Aerial photography settings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial photography settings?

I like to take photos of mountains from a small plane. I was flying last week and it was bright and sunny and there was lots of snow on the mountain tops. Perfect I thought.
    I set the Canon 7 camera on ISO 100 and the shutterspeed at 1/1200 of a sec. Most of my photos are not sharp. Do I need a faster shutter speed? Does a high shutter speed with low ISO affect resolution? I need help.
    Thank you
    Peggy

Were you shooting through a glass window?

High shutter speed and low ISO doesn't affect resolution.
    Flickr stream.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34094515@N00/

Comment

Do not let the camera, or your hand/arm holding it, rest against any part of the airplane.
      Steve
      the Photographic Academy.com
      SharpShooter Industries
      My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Hi Richard,
        I was shooting through glass. And I was not resting against the plane or the glass. Today, I tried again at 1/2000 of a second and 400 ISO. No movement this time, but noisy and looked weird - color not good even though sunny and snow was nice and white. Kinda blocky looking. I am tearing my hair out. Am I using too short a shutter speed now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhubarb View Post
          Hi Richard,
          I was shooting through glass. And I was not resting against the plane or the glass. Today, I tried again at 1/2000 of a second and 400 ISO. No movement this time, but noisy and looked weird - color not good even though sunny and snow was nice and white. Kinda blocky looking. I am tearing my hair out. Am I using too short a shutter speed now?

Heres a thought...try different settings while you are up there and find the one that works...so far you have tried 2.

Comment

The plexiglass aircraft windows are made of can do weird things to the light coming thru it...
            Steve
            the Photographic Academy.com
            SharpShooter Industries
            My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

SOn't worry about your DOP that much, need to use a higher/highest shutter speed to stop Vibration from the plane or helo you're flying in.
              http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
              http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
              (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

What focal length are you shooting at? With a long focal length coupled with the a/c vibration, it may be near impossible without stabilization equipment. Just depends on how much vibration you are dealing with and how far you are zoomed in.

Can you post an example along with the EXIF data?

Jeff
                Landscapes and Light Painting, Nikon and Pentax equipment
                Eagle Vista Studio - Light Painting - Getting Started With Sunrise Photography
                "Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." Charlie Mingus

Comment

Aerial photography is the taking of photographs of the ground from an elevated positions.Aerial photos shots show a larger area and the surroundings.

Comment

Working...
                  X