens

it's fine for moderators to edit my work for teaching purposes. thanks.

Comment

These are great tips, i have been asked by a friend to be her wedding photographer. The event is going to be later this year, this gives me ample time to prepare and all this tips are helpful. I've been saving up for a 50mm 1.4 lens to get good portraits. this would be my 1st time, but I am also trying to convince her to get a professional photographer and I'd be the backup.
      Digital SLR

Comment

Originally posted by Saralonde View Post
        Battery: Sterlingtek I use this for my 400D. Works great, as good as Canon.

Flash: Sigma EF-500 DG Super bought this for my son's XT.
        Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
        Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash I own this one and I'm very happy with it.

thank you so much for the tips, it is very useful for me
        coz next month i will be a photographer on my friend wedding

Comment

I can across a link to this free e-book (Wedding Photography) on DIYPhotography.net today
          Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
          Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
          My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for collecting all those data.. It is very nice to have a lot of hardworking moderators!
            I Wanna Be a Paparazzi! LOL

Other Guys Put the Cameras they own so I will kinda do the same

Kodak CX6200, Olympus mju 790

Comment

I don't remember if anyone already posted this link but you can download tons of eBooks from wowio.com. The are free and have many titles about photography (digital, wedding, portrait, etc.).
              NIKON D7100 gripped | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VRII | Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DU VR ll | Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR | Speedlight SB-900 | WU-1a | Home made lightbox

flickr | Homepage

Comment

thanx for tis post.the links are very useful Thanx again.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has posted a link or some other helpful advice.

I have four weddings to attend this year, the first being my brither's in June. The photographer he has booked has spent the last six years or so as an assistant so this will be her first job as official photographer. My brother has asked me if I would mind taking my camera along as well, not that I'm any good and he rates my pics, but just in case the ones the woman he's hired don't work out very well. Even if I capture only a few good moments throughout the day at least that's a few more shots he has.
                  My BIGpicture Library

Comment

So months after posting to this thread I've finally shot my first wedding. It was my best friend's wedding, but it wasn't one of those "friend's wedding" nightmare stories. I was paid nicely, so it was good...

Here is what I have learned from my experience this past weekend and also a bit about how I went about it all. So here are my scattered thoughts as they come to me.

I went into this as a second photographer. A great relief for my first wedding. I shot the details and candid shots, while the primary photographer shot the formal photos. My gear was my Canon XTi, Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, Canon 50mm f/1.8, two 4GB compact flash cards, three batteries, and a tripod. I scouted out the location the day before (during the rehearsal) and planned my shots. I took around 700 shots and deleted about 100 of them right after uploading to my computer. This almost filled up both of my memory cards, so more memory is on the list to buy. I didn't even use up one battery, but I hardly used my flash. I found that I used the 50mm a lot because it is so much faster and the light was so scarce in the church. Also, I realize I need a wide angle lens. With the 1.6x crop factor of my camera the 28mm just wasn't cutting it in some of those tight rooms. I used my on camera flash for a handful of shots and they gave me harsh shadows even when I turned down my flash exposure compensation. Some type of addon to bounce of diffuse the flash is needed if you are using on camera. A monopod would have been ery useful. I wish I would have taken more initiative in gather people to get shots. I would have taken more close ups, and more detailed shots. I wish I would have been able to take more creative shots too, but I was concerned with getting what I needed.

So to sum it up...
                    -I needed more memory.
                    -I needed a monopod.
                    -I needed a wide angle lens.
                    -I needed a flash diffuser, bounce flash, or hot-shoe mounted flash.
                    -I should have put more thought into some shots to gain creativeity.
                    -I should have taken charge and asked people to pose for photos.
                    -Andrew

Canon 400D/XTi
                    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8
                    Andrew's Flickr

Comment

wedding photos

it's so ironic..
                      i was ask by somebody here in angola to shoot their wedding in a month.
                      and was just surfing the internet for some tips. waht a great site this is.
                      its nervous to know that you have to shoot somebodies most important day and it may all come out blanks. but this is what i want to go into here. and i have to do it a first time. if i don't try i will never start having experience.
                      so i just have to prepare and drink that morning and confedance pill!!

