Shooting The Moon ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting The Moon ;)

Is it possible to uncork a DECENT moonshot with a Canon EF 75-300mm zoom lens? It is 1:4-5.6 USM III I'm skeptical that there would be any great detail in the shot at 300mm. Most great moonshots I've seen have been shot with an 800mm with 1.4TCs on them...since I'm decidedly NOT in that league of lenses yet is it worth my while with a 300mm??? I saw a shot someone said they took with a 300mm in manual mode...it looked pretty darned good...but he must have enlarged the image. Should I do this manually on a tripod or just Av Auto ISO it considering how quick its moving in the sky? Thank you! I will be using my Canon T4i
    Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenscapade/
    Canon T4i, Rebel G, Rebel 2000

read this older post!!! good luck and nothing is impossible!!!

http://digital-photography-school.co...on-hi-def.html
    www.fototaker.net

EOS 7D - 40D

Comment

Sure is!! Here are mine taken with that lens.
      The "Super moon" from a few months back

Then another of a 1/2 moon

I used a tripod on manual mode. let me find the exif for you.

Comment

1st shot
        300 mm
        ss1/250
        f/13
        ISO 100
        2nd shot
        Focal length 300mm
        SS 1/200
        f5.6
        ISO 100

Oh and yes these have been cropped.
        Last edited by Heidijens1; 10-22-2012, 12:17 AM. Reason: crop info

Comment

Originally posted by Heidijens1 View Post
          1st shot
          300 mm
          ss1/250
          f/13
          ISO 100
          2nd shot
          Focal length 300mm
          SS 1/200
          f5.6
          ISO 100
          Thank you SO much!!!! Great shots!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fototaker View Post
            read this older post!!! good luck and nothing is impossible!!!

http://digital-photography-school.co...on-hi-def.html
            Thanks Foto !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lenscapade View Post
              Thank you SO much!!!! Great shots!!!!
              Your welcome. and one more thing. Use the timer on your camera so there is not movement from you pressing the shutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidijens1 View Post
                Your welcome. and one more thing. Use the timer on your camera so there is not movement from you pressing the shutter.
                Will do!!!! I'm going to shoot it in "live view"...I'll 10x the screen to help with focus

Comment

Also remember a fast shutter speed. The moon has no shortage of light. And while it may not look like it when you're staring at it with just your eye, you can visibly see it move through the viewfinder at those focal lengths. So be prepared for a lot of recomposing lol.
                  David
                  Equipment
                  Camera: Canon 6D | Lens: Canon 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8, Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Flashes : 430EX II, YN-560 II x 3 | Tripod: Manfrotto 055XProB / 498RC2 Ballhead
                  Portfolio, Flickr

Comment

at 300mm on a canon crop sensor you are getting the equivalent of 480mm. I regularly use my 350mm zoom on the moon, and then crop afterwards.
                    A tripod is the best way but I sometimes shoot handheld if I am in a rush for instance this is the exif for a half-moon daytime shot handheld.

Camera Canon EOS 40D
                    Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
                    Aperture f/8.0
                    Focal Length 350 mm
                    ISO Speed 200
                    Exposure Bias -1/3 EV

Whereas this was a nighttime half moon on a tripod

Camera Canon EOS 40D
                    Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
                    Aperture f/8.0
                    Focal Length 350 mm
                    ISO Speed 200
                    Exposure Bias 0 EV

A full moon would look something like this

Camera Canon EOS 40D
                    Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
                    Aperture f/8.0
                    Focal Length 350 mm
                    ISO Speed 100
                    Exposure Bias 0 EV

Some key things to remember is that the sweet spot for the lens should be between f8 to f11, keep your ISO low between 100 and 200 and your shutter speed higher the better.
                    Shooting in RAW and under exposing the shot can help to, in PP you can then adjust for exposure and contrast.

The best set up I find is full manual with a tripod and shutter release using live-view and zooming in at 10x. I will then take a series of shots with minor adjustments to the focus.

Also try to keep the moon away from the edges of the frame and don't worry if it doesn't look properly exposed on the camera preview screen.

Jd
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm Macro f2.8 USM L, Canon EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 USM L Tokina AT-X PRO 20-35mm f2.8
                    Bronica S2 Medium Format, Nikkor-P 50mm f2.8

My flickr photostream

Comment

Thank you ALL so far for the help...I have a journal I'm starting to keep..noting all this great advice!!!

Comment

I suggest you shoot while the moon isn't quite full.. The shadow at the edge allows you to see the craters, compare Heidijens1's two photos.. The full moon has far less interest than the half moon.

The 300mm lens is about the minimum you want to shoot with. You end up with a small orb taking up less than 10% of your image, however with a 2x TC you could double that, you'll just have to increase the ISO to compensate, and you'll end up using manual focus.

One thing.. When you have your camera on a tripod, switch OFF VR/OS or whatever it's called on your camera. It's very good at removing large vibrations, but when you're fairly well fixed, it will decrease the IQ slightly, especially noticable at tight crops that you will do.

One last thing.. The moon looks almost the same to me in Switzerland as it does to you wherever you are, and the guys in Aus and those in Canada and the US, and it looks the almost same as it did 10 years ago, or 100 years ago, or even 1000 years ago.. Because of that, it's been shot an unbelieveable number of times, and if you ONLY shoot the moon and don't include anything else of interest, and it's not something like a red moon, you're going to get an unbelievable common picture, and I will absolutely guarantee that there are better, clearer shots out there (If I go up the mountains for example, the IQ would be significantly increased because I don't get heat haze and dust particals. Because of this, I would suggest that you capture the moon low on the horizon as it's passing something, so it gets sillouetted. A tree or a building in your neighbourhood that's about 2 miles away.. Make sure you use the hyperfocal distance so the foreground is in focus. One other thing about shooting the moon on the horizon is that there's a magnification effect due to the atmosphere.
                        Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
                        A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
                        Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X