Flash diffuser for low- light event photography indoor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash diffuser for low- light event photography indoor

What flash diffuser you are using for low- light event photography indoor?
    I am taking a lot of pictures at the events with very low-light for the magazine. It is Black Tie Gala and 500 people events.

I am using Nikon SB900, and Nikon D300s. Nikon SB900 with EV-1, is doing great job, and it is reading light very good. I still need diffuser to use. What about 45 degree angle bounce diffuser usage will help? Share with us your tips and results, your pictures with flash diffuser.

First choice for me will always be use of the Neil van Niekerk black foamie thing off a wall or wall/ceiling combination. If the wall colors are a pukey color, I will then use the diffuser cup at 45 degrees. I find straight off the ceiling without a diffuser to be the least flattering light.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Comment

+1 with what Vince has said.... flagged flash bounced is the best option.

If I can not bounce for whatever reason, I go to a bounce card like this one for $5

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

I used it in this room with the pukey green walls and ceiling.... bounce was not an option:

This is a flagged & bounced flash on camera:
      Last edited by scootermcq; 03-18-2012, 02:45 PM.
      Scott
      Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Thank you for the comments. It is good tips for wedding photography.

I have to take 200 pictures in 2 hours and photographed 300-500 people at Black Tie gala.The event only two hours,and I have to capture every moment, and every face. I am taking pictures one after another without stop, and every second. The flash has to be recharge very quick this is why I use direct flash and I don't wait long that flash will recharge. Each picture has 3 or 6 people, 10 people. The ceiling is very high. It is no white wall around to bounce the light. I shoot direct flash and change BS900 with -03, -07 EV. It is not bad but I need more light on the background. I spent several days searching for answers online and I didn't find the one which could work for me. When I shoot group of people I use direct flash. I bounce flash in white card pint to the celling when I am taking room, interior pictures. I don't like bounce flash all the time on the ceiling. SB 900 is big, and tall. It is tower above your head to hold and get sharp pictures. It is not easy to do in light. I have to sale every picture I took, and every image should be sharp and perfect. When I am using direct flash taking group photos indoor low light I like contrast and sharpness or the images.

Please view my pictures for STL magazine
        Jazz St. Louis Gala, March 9 - St. Louis Magazine - March 2012 - St. Louis, Missouri

I bought Micro Apollo Softbox - 5 x 8" (13 x 20cm) from B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
        I should have it in a few days. I will tested and let you know.

Comment

I just found this video which I would like to share with you. I will get this product.
          Bounce Flash Photography - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by LyubovStrauss View Post
            I just found this video which I would like to share with you. I will get this product.
            Bounce Flash Photography - YouTube
            OK, I would make it (actually I did) for 5 bucks vs 30, but to each their own
            Scott
            Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Scott,
              I called BH photo to purchase LumiQuest MidiBouncer, and person on a phone told me that I shouldn't buy this product. He doesn't like it and he shoot 300 weddings,and he want me to buy Gary Fong LightSphere. I tested Gary Fong LightSphere Dome and I didn't like. It is huge piece to put on a top SB900. Any way, I did buy Vello VEFD200 Light Bouncer for Portable Flashes for $14.
              Vello Light Bouncer for Portable Flashes FD-200 B&H Photo Video

I spent money buying different product for the last few days. I have to find the answer because I have 3 assignments on my table and pictures should be perfect. I am doing photography from 1989, and my father was famous photographer, cameraman, movie producer and inventor. He made cameras and unique lenses. It is in my blood to take pictures the best as I could and I couldn't stop till I achieve good result.
              It is so much easy to use Nikon Creative Lighting system for commercial shot that use flash on top of the camera and get beautiful indoor pictures with low light.

Comment

I love the Gary Fong! I have yet to find anything that keeps my lettuce fresher or crisper
                Scott

Comment

LumiQuest says ...

Of course it's disappointing to have a dealer actually reacting negatively to a request for one of our products and recommending a compeditors product.

It IS a bit ironic that the customer tried and didn't like the recommended product and decided on an obvious knock-off of the LumiQuest item. From the looks of it, I'm guessing no effort goes into making a quality, color balanced, fully guaranteed product ... which is what you get with LumiQuest.

Our 25 yr. history and reputation was recently chronicled in this article Happy 25th Anniversary, LumiQuest! from Adorama Learning Center .

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I wouldn't want to trust my photography work to it!

Quest

Comment

Darren,
                    I will be using Lumiquest Soft Box LumiQuest SoftBox - LumiQuest with direct flash tomorrow at the event.
                    I got great results in 2009 and I bought velcro strap and using soft box with my SB900, direct flash. I was looking for removable band around the flash because I don't want have permenent velcro tape on my SB900. I love SB900, and it is great flash. The event is tomorrow, and I will post my comments after event.
                    I realize that I couldn't use the bouncer, diffuser. Soft Box will work great.

