Strobist - Baby shoot #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobist - Baby shoot #2

Never sure whether to post these in critique or here, but it is opinions on the lighting that I am interested in.

Any hints, tips, tweaks or general comments?

Bathtime

Strobist info:
    1 flash shot through an umbrella at 1/2 power front right
    1 bounced off the ceiling at 1/2 power diagonal left

Exif data

Camera Canon EOS 450D
    Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture f/8.0
    Focal Length 50 mm
    ISO Speed 400
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Flash On, Fired

EDIT - I forgot to mention a reflector which was positioned underneath the light on the right.
    Last edited by Ginger Pixie; 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM.
    flickr

Adorable kid. Good focus, WB & I like the composition

From a lighting point of view, your fill in the umbrella seems a little high. There is shadowing from the towel to just under the eyes and no catch lights in the eyes. You almost pull it off here, because his eyes are so alive, you can almost survive without the catch lights, but I do think they would really add to this picture.

*edit... I just saw your strobist info, and your light was on the right, so more than likely it is hidden by the towel. I would try reversing the lights first, and then lower it if needed.
    Last edited by scootermcq; 01-26-2012, 06:35 PM.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Originally posted by scootermcq View Post
      Adorable kid. Good focus, WB & I like the composition

From a lighting point of view, your fill in the umbrella seems a little high. There is shadowing from the towel to just under the eyes and no catch lights in the eyes. You almost pull it off here, because his eyes are so alive, you can almost survive without the catch lights, but I do think they would really add to this picture.

*edit... I just saw your strobist info, and your light was on the right, so more than likely it is hidden by the towel. I would try reversing the lights first, and then lower it if needed.
      Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated!

This was the first shot I took while I was testing the lighting set up - you are bang on with the position of the light to the right, it was moved straight afterwards. Typically, it was my favourite shot of the day, despite lack of catchlights.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean reversing the lights?
      flickr

Comment

i agree- the picture is super cute, but we lose vibrance in baby's left eye. as for reversing the lights, i think he means move the left one to the right side and vise versa. this way, light actually reaches under the fabric and catches both eyes.
        f
        faith bell photography
        febphotos@me.com
        Facebook
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by phaither View Post
          i agree- the picture is super cute, but we lose vibrance in baby's left eye. as for reversing the lights, i think he means move the left one to the right side and vise versa. this way, light actually reaches under the fabric and catches both eyes.
          f
          exactly.....
          Scott
          Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Originally posted by phaither View Post
            f
            Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that was what was meant, but I checked in case there was something I had missed

Thanks for your helpful comment!

Originally posted by scootermcq View Post
            exactly.....
            Cheers
            flickr

Comment

I assume the wall and the blanket are both shades of pink...W/B looks pretty good.
              IMO the light to the rt is a bit too hot. There are portions of the blanket that are blown almost white and lost the detail.
              As Scott mentioned the shadow due to the blanket...That could have been fixed with a bounce card low front but probably would not have added the catchlights desired. I think that even if you had reversed the lights you would still need some bounce because both sources are primarily from above. I'm guessing the child was laying on something white/light because I think there is *some* bounce fill getting in. That might have been enough with the lights reversed.
              Steve
              the Photographic Academy.com
              SharpShooter Industries
              My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sk66 View Post
                I assume the wall and the blanket are both shades of pink...W/B looks pretty good.
                IMO the light to the rt is a bit too hot. There are portions of the blanket that are blown almost white and lost the detail.
                As Scott mentioned the shadow due to the blanket...That could have been fixed with a bounce card low front but probably would not have added the catchlights desired. I think that even if you had reversed the lights you would still need some bounce because both sources are primarily from above. I'm guessing the child was laying on something white/light because I think there is *some* bounce fill getting in. That might have been enough with the lights reversed.
                Thanks for your comment. I forgot to mention the reflector (!) which was underneath the light on the right. I have put up another shot with the same lighting set up from a different angle and minus towel, which looks quite different... So towel took the full force of the flash, I think...
                flickr

Comment

Working...
                X