Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my panoramics stitch wonky?!

hi all,

I recently went out to Lake Karapiro (a long thin New Zealand lake that is used for rowing - in fact the recent World Champs was held there) to get some panoramic shots.

I used a tripod, locked down on all axis except the horizontal for panning. Overlap by 20-30% as standaard. However, when I got home and stitched it, all the images are out of alignment. Tried Hugin as well, same thing. Setting are on Rectilinear and the images stagger regularly upwards or downwards. I cant seem to work out the problme, as I levelled the tripod, locked it down securely, had mirror lockup and timer (to eliminate/decrease camera shake), yet the image stitch together in a wonky shape. Was using a 50mm 1.8 so its not the perspective distortion being corrected.

Any help much appreicitaed

Nathan
    Bodies: Canon 30D, Canon D60
    auto lenses: 50mm f/1.8, 28-80mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
    manual lenses: 18-28mm f/4, 135mm f/2.8

This work by Nathan Barlow is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No-Derivative Works 3.0 New Zealand License. Please ask before posting modified images, unless otherwise stated.

For better results, you might consider posting this on the Digital Photography Techniques Forum. Sorry I can't help you.
    Phil Bunker
    Sites: flickr
    Gear: Pentax K110D; Pentax 18-55 f/3.5-5.6; Pentax 50-200 f/4-5.6; Pentax 55mm f/1.8; Tamron Macro 90mm f/2.8; Manfrotto tripod and ball head; Adobe Photoshop Elements 10

Comment

Could you maybe provide an example, just to make it clearer what you're meaning?

Also I've moved this over to the technique area.
      Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
      Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
      My Flickr

Comment

How did you level the camera? Remember, there are three axes of possible movement: yaw, pitch, and roll. You need to level for both pitch and roll before you rotate in yaw. Most folks get the roll (left-to-right) leveled, but screw up with the pitch (front-to-back).

Also, are you having problems with alignment on nearby objects? If so, the issue may be parallax error. You have to find the NPP (no parallax point) for your camera/lens/focal length combination, and the rotate around that, not so much the tripod hole. It's why pano rails and pano heads exist.
        I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

hi all,

thanks for the replies, and sorry for placing my thread in the wrong place

http://s8.postimage.org/als572wv9/example_pano.png

I mean that the images seem to stagger, meaning I would have to crop along those white lines, losing the tip of the hill.

This work by Nathan Barlow is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No-Derivative Works 3.0 New Zealand License. Please ask before posting modified images, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Looks like you werent actually level in the ROLL direction.
            I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
            adammontpetit.com
            Gear List
            500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

Yeah, roll most likely. Could be pitch, too, though.

Here's what you do. Click on the Move/Drag tab.

To correct for pitch, drag up and down (straighten the horizon).

To correct for roll, right-drag (rotate the horizon).

{correcting for yaw is dragging left/right, but that really only works with 360-degree panos}.

You might also want to play with a few of the other projections.

And this is why one of my pieces of advice when shooting panos is: shoot more vertical coverage than you think you need. You're going to end up cropping and doing horizon correction. Shoot multiple rows if you have to. If you can't do that, shoot with the camera in portrait orientation.

Oh, and I recommend one of these:

There are 3-axis ones, too, but those are really only useful if you shoot sphericals like me.
              Last edited by inkista; 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM.
              I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

I have a bubble level on the tripod, AFAIK its two levels - its a circular one with "get the bubble under the dot inside the circle" deal. Thats whay i was so confused that it came out so unlevel?

I was shooting portrait orientation too

thought i had done everything right, and clearly missed something

Comment

Could it be that when you turned the mount on your tripod 90 degrees to put the camera in portrait orientation, it wasn't quite 90 degrees? Yes, you might have had the mount flat, but once you tilted it up, if the camera wasn't square, then the edges would slope down as you stitched the edges together.
                  My flickr

Nikon D5000 / Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens / Nissin DI-866ii flash

Comment

What head are you using on your tripod?
                    So Much To Learn....
                    D90
                    18-200 VRII, 105mm DC f2, 35mm 1.8G
                    2x SB-700
                    055CXPRO3 with 468MGRC2 with "M" Plate

Comment

Lucky for you that its just sky that got clipped in the top right so you could probably just clone in some more sky and clouds.
                      Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
                      Flickr Photobucket
                      Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

This is just me, but I'm not completely sure you needed a tripod for this scene. You probably could have done this handheld, unless you were using a slow shutter speed to get a small aperture and low iso.

To me, a panohead and tripod are required when you're shooting with a telephoto and need to track coverage, or if you're shooting with foreground that's near enough to require no-parallax point rotation. Otherwise, handheld can typically do quite well.

This was a pano I shot handheld with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro on an XT. I shot 27 images (3x9 grid), with the camera in landscape orientation.

I seriously need to re-edit this and get rid of the balloon ghosting. But as you can see, it works just fine without a tripod or leveling or careful rotation around an NPP point.

And +1 on IABoomer's comments. Just because the tripod is level doesn't mean the camera is. For me, the dual-axis hotshoe bubble level is actually easier to use and more accurate than the dot-in-a-circle levels. I've had success with both, though. YMMV. But I use them a little differently. I'm mostly using them along with a monopod or a plumb line to make sure I'm holding the camera in the same spot in space while rotating around the NPP point with a fisheye lens to shoot spherical panos.
                        Last edited by inkista; 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

IABoomers suggestion clicked with me

I know i was having difficulty getting the plate to secure tightly - ended up using a 1c euro coin which was in my bag as a makeshift screwdriver. First thing i did when i got back was find a screwdriver that fits and put it in my camera bag IMagine the camera coulda rotated in situ when in portrait orientation on the tripod.

Thanks for all the help

Originally posted by IABoomer View Post
                          Could it be that when you turned the mount on your tripod 90 degrees to put the camera in portrait orientation, it wasn't quite 90 degrees? Yes, you might have had the mount flat, but once you tilted it up, if the camera wasn't square, then the edges would slope down as you stitched the edges together.

Comment

Working...
                          X