Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Laptop for Photography????

Hi EveryOne,

What is the best laptop for photography - editing & all???
    Im kinda can't come to a decision on either a sony or Mac book Pro.

Thanks

UPDATE Thanks to everyone who as posted their advice! I went & got my laptop on Saturday!
    Last edited by creative_one; 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM.
    Creative One
    Love what u do & do what u love!
    http://photographer-s-world.blogspot.com/
    Nikon D60 ~ 55-200mm ~ 18-55mm

May I ask why a Sony? I'd prefer HP or Dell over Sony if you are going for Windows laptop.. There was a thread some time back on this if you wanna check out..
    -- Prince
    Website Blog Facebook Flickr

Comment

MacBook Pro hands down.

To convince yourself, you should take a CD and test all prospects out very thoroughly. Read reviews as well.

Comment

Originally posted by prince View Post
        May I ask why a Sony? I'd prefer HP or Dell over Sony if you are going for Windows laptop.. There was a thread some time back on this if you wanna check out..
        Well cause i heard that some photographers use sony as well as dell & HP.
        So what would you recommend & why???
        Creative One
        Love what u do & do what u love!
        http://photographer-s-world.blogspot.com/
        Nikon D60 ~ 55-200mm ~ 18-55mm

Comment

17" MacBook Pro (period)

With these options:
          Intel 2.66 Core i7
          17" antiglare widescreen
          8GB Ram
          NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB (IMHO, the best graphics processor in laptops)

Warning: it's going to cost you $3000; don't forget to get Applecare $350 for 3 years of worry free photo editing.

Jerome
          I take pictures because the voices in my head tell me to!

Flickr Photostream,
          My DPS Profile
          Olympus E-M1,
          Zuiko ED 7-14mm f4.0, Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, Zuiko 35mm f3.5 1:1 Macro, Zuiko ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, EC-14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens

Comment

Originally posted by jerome.oneil View Post
            With these options:
            Intel 2.66 Core i7
            17" antiglare widescreen
            8GB Ram
            NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB (IMHO, the best graphics processor in laptops)

Warning: it's going to cost you $3000; don't forget to get Applecare $350 for 3 years of worry free photo editing.

Jerome
            I'd rather save a lot of money and get a windows laptop with the same specs.
            You can buy a lot of nice stuff for the $1500 you'll save. (Lenses? Oh yes!)

Or even better. I'd get a nice desktop with a large monitor that displays colors better than a laptop screen and give you a bigger display to do photo editing.
            Last edited by Exiztence; 09-08-2010, 07:59 PM.
            Gear: Nikon D5000 - Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM f/2.8-f/4 - Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

Exiztence's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Exiztence View Post

Or even better. I'd get a nice desktop with a large monitor that displays colors better than a laptop screen and give you a bigger display to do photo editing.
              Everyone has a budget and/or priorities but you are correct. However, Creative_One asked for opinions on the best laptop for photography. IMHO, you're not going to beat the performance, stability, or ease of use of a Mac with anything in the consumer market. And if Creative_One wants a bigger display he can choose any DVI supported display, including a 60" Toshiba LED HDTV.

Flickr Photostream,
              My DPS Profile
              Olympus E-M1,
              Zuiko ED 7-14mm f4.0, Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, Zuiko 35mm f3.5 1:1 Macro, Zuiko ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, EC-14 1.4x Teleconverter Lens

Comment

Originally posted by Exiztence View Post

It is a fallacy to believe that PCs cost less. Because, you constantly have to purchase stuff that is not included. While EVERYTHING that you need is included in a mac from superb/fast graphics cards to a whole suite of great software including decent photo/video software. If you have Windows software you can certainly use that on a dual processor MBP.

I would suggest that anyone do some serious research before they plunk their money down for a Windoze machine that all too often will crash, hang and drive you nutz. My macs literally never crash or get hung up. (Obviously I keep them clean.)

One can purchase a previously owned MBP for less: Used Macs and Used Apple Notebooks: Reconditioned MacBook Pros, PowerBooks, Mac Books, And iBooks - Mac Of All Trades

I own half a dozen macs and would NEVER purchase a PC on my dime, and most certainly never a desk top. You need a laptop in the field. A 15” works best for me, because I shove that into a back-pack or rolling office. Add a large screen at home and you have the most versatile system. Desk tops are being phased out. They are passée because, today’s laptops are just as powerful and portable.

Most professional photographers and creative types uses mac laptops.

To make the best decision for you, you need to simply try out all contenders.

Good luck!
                Last edited by Photologyst; 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I don't think there are any laptops good for photo editing. I have a friend who is just getting into using Lightroom and he loaded it on his notebook. In all seriousness he asked me what is the point to Lightroom as he can make the picture look however he wants just by tilting the screen a different angle.

That is the problem with working on a laptop, the picture changes as the angle of the screen changes.
                  Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
                  Flickr Photobucket
                  Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Comment

I just bought my 13" MacBook Pro and i'm really Loving it, I don't think i'll go back to PC again
                    ~ Hessa.Zamzam~ *♥
                    “I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good.” !

Comment

Originally posted by kirbinster View Post
                      I don't think there are any laptops good for photo editing. I have a friend who is just getting into using Lightroom and he loaded it on his notebook. In all seriousness he asked me what is the point to Lightroom as he can make the picture look however he wants just by tilting the screen a different angle.

That is the problem with working on a laptop, the picture changes as the angle of the screen changes.

You mean that all those well known professional photographers are wrong? Apparently you friend doesn’t have a mac.

I edit on my MBP all the time because I do a great deal of work on the road. The only way my picture changes is if I turn down the illumination, which I must do to not make the photo too dark in print. No amount of tilting the screen will change how the photo looks.

MBP are made for photo editing. Trust me!

Comment

Go for MacBook Pro !
                        Visit my site for photography tips and experiences. Share your ideas with us
                        www.photographylogg.com

Comment

I’m in the market for a laptop too, so I read this with interest. And I have a couple of questions.

A couple of days ago in another thread
                          Originally posted by Photologyst View Post
                          Sad stories like this one is why people who do photos, graphics or digi-art should always consider purchasing a mac. They come fully loaded for plug and play. In the end, it costs you the same if not less.
                          You can purchase a used one.
                          This was good for a laugh -fully loaded for plug and play- and it made me wonder if Apple has finally got LRF too. But then costs are mentioned, and again here in this thread:
                          It is a fallacy to believe that PCs cost less. Because, you constantly have to purchase stuff that is not included.
                          Apple sounds like a pleasant surprise here, considering its “expensive” reputation. Could you give me some examples of $1000 worth of stuff I will have to buy after purchasing a Windows machine, that Apple delivers out of the box without extra cost?

I would suggest that anyone do some serious research before they plunk their money down for a Windoze machine that all too often will crash, hang and drive you nutz. My macs literally never crash or get hung up. (Obviously I keep them clean.)
                          Doing some serious research I googled “apple mac crashes” and enjoyed the reading and utube films. Google finds lots about Windows