Comment

Here are two tips i got for being a 'second photographer' (as well as others already noted in thread)
                        - wear quiet shoes and muted coloured clothing that is flexible as you will be bending down etc
                        - Remember hired photographer is the main person so be nice and try not to get in the way. If possible contact them BEFORE wedding to let them know you will be helping and also helps make 'good relations'
                        Canon 40D + 400D, lens kit, f/1.8 50mm plus lots of other 'bits'

Comment

My take on Wedding Photography Part 1

My take on Wedding Photography - Kenneth William Caleno

Essential Equipment

Two camera bodies that share the lenses
                          Two flashes (strobes) plus cables, etc.,
                          18mm-55mm zoom
                          50mm standard lens F1.8 or even better F1.4-for low-light situations
                          Not essential, but handy for candids and from back of church images- 70mm-300mm zoom lens
                          large capacity digital storage cards
                          At least triple batteries as you think you will need
                          Two white reflectors
                          Diffusion (soft-focus) filter
                          85c warming filter for grey days
                          Tripod for formal photos
                          Lens hoods to control flare

Planning the wedding shoot

You must have a timetable to work from, or you will fail miserably.

You must always remember:

The Bride is never on time
                          Cars are sometimes late arriving
                          Ministers will often talk for longer than expected
                          Traffic may be chaotic
                          Something may have been forgotten somewhere

Murphy, being the Patron Saint of Wedding Photographers, will no doubt ensure that if anything can go wrong-it will, and usually at the most inopportune moment. Allow for plenty of time for each section of the shooting script.

Planning Session

Planning is crucial, so make sure that time has been allowed for photography, and travelling to each location.

A: Who is Paying?

Find out who is paying for the photography, because the person footing the bill is the client, and needs to be consulted-If the bride’s parents are paying, and want nice, classic portrait shots of Bride & Groom, and the Bride wants cross-processed, arty, or black & white images-you had better get nice safe photos for Mum and Dad as well!

It is very important to find out and determine EXACTLY what the client wants, and is expecting to get. Quite often people do not know what they want-until you have shot it.
                          What you don’t want to hear is: “ We didn’t want half of this stuff, we want a refund!!!”

Whoever is paying, make sure you get paid up front. I usually ask for my daily rate photography fee on signing the contract, and the balance seven days before the wedding date. (This saves you wondering if and when you are going to be paid, and saves you chasing clients for payment.) I also only charge for the day’s photography up front-prints are priced separately - I take around 2000 shots per wedding, and shave these down to around 500 and put as proofs on CD’s made to show to my clients-then they can choose what they want for their albums.

B. Working with schedules and timetables

Once you have found out what is wanted and who is paying, start working out your shooting schedule. I usually type these out and give to attendants in the bridal party, to organise everybody for their photo to save time.

I also type my schedule on small cards for my pocket while I am shooting, so I know when the next sequence is due.

Let your clients know that formal photos of the bridal party should take between one to one-and-a-half hours.-Any longer will drag the proceedings, and any less time will limit the number of set-ups wanted.

Subtly point out that the guests should be advised of what is going on.

It is important to let the client know that if they cut your time, you will need to cut the amount of photography to shoot.

Protocol and family Politics

You need to tread very carefully where family politics are concerned, as you set up groups- ex-wives versus new wives, step-children, recently divorced couples. Better to let people sort themselves where they want to be, then just arrange set-ups accordingly.

If everyone, guests included, know exactly what happens, and when, and with whom, it will alleviate, the Bride’s and groom’s stress, your stress, and you will get results that please your clients.

Once PLAN “A” ( Beautiful sunny day, no wind,) is in place, work out alternatives- “B”; “C”; “D”; etc., You need somewhere to photograph if it’s raining, snowing, gale-force winds etc., And a choice of idyllic locations.

A Typical Schedule Plan

a). Groom’s House

Photos at the Groom’s house happen rarely, but if they are wanted, then you must make sure things run on time, in order to get to the Bride’s house on time

b). Bride’s House

Get to the house early, showing you are organised and professional. The Bride may be very nearly ready, and being the early bird may give you a chance to get things in order without rushing. Confidence is the keyword, so compliment the Bride, say she looks nice, and has nothing to worry about (Do not, under any circumstances tell her she is beautiful, because, if she isn’t, she will know, and this could turn her against you.)

If you can help the bride and her family to be calm at the house, the tone of the whole wedding will reflect on this.
                          Let the family know what you are going to photograph outside the church, or wedding venue.

c). Church or Wedding Venue

Get to church, or wedding venue as soon as you can to get set up for what follows.
                          Talk to, and photograph the Groom.
                          Talk to minister/celebrant, checking all is ok, use/non-use of flash, etc.,
                          Wait outside for cars to arrive
                          While the ceremony is taking place, look around for photo opportunities-is the Bride’s Mother crying? her Father, crying or smiling?
                          Once the vows have been made, register signed, etc., Bride and Groom will walk down the aisle, or things will just finish. This can be an awkward moment-one of two things usually happen:

a) The Bride & Groom will be surrounded by guests, and if there are lots of guests the crowd may take a time to clear.

b) (Usually at churches) when Bride & Groom come out there is no-one at first, then all guests file out slowly and stand around the couple looking at them.

