Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricky exposure - how can you HDR a stiched panorama?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky exposure - how can you HDR a stiched panorama?

Hi there,

I have a slightly tricky evening shot, There's a well lit restaurant but a very poorly lit waterfall somewhere out there. How can I lift the waterfall without blowing out the restaurant?

EXIF

Camera Nikon D90
    Exposure 2s
    Aperture f/16.0
    Focal Length 22 mm
    ISO Speed 200

Cheers,

Fraser
    Frisby

Flickr
    Nikon D90, 18-105mm Kit, 70-300mm, 12-24mm, 50mm.

Shoot when it's lighter out, add light to the fountain (flash or otherwise), shoot for HDR, or conceivably use a graduated neutral density filter tilted to the side (that would be pretty tricky, BTW).
    Flickr

Comment

Thanks Doug,

I'll try with lighter out. But it's a bit of a swim to get to the waterfall for flash ;-)

Can you do HDR with a series of stiched shots like this?

Cheers,

Fraser
      Frisby

Flickr

Comment

Actually, I was thinking about light painting with a 2,000,000 candlepower flashlight, or maybe car headlights. IIRC, Dave Black lightpainted one of the Mitten Buttes in Monument Valley, so a dinky little fountain shouldn't be too hard.

For flash, depending on how dark the lake is, one or more snooted Alienbees B1200s might do the trick. (Or maybe you could hire a diver to carry a speedlight? )

For HDR, you can certainly do that with stitched panoramas. Shoot multiple different exposures of the first pane of the panorama without moving the camera, then repeat for the remaining panes. (Manual everything is key here.) When you get to your computer, stitch the different exposures into panoramic images first, then do the HDR merge.
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Sundseth View Post
          When you get to your computer, stitch the different exposures into panoramic images first, then do the HDR merge.

I just took a workshop with a HDR Panoramic Photographer and he taught us to do the HDR Merge first then exported to TIFF then stitched the merged TIFF in Photoshop. Someone in the class asked if they could do it in the other order (stitch first then HDR merge) and the answer given was no, it wouldn't work well.... I can't remember the exact reasons he stated, I'll see if I can find my notes tomorrow. Don't know if that's right or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.
          *)
          ..*) .*)
          (. (.
          GCG

Comment

This:
            Niagara Falls
            Was done as GCG suggested.....
            9 images, made into 3 HDRs and then photomerged into one image
            Last edited by scootermcq; 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM.
            Scott
            Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

You can also do exposure-merging and pano stitching all at once with Hugin.

24 shots, 8 sets of three shots, auto bracketed at ±2EV. (handheld)
              Hugin, enfused.

Just loaded 'em all up into Hugin and let 'er rip. No HDR/tone-mapping weird file formats required, either, since I used enfuse. Hugin can output HDR if you want, but I'm lazy and prefer exposure fusing.
              Last edited by inkista; 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM.
              I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

I believe PTGUI will do what you want with just a set of raw images.
                Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
                Flickr Photobucket
                Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry not to have got back to you sooner. Weather's been crap so hopefully next week will give some of your suggestions a shot. Now where will I find me a diver. . .
                  Frisby

Flickr

Comment

If you want to try something a little simpler, you could take only two exposures, layer them and then mask off the appropriate areas.

Thats how i did this image:

12 images, 2 exposures.

rig

Comment

Yeah, if you're going to do exposure blending, I'd actually suggest stitching first, blending later, so that your seams are evenly exposed. Doing HDR on stitched images shouldn't be problematic, but for a very large panorama it's going to be INCREDIBLY slow work. You can give it a shot, I actually wrote up a tutorial for this a while back, which I posted here.
                      Nikon D80 / 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 / 55-200mm f/4-5.6 / 50mm f/1.8 / SB-400
                      Flickr Photostream / Photosynth Panoramas / 500px Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by kcoppock View Post
                        Yeah, if you're going to do exposure blending, I'd actually suggest stitching first, blending later, so that your seams are evenly exposed. Doing HDR on stitched images shouldn't be problematic, but for a very large panorama it's going to be INCREDIBLY slow work. You can give it a shot, I actually wrote up a tutorial for this a while back, which I posted here.
                        Yes, thats what I meant. make two exact panoramas with 2 different exposures then blend them by hand.

Comment

Working...
                        X