I found one more link which I would like to share with you. Great Idea and great photography.
                    Watch video
                    How to mount Strobella flash diffuser.mov - YouTube
                    www.strobella.com
                    www.strobella.com
                    www.strobella.com

Comment

I have to take 200 pictures in 2 hours and photographed 300-500 people at Black Tie gala.The event only two hours,and I have to capture every moment, and every face. I am taking pictures one after another without stop, and every second..
                      I would be a little worried about a tiny shoot through umbrella for 3 reasons. My main one would be the flash having to work so hard with the 2 stops of light lost that it will overheat and shut down on you. The SB900 is very prone to that, and unless you have another flash to switch to, you might be done shooting for 10 minutes while it cools off.

Secondly, you will take much longer to recycle the capacitor, because with the 2 stops of light lost, you will not be shooting much closer to full power.

Thirdly, people might start putting your flash in their drinks with that cute cocktail umbrella on top of it.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scootermcq View Post
                        I would be a little worried about a tiny shoot through umbrella for 3 reasons. My main one would be the flash having to work so hard with the 2 stops of light lost that it will overheat and shut down on you. The SB900 is very prone to that, and unless you have another flash to switch to, you might be done shooting for 10 minutes while it cools off.

Secondly, you will take much longer to recycle the capacitor, because with the 2 stops of light lost, you will not be shooting much closer to full power.

Thirdly, people might start putting your flash in their drinks with that cute cocktail umbrella on top of it.
                        Get an external battery pack. I have stuck those warning high Voltage stickers to the battery packs and nobody messes with them.
                        http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                        http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                        (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

I post it few days ago that I will be using for my next assignment softtbox with direct flash andy I would like to share results with you. The assignment is completed. The result is great. I published my pictures CHIPS BENEFIT GALA "A Night at the Savoy" AND CHARITY AUCTION | Ladue News

I was using LumiQuest Soft Box with direct flash SB900, 1/60, F6.3, 800 ISO.
                          LumiQuest SoftBox - LumiQuest

I spent some time in Photoshop because I was 11/2 stop off. It was Blacktie Gala, and man were wearing white shirt and classic black tuxedo. It is very high contrast attire. I forgot that white shot is white reflector, and you have to use flash SB 900 with EV -1.or -0.7 to reduce highlights on the face. it is the same when you taking bride pictures in white dress. White dress is white reflector.

I have my next assignment is a few days. I couldn't wait to use LumiQuest Soft Box again. I love this product. You could use LumiQuest Soft Box with lens focus 35 mm - 135 mm. I have lens nikon 18-135mm,and the best pictures at 35 mm lens.

I like to get spark and light in people eyes this is why I prefer to use direct flash instead of diffuser, bouncer. It is not easy,and we are making mistakes. The light in eyes makes person and pictures alive, and I could capture the character.
                          st. Louis full service advertising agency Lyubov Strauss Advertising

Comment

These photos from the event are lovely.

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but I was wondering which LumiQuest Soft Box you were using. Was it the LQ 124 (the regular size) or the LQ108 (the mini softbox.) The regular one is kind of big at 10 x 14 inches, but the mini is only about 3.4 x 5, so that is quite a difference.

Just curious, as I have an event next month, and I liked your results with the LumiQuest.

Thanks,
                            Pam

I post it few days ago that I will be using for my next assignment softtbox with direct flash andy I would like to share results with you. The assignment is completed. The result is great. I published my pictures CHIPS BENEFIT GALA "A Night at the Savoy" AND CHARITY AUCTION | Ladue News

I was using LumiQuest Soft Box with direct flash SB900, 1/60, F6.3, 800 ISO.
                            LumiQuest SoftBox - LumiQuest

I spent some time in Photoshop because I was 11/2 stop off. It was Blacktie Gala, and man were wearing white shirt and classic black tuxedo. It is very high contrast attire. I forgot that white shot is white reflector, and you have to use flash SB 900 with EV -1.or -0.7 to reduce highlights on the face. it is the same when you taking bride pictures in white dress. White dress is white reflector.

I have my next assignment is a few days. I couldn't wait to use LumiQuest Soft Box again. I love this product. You could use LumiQuest Soft Box with lens focus 35 mm - 135 mm. I have lens nikon 18-135mm,and the best pictures at 35 mm lens.

I like to get spark and light in people eyes this is why I prefer to use direct flash instead of diffuser, bouncer. It is not easy,and we are making mistakes. The light in eyes makes person and pictures alive, and I could capture the character.
                            st. Louis full service advertising agency Lyubov Strauss Advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Pamp81 View Post
                              These photos from the event are lovely.

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but I was wondering which LumiQuest Soft Box you were using. Was it the LQ 124 (the regular size) or the LQ108 (the mini softbox.) The regular one is kind of big at 10 x 14 inches, but the mini is only about 3.4 x 5, so that is quite a difference.

Just curious, as I have an event next month, and I liked your results with the LumiQuest.

Thanks,
                              Pam
                              Pam, which one did you buy at the end. I have an indoor event next week and planning to get something that will help me get better lighted pictures. Can you please help?
                              <3 Sri
                              Nikon D80, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm, 70-300mm, SB700, SB600, Sigma EF 530-DG Super
                              Do visit my new website: www.klickzbysri.com
                              KlickzBySri @ Flickr and Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook
                              You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

Comment

Working...
                              X