Some guests will want to take photographs at this point, so set up the shot and let them fire away, after you. Work with these people throughout the day, and some of these people could be your next client.

Start the family photos, beginning with the Bride’s side, then the Groom’s, then all the friends and hanger’s-on.

d). The Formal Photos

After all the ceremony kerfuffle, the bridal party will want to relax a bit, maybe have a drink and a smoke for 10 minutes or so, while you are getting ready. But when you are ready, you need to get them back on track to get all required images done on time Bride and Groom, at this point, aren’t usually the problem, it’s generally the best man wants another beer, or the maid of honour who wants another smoke, or someone gets loud. You need to gain control of this.

If there are children in the party, use them first, as they have a very short attention span.
                          No matter what happens here,-stay calm, even when things go wrong, keep calm you won’t get good photos if you are stressed.
                          When you think you have finished, better check with Bride and Groom that you have all they wanted, or if you were pressed for time, that you have the set-ups they wanted the most.

Now you have to get back to the reception before the wedding party do.

e). Mock Cake Cutting

This is done when budgets are tight, and you aren’t required to attend the reception, due to funds being tight.

f ). The Reception

Before the bride and Groom arrive at the reception venue, Be ready to catch them arriving.
                          Things that usually happen at reception are: (in any order): speeches, toasts, food, then the first dance. While there is potential photography, don’t eat, or drink, just in case you miss something worthwhile.
                          Before leaving be sure that the Bride, Groom and whoever is paying for the photography, have all the shots they need with nothing missed.

g ). After it all

Get the finished prints to the Bride & Groom as soon as possible, that’s good business, You will want them to see the prints while the day will still be fresh in their memory. Do not get caught in the middle of any disputes-The prints are always to be delivered to the Married couple, and not to anyone else. (unless arranged otherwise). If someone other than the Bride & Groom is paying for the photography, it should be explained to them beforehand that the Bride & Groom get the prints.
                          When sorting out the finished prints, take out the blinks, and the ones that aren’t up to par.

Comment

My take on Wedding Photography part 2

The Photography

A blow by blow account of a typical wedding - Ceremony at 4pm

You have your little schedule cards on a loop of string

You have your flash/strobe set to ¼ Iso (for fill-in, or all outdoor photos if you want to play safe, use at full Iso for indoor shots)
                            You 18-55 zoom lens on camera

1. At Groom’s house 10:00 am - 11:30am ( All times can only be approximated)

Groom, getting ready,
                            Groomsmen, playing around
                            Groom, in mirror
                            Groom dressed, GQ pose, jacket over shoulder
                            Groom Full length
                            Groom with mother Close-up
                            Groom with Father Close-up
                            Groom with both parents full length
                            Groom with both parents close-up
                            Groom with Grandparents Full length
                            Groom with Grandparents close-up
                            With sisters
                            With brothers
                            With immediate family
                            Groom and Best man full length
                            Groom and Best man Close-up
                            Groom and best man shaking hands
                            Groom and all groomsmen 1

2.At Bride’s house 12:30am - 3:00pm

Bride dressing
                            Mother helping with veil
                            Mother/maid of honour adjusting veil
                            Bride looking in mirror

Bride with mother looking in mirror
                            Bride putting on garter
                            Bride putting on garter with bridesmaids looking on
                            Bride full length
                            Bride half length
                            Bride close-up
                            Bride with Mother close-up
                            Bride with Mother full length
                            Corsage being pinned on Mother
                            Bride with Father full length
                            Bride with Father close-up
                            Bride pinning-on Father’s button-hole
                            Bride with both parents, full length
                            Bride with both parents, close-up
                            With Grandparents close-up
                            With Grandparents full length
                            With sisters
                            With brothers with immediate family
                            Bride and maid of honour full length
                            Bride and maid of honour. Close-up 2
                            Bride with attendants
                            Bride with flower girl/ring bearer
                            Bride leaving house with parents and Bridesmaids
                            Father helping Bride into limo

