Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macbook Pro... Which is best for Video and Photo editing on the go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Macbook Pro... Which is best for Video and Photo editing on the go?

    I mean, as for specs goes, what do you guys recommend?

    I was thinking of something like this -



    Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer Z0M1-0003 B&H

    or using Apple's custom/hand select my specs which I would prefer. I would think getting 3GHz with 4GBs of RAM or 8 and maybe have about 200gb OS main hard drive...

    What you guys think or recommend?
    Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

    Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

  • #2
    That looks very good.
    I've taken the CD drive out of mine and now have a 1TB mirrored raid setup built in (2x 1TB drives).
    And I love the thing.

    That said, why a laptop? A desktop with large external (or even dual) monitor setup is going to be better for the same/less.
    Steve
    the Photographic Academy.com
    SharpShooter Industries
    My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sk66 View Post
      That looks very good.
      I've taken the CD drive out of mine and now have a 1TB mirrored raid setup built in (2x 1TB drives).
      And I love the thing.

      That said, why a laptop? A desktop with large external (or even dual) monitor setup is going to be better for the same/less.
      take to work, I have a ton of down time so I'd like to take advantage of that down time especially when I'm allowed to

      (its a loss prevention job)
      Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

      Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

      Comment


      • #4
        No matter what you get purchase Aperture 3. It is a good editing program. I like it better than Photoshop. And if you decide to get either a laptop or desktop when you get the other one you can also install it on either one again.
        Please feel free to critque my pictures or entries.
        Canon EOS Rebel XSi, Canon EOS 20D - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II -Lens - Canon 430EX II ETTL Speedlite

        Full EFIX on www.flickr.com/photos/10694814@N04/
        photo albums are on:www.afdfotography.smugmug.com

        Comment


        • #5
          For hardware, just max everything out.

          For software ... Photoshop+Lighroom is pretty standard, and you could easily substitute Aperture for LR. Video editing ... if you went with CS Production Premium you'd get Photoshop and Premiere.

          I like Final Cut Pro/Express, but I'm not enchanted by FCP X (I'm a video producer in real life).
          JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
          Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
          Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

          Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jdepould View Post
            For hardware, just max everything out.

            For software ... Photoshop+Lighroom is pretty standard, and you could easily substitute Aperture for LR. Video editing ... if you went with CS Production Premium you'd get Photoshop and Premiere.

            I like Final Cut Pro/Express, but I'm not enchanted by FCP X (I'm a video producer in real life).
            Yea I heard the new Final Cut pro is not good from FilmRiot, but as for this topic I was talking about the best hardware specs for video and photo production I already know the best software thats best to use for photo/video production, such as you mentioned Final Cut Pro I will use for video and use Photoshop and Lightroom latest which I'm already using on my windows which I'm not too happy on cause its not that fast or lags (or just slows down my system too much) and I have about 4GBs of RAM and 200GB western drive with 10kRPM, oh and 856mb video GPU (nvida 8800GTX). So I may have to spend like about $3k or more for a very smooth running macbook pro right for video and photo editing, right?
            Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

            Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

            Comment


            • #7
              Everything about running off a Laptop is "harder" to do as well as can be done with a desktop...in fact, some things just aren't possible...
              The laptop is going to work "harder" and run hotter. It is harder to optimize efficiently for production work (i.e. "program files" on separate drive from "working files"). Backup/ storage is more cumbersome, etc etc.

              Everything you have been inquiring about/posting makes me think you are very serious about this project.
              My recommendation is still for a high end desktop system...get a "good" laptop to go with it if you want the ability to work on stuff away from home.
              Steve
              the Photographic Academy.com
              SharpShooter Industries
              My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sk66 View Post
                Everything about running off a Laptop is "harder" to do as well as can be done with a desktop...in fact, some things just aren't possible...
                The laptop is going to work "harder" and run hotter. It is harder to optimize efficiently for production work (i.e. "program files" on separate drive from "working files"). Backup/ storage is more cumbersome, etc etc.

                Everything you have been inquiring about/posting makes me think you are very serious about this project.
                My recommendation is still for a high end desktop system...get a "good" laptop to go with it if you want the ability to work on stuff away from home.
                I disagree on the laptop being harder to optimize, though you do give up some absolute horsepower, the portability is useful. FirewWire (now Thunderbolt) are really easy to get drives hooked up and cooking.

                My setup at home (what I was using for freelance work):
                15" MacBook Pro (i7, 8GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD, 330M graphics)
                iCurve stand (better air circulation around the laptop)
                30" Apple Cinema Display
                KB Final Cut keyboard
                Really cheap generic mouse
                Various WD MyBook drives and LaCie rugged drives

                (exhibit A: untitled_06Feb2011_132447-2.jpg)

                Having said all of that, we did just order a workstation for me at work:
                Mac Pro (dual-quad core, 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, 5870 graphics, Atto fiber optic card)
                2 x 27" Apple Cinema Display
                M-Audio monitors
                Slightly less cheap mouse
                I'll probably bring my keyboard from home

                I'll still have (two) laptops if I need them too.
                JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
                Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
                Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

                Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You give up some horsepower, AND portability if you want optimized/ backup.
                  Look at all those cables and external devices connected to *a laptop*. You can't take it all with you. It would make *more* sense if there was a decent/easy way to "dock" a macbook.

                  I'm happy with my Macbook Pro, but I still don't think it's the best *really serious* answer.
                  Steve
                  the Photographic Academy.com
                  SharpShooter Industries
                  My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sk66 View Post
                    You give up some horsepower, AND portability if you want optimized/ backup.
                    Look at all those cables and external devices connected to *a laptop*. You can't take it all with you. It would make *more* sense if there was a decent/easy way to "dock" a macbook.

                    I'm happy with my Macbook Pro, but I still don't think it's the best *really serious* answer.
                    Thunderbolt makes it way easier to dock. Two connections (including AC), monitor as the hub (ethernet, FW, TB/miniDP, USB).

                    As it is, that stuff all stays in place, I don't need to take any of that stuff with me, I just bring a FW drive and I'm set. In reality, docking is four cables (AC, mini DP, FW, USB). If I need portable, I take the laptop by itself. Most of the stuff is daisy chained, and the cables stay in place.

                    Most of the professionals I know have an MBP and a Mac Pro (sometimes iMac). If you're freelancing or starting out, that is a pretty steep entry price, for what really only amounts to faster rendering. The screen real estate is easy enough to add on a budget.
                    Last edited by jdepould; 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM.
                    JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
                    Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
                    Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

                    Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      thanks for the help and insight guys! As this is my first official Apple purchase so it's a tad scary lolz.
                      Website | Facebook Fanpage | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Model Mayhem

                      Canon; 24-70 2.8L, 50 1.4, Tamron 70-200 2.8, 6D, 550D/T2i, 20D, and XSi.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X