Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Photo Studio set Up Question??

Hi all.,
    Im Trying To Buy Some Stuff To Take Picture in My House just for My family and i will like to know. if anyone in here that got any knowledge of studio lighning or set up can help me and tell me what do i need to take some nice clean shots in my house. just a small set up something no too expensive
    as a rite now i dont got anything not even a backdrop. but can someone please write me everything that i will need.

Thank You

budget????
    -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
    -I'm a vessel of useless information; just ask my wife.

-Critiques and editing of my pics for DPS always welcome-

Comment

Something not to expensive its just for family shots something nice to take some decents shoots
      Thank you for your assitance

Comment

We really need a dollar amount. "not too expensive" can mean very different things to different people.
        Brad Dudenhoffer
        "All you need is Peace, Love, and a solid monopod,"
        My flickr | my blog

Comment

Anything between $100 & 600 Something simple not to big something easy to move around

Comment

Camera you'll be using?
            -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Comment

This is What I got so far

Nikon D80 & also The Nikon D3000
              With the Following Lents
              Nikon 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
              Nikon 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G
              Nikon 55-200mm 1.4-5.5.6G
              Nikon AF 50mm 1:1.4 D

Comment

Sorry I can't help you because you shoot Nikon.

j/k

Did you want to stick with using Nikon's CLS system or were you willing to go manual flash? CLS will cost more and I'm not sure if you'll be able to use your pop up as a master since I'm not a Nikon shooter. You can save lots of money with Manual flash though.

Comment

Lol u dont like nikon

i dont wanna use the pop up flash

Comment

so did you want to stick with CLS or go manual flash?

you wouldn't be using the pop up for light but to tell the other flashes what to do.

Comment

Dont know what is ClS but i dont know im new to photography i just want to set up a little nice studio in my house to take nice shots of my family at home

Comment

This where the problem exists. I could list all kinds of equipment for both solutions but it's going to take a whole book to explain the how's and why's.

CLS is Nikon lingo for using your camera to tell the off camera flashes what to do. They have to be Nikon flashes that understand it though. Joe McNally uses the CLS system religiously and gets great results but he can afford it.

Manual flash is something that David Hobby is an advocate of as can be evidenced by his website strobist.com. It's cheaper but works just as great.

It's not the equipment but the person behind the camera using that equipment that gets you that great picture.

CLS is great if you have LoS (line of sight) of all your flashes. Manual is great because you don't need LoS of all your flashes.

Something to take pictures at home could translate later to "now I want to go outdoors and other places". If you're willing to lug around gear when you go to other places indoors or outdoors then Paul C. Buff makes some good gear. You'll be going with manual flash though but the lights are dependable and more powerful than speedlites. If you go outdoors with those then you'll need a very long extension cord or portable power.

If you go with the Nikon CLS system then it's a bit more portable and not as heavy to lug around. You'll be spending more money though.

If you go with manual speedlites then you'll have more money to spend on other things like a couple lightstands, remote triggers and umbrellas.

Paul C. Buff
                        AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment
                        You'll need to budget for wireless triggers too. That can run anywhere from $60 - $200 for the low end.

Nikon CLS
                        Buy two of these - 4802B NIKON SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight - Refurbished By Nikon U.S.A.
                        You'll need to buy lightstands and umbrellas as well so put that in your budget.

Manual flashes
                        Strobist Starving Student SC3 Lighting Kit
                        Light stands, remotes and umbrellas included
                        Last edited by oldwolf; 02-08-2011, 04:09 AM.

Comment

The set up i will like to use is like two umbrella a backdrop for the wall but i dont know what to use for light and stuff like that hopefully you can understand what im writing to you im new to this so i dont got a single clue on what to do or what to set up to take some nice shots inside my house.

and i really appreciate all your assistance

Comment

I suggest starting at the Strobist 101 and 102 series (here: Strobist: Lighting 101 ). The information is written for speelight users but most of it is applicable to larger strobes.
                            Brad Dudenhoffer
                            "All you need is Peace, Love, and a solid monopod,"
                            My flickr | my blog

Comment

Here are a few things I can suggest. You don't really need a background. You can use the setting of the house as the background. That is free. Or if you want a background invest in removable wallpaper and put it on a wall.

Lighting. Use natural light. That is free. Use window light, the closer the softer the light. You will have to of course get creative and find the right angle. Enhance the natural light you have with reflectors to bounce the light. You can create a cheap reflector with core poster board and aluminum foil. To diffuse strong light from a window use sheer curtains.

A studio setting does not have to be expensive. I have been doing this for 10 years see my work at Ania Photo-Photographer in Colorado. Wedding, Baby, Senior, Boudior Portrait Photography,Hawaii (all natural light). If you have any more questions feel free to contact me.
                              Ania Photo

Comment

Working...
                              X