3. At the Ceremony 3:30pm - 4:45

Groups of guests and everybody [ 28mm or 28-70mm zoom]
                            Flower girl walking down aisle
                            Ring-bearer walking down aisle
                            Maid of honour walking down aisle
                            Bridesmaids walking down aisle
                            Father walking down aisle with Bride
                            Father “Giving Bride away” [You may choose to change to 75-300mm zoom
                            Bride & groom exchanging vows for these shots]
                            Bride and Groom exchanging rings
                            The Kiss
                            Bride signing register
                            Groom signing register
                            Bride and Groom walking back down aisle
                            Bride and groom outside church

Bride and Groom getting into limo 3

4. Formal Photos 5:00 - 6:30

Bride alone Full length

Bride alone ¾
                            Bride alone close-up
                            Bride alone head shot
                            Bride alone peeping over flowers

Bride & groom Kissing
                            Bride & Groom full length
                            Bride & Groom close-up 3
                            Groom full length
                            Groom ¾
                            Groom close-up
                            Close-up of rings
                            Group shot of bride & bridesmaids [18-55mm zoom]

5. At reception

Wedding party announced
                            Bride and Groom announced
                            Bride & groom’s first dance

Wedding party dancing
                            Bride’s dance with Father
                            Groom’s dance with Mother
                            Best man toasting Bride & Groom
                            Bride & groom toasting each other
                            The cake

Bride& Groom posed at cake
                            Cutting cake
                            Bride & Groom feeding each other cake
                            Throwing bouquet
                            Bouquet catch
                            Groom taking off garter
                            Groom throwing garter
                            Garter catch
                            Bride & Groom with catchers
                            Guests leaving 4
                            Posed departure of bride & Groom ( Kissing, waving etc.,)
                            Bride & Groom leaving reception venue
                            Bride and Groom leaving in limo
                            Close up of invitation
                            Picture of band or DJ

Ken Caleno

Creative People Photography Phone/Fax :

Standard Wedding Photography Contract

Wedding date_____________
                            Bride’s name____________________________ Phone:______________
                            Address___________________________________________ ________
                            Groom’s name___________________________ Phone:_____________
                            Address After Wedding________________________________________
                            1. This constitutes an order for wedding photography. It is understood that any and all negatives remain the property of the client, but neither party may sell the photographs without written consent of the other.
                            The client agrees that editorial use of photos and/or advertising use by Ken Caleno is acceptable unless otherwise noted. Ken Caleno may make use of these wedding photos for samples to show future customers.

2. Although all care will be taken with the negatives and photographs taken at the wedding, Ken Caleno limits any loss, damage or failure to deliver pictures for any reason, to return monies paid ( Except for Scheduling fee )

3. Upon signature, Ken Caleno reserves the time and date agreed upon, and will make no other reservations for that time and date. for this reason, Scheduling fee is non-refundable, even if date is changed or wedding cancelled for any reason.

4. A scheduling Fee is due on signing this contract; the remaining balance to be paid 7 days prior to wedding date.
                            All terms of this agreement are understood and agreed upon.

Agreed price for photography $_________________________

Signature of photographer:_________________________________
                            Signature of signing party__________________________________
                            Address___________________________________________ ____
                            Date________________

© Kenneth William Caleno (Dip Phot) 2008

Comment

Holy cow! I will definitely be bookmarking this thread. Do you have another contract for an entire wedding package (any combination of engagements, bridals, bridal party, bachelorette/bachelor parties, etc.) or do you do separate contracts for each session or event?
                              Nikon D80
                              18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm 1.4 (my new baby!)

www.morganwernerphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by kencaleno View Post
                                The Photography

A blow by blow account of a typical wedding - Ceremony at 4pm

You have your little schedule cards on a loop of string

You have your flash/strobe set to ¼ Iso (for fill-in, or all outdoor photos if you want to play safe, use at full Iso for indoor shots)
                                You 18-55 zoom lens on camera

1. At Groom’s house 10:00 am - 11:30am ( All times can only be approximated)

Groom, getting ready,
                                Groomsmen, playing around
                                Groom, in mirror
                                Groom dressed, GQ pose, jacket over shoulder
                                Groom Full length
                                Groom with mother Close-up
                                Groom with Father Close-up
                                Groom with both parents full length
                                Groom with both parents close-up
                                Groom with Grandparents Full length
                                Groom with Grandparents close-up
                                With sisters
                                With brothers
                                With immediate family
                                Groom and Best man full length
                                Groom and Best man Close-up
                                Groom and best man shaking hands
                                Groom and all groomsmen 1

2.At Bride’s house 12:30am - 3:00pm

Bride dressing
                                Mother helping with veil
                                Mother/maid of honour adjusting veil
                                Bride looking in mirror

