Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to capture real rain drops as they fall.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to capture real rain drops as they fall.

Dear DSP people,

I am contacting you with the idea in mind to try to obtain information and/or tips on how to capture real rain drops when taking a landscape photography, freezing the rain drops as they fall.

A will appreciate any help in the aforementioned subject.

Thanks,

Lamis

If you want them to disappear, then you'll want a fast shutterspeed to freeze them in their movement. You'll need a VERY fast shutter speed to totally freeze them, though.

If you want them to show (as in you want it to look as though it is raining) then you need a slightly longer shutterspeed to allow them to move during the exposure
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

How to capture real rain drops as they fall

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
      If you want them to disappear, then you'll want a fast shutterspeed to freeze them in their movement. You'll need a VERY fast shutter speed to totally freeze them, though.

If you want them to show (as in you want it to look as though it is raining) then you need a slightly longer shutterspeed to allow them to move during the exposure
      Thanks OsmosisStudios for the reply.
      Is there any aperture recommended ? I tried f-stop 22 and shutter speeds of 30-60 sec., but did not work. I want to freeze the rain drops as a way to enhance the landscape photography.

Comment

If you're trying to isolate their movement you want to go the other way: open up your lens and speed up the shutter.
        Iso Hatch Exposures

Comment

This may give you an idea. 1/320 second.
          Larger pic is on my Flickr stream.

How far can raindrops fall in 1/320 second?

Camera Canon EOS 40D
          Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
          Aperture f/9
          Focal Length 235 mm
          ISO Speed 640
          Exposure Bias 0 EV
          Flash Flash did not fire
          Flickr stream.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/34094515@N00/

Comment

Another one, this time at 1/640.
            Really needs to be viewed large on Flickr to see the rain drops better.
            Yellow flower in the rain.
            Flickr stream.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/34094515@N00/

Comment

Richard, thank you very much. I think the point is now clear to me. All of you have been very helpful.

Comment

Lighting can also help alot, consider a flash. If you can, an off camera lightsource and one that backlights the raindrops alone, can be helpful. You can see what I mean by looking at the photograph posted above with the car - the raindrops lit by the headlights show very clearly.
                My Gear and My Flickr

Comment

or you could do as long an exposure as you want and trigger a flash... that will freeze those suckers no problem.

http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
                  D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Comment

Working...
                  X