No announcement yet.

How To: Light Tent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's amazing! I always wondered how these sorts of pictures were accomplished. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Gear: Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S f/3.5-4.5, soon to get a Nikkor 50mm AF f/1.8D
    Hoping to buy eventually: A long long long time from now, maybe I'll get the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S f/4.5-5.6G VR or a Nikkor 18-200 AF-S f/3.5-5.6G VR.
    flickr

Comment

It's funny how my flicker photo page went from 100 view to almost 700 in a couple of days. If it gets past 1000 In the next couple of days, I will buy a subscription.

Once again, Thanks! I know I am not the only one who did this but I hope you can come up with your own variation and share it with us on DPS.
      Canon 20D W/ 430EX Flash, 50mm F1.8 and 17-40mm F4L Lens

Bail on Flickr, Deviant Art (Friend me!)

Comment

Bail - Great tutorial! Thanks also for finding those alternate plans. You inspired me to come up with my own setup.

I found a plastic file box with translucent sides that I figured would work well. I used the same type of light bulb you used with a utility lamp. I also purchased some cheap white crepe fabric for a total of $2, which I wound up not using. Basically, I lined the interior with some curved poster board, put the light on top, and shot away.

The setup is shown below, with a couple of examples...

I'm going to have to tweak the lighting a bit, but overall I think it works well.
        My Flickr Photos
        RandomConnections
        Nikon D50,various lenses, Nikon S50 point-n-shoot

Comment

Dont forget the strobist version:
          http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07...to-studio.html
          ----------Signature------------
          EntityDesigns.com Web Design
          Entity Designs Photog Blog

Comment

Those guys on Digg need to stop being so anal about stupid wee things - Call it a "UFO flux capacitor" for all I care - it's still a great tip!
            Will be making one in the near future.
            --------------------------------
            Nikon D200 body, Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8, Nikon 17-35 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Sigma Macro 50mm f2.8
            View my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/henryscat
            My Blog is over at http://pkperspective.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial - I've been after one of these for a while and since I'm so lazy it prompted me to go and buy one! (I got one of ebay for less than £20 including delivery and three extra background colours!).
              My Photoblog | My Blog | me on Flickr
              Sony Alpha a100 DSLR - lots to learn yet!

Comment

Built one last night and I'm already loving it. It was a bit of an adventure driving to various craft/fabric stores trying to find white muslin and trying to explain what I was using it for.

One question about light bulbs: How many watts/lumens are necessary for good lighting? My box is 22x22x28, and I just bought a 40W Daylight CFL rated at around 630 lumens at 6500K. Will that be enough, or should I get something brighter?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurius

One question about light bulbs: How many watts/lumens are necessary for good lighting? My box is 22x22x28, and I just bought a 40W Daylight CFL rated at around 630 lumens at 6500K. Will that be enough, or should I get something brighter?
                  This is what I got

As long as they are "Day Light" Bulbs you should be okay. I got mine at a home depot.

Will they do? Find out! Take some test shots. If the box is too big for one light all you have to do is light the other sides. My box was 15X14X15"

FYI, the fabric does not have to be exactly muslin. Just has to be white and allow light to pass through. Some fabrics spread (Diffuse) light better than others. I am going back to the fabric store friday to see if they have any White nylon. I want to see the difference.
                  Canon 20D W/ 430EX Flash, 50mm F1.8 and 17-40mm F4L Lens

Bail on Flickr, Deviant Art (Friend me!)

Comment

This is brilliant and you have taken the time and effort
                    to explain it so well.
                    Thankyou
                    Regards Bugdog

Canon eos 20d
                    Various Lenses
                    My Gallery

Comment

Great job Bail! I, too, have made my own homemade light box. Don't use it very often though.

I used one of those miniature collapsible mesh hampers you can find at WalMart - they often show kids toys inside them. I cut all the fabric off (it was brightly colored) and sewed my own coverings with white fabric. I realize most people don't sew much so your solution is really great for those who wouldn't normally sew.

I light mine from above and on both sides usually. I need to play with it more. Maybe I'll post some pics of it sometime.
                      Come Visit me on Flickr!!

Comment

DIY Light Tent

Bail, after seeing your post on the diy light tent I went right to work. It took me a little longer as I have a severly broken leg with a cast from to to hip and movement is slow at best. But, finished it and the results can be seen at the following http://www.flickr.com/photos/manager_2000/. Thanks and now to search the house for more items that will fit inside the tent/box.

Ron
                        Pentax K20D | Pentax K10D | Pentax K100D | Pentax 100 Macro F2.8 |Pentax 50mm F1.4 | Sigma 70-300 F5.6 APO DG | Sigma 10-20 DC EX |Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG Macro | Sigma 50-500 APO DG | Sigma 24-135 F2.8

My flickr

Comment

made something similar a few weeks back. need to play with it more and i just got a new flash to use as a second source of light.

first test

-Matt
                          Canon 30D, 17-40 f4L, 50 f1.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG Macro, 30 f1.4, battery grip, 430EX speedlight, Nikon SB-25, wireless transmitters/remotes, various filters, etc, etc.

msm fotki OR msm flickr

Comment

A selection from my first light tent shoot.
                            Brown Egg
                            my flickr | my myspace | my photo.net

Comment

Well, I built a box following your directions. It's not too pretty, that's why I'm not posting a pic of it here. But here are some of my first shots using it.
                              Needed to adjust the lighting because of the shadow on this one:
                              Softbox daisy
                              With my 50mm 1.4:
                              Softbox daisy close-up
                              With my 100mm macro:
                              Water droplet daisy

Having fun using this while our weather is cold, rainy and gray outside.
                              Linda
                              My Gear
                              OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
                              flickr

Comment

wow, this is simply amazing. and exactly what i needed!!
                                thx for that!

since I love crafting it's a piece of cake!! and fun to make

--edit--
                                couldn't help myself not showing you how my "light tent" is going. hehe
                                box

sorry for the crappy quality. i just took that photo in a hurry to upload it.
                                i can't wait to finish it and start using it properly!
                                morgy's digital haven

Comment

Working...
                                X