Bride with mother looking in mirror
                                Bride putting on garter
                                Bride putting on garter with bridesmaids looking on
                                Bride full length
                                Bride half length
                                Bride close-up
                                Bride with Mother close-up
                                Bride with Mother full length
                                Corsage being pinned on Mother
                                Bride with Father full length
                                Bride with Father close-up
                                Bride pinning-on Father’s button-hole
                                Bride with both parents, full length
                                Bride with both parents, close-up
                                With Grandparents close-up
                                With Grandparents full length
                                With sisters
                                With brothers with immediate family
                                Bride and maid of honour full length
                                Bride and maid of honour. Close-up 2
                                Bride with attendants
                                Bride with flower girl/ring bearer
                                Bride leaving house with parents and Bridesmaids
                                Father helping Bride into limo

3. At the Ceremony 3:30pm - 4:45

Groups of guests and everybody [ 28mm or 28-70mm zoom]
                                Flower girl walking down aisle
                                Ring-bearer walking down aisle
                                Maid of honour walking down aisle
                                Bridesmaids walking down aisle
                                Father walking down aisle with Bride
                                Father “Giving Bride away” [You may choose to change to 75-300mm zoom
                                Bride & groom exchanging vows for these shots]
                                Bride and Groom exchanging rings
                                The Kiss
                                Bride signing register
                                Groom signing register
                                Bride and Groom walking back down aisle
                                Bride and groom outside church

Bride and Groom getting into limo 3

4. Formal Photos 5:00 - 6:30

Bride alone Full length

Bride alone ¾
                                Bride alone close-up
                                Bride alone head shot
                                Bride alone peeping over flowers

Bride & groom Kissing
                                Bride & Groom full length
                                Bride & Groom close-up 3
                                Groom full length
                                Groom ¾
                                Groom close-up
                                Close-up of rings
                                Group shot of bride & bridesmaids [18-55mm zoom]

5. At reception

Wedding party announced
                                Bride and Groom announced
                                Bride & groom’s first dance

Wedding party dancing
                                Bride’s dance with Father
                                Groom’s dance with Mother
                                Best man toasting Bride & Groom
                                Bride & groom toasting each other
                                The cake

Bride& Groom posed at cake
                                Cutting cake
                                Bride & Groom feeding each other cake
                                Throwing bouquet
                                Bouquet catch
                                Groom taking off garter
                                Groom throwing garter
                                Garter catch
                                Bride & Groom with catchers
                                Guests leaving 4
                                Posed departure of bride & Groom ( Kissing, waving etc.,)
                                Bride & Groom leaving reception venue
                                Bride and Groom leaving in limo
                                Close up of invitation
                                Picture of band or DJ

Ken Caleno

Creative People Photography Phone/Fax :

Standard Wedding Photography Contract

Wedding date_____________
                                Bride’s name____________________________ Phone:______________
                                Groom’s name___________________________ Phone:_____________
                                Address After Wedding________________________________________
                                1. This constitutes an order for wedding photography. It is understood that any and all negatives remain the property of the client, but neither party may sell the photographs without written consent of the other.
                                The client agrees that editorial use of photos and/or advertising use by Ken Caleno is acceptable unless otherwise noted. Ken Caleno may make use of these wedding photos for samples to show future customers.

2. Although all care will be taken with the negatives and photographs taken at the wedding, Ken Caleno limits any loss, damage or failure to deliver pictures for any reason, to return monies paid ( Except for Scheduling fee )

3. Upon signature, Ken Caleno reserves the time and date agreed upon, and will make no other reservations for that time and date. for this reason, Scheduling fee is non-refundable, even if date is changed or wedding cancelled for any reason.

4. A scheduling Fee is due on signing this contract; the remaining balance to be paid 7 days prior to wedding date.
                                All terms of this agreement are understood and agreed upon.

Agreed price for photography $_________________________

Signature of photographer:_________________________________
                                Signature of signing party__________________________________
                                Address___________________________________________ ____
                                Date________________

© Kenneth William Caleno (Dip Phot) 2008

WOW! I wish I knew all of this before Aug 8! LOL my first photoshoot was a wedding, I was upfront with them and told them that theirs was my first wedding shoot, they didn't care and said this will be my break =).
                                Last edited by EnticingArt; 10-03-2008, 06:33 PM. Reason: some members of party didn't want personl issues exp
                                New owner of a DSLR Canon XSI. I need to get to know my new baby or the ins and outs of photography for that matter

Comment

Working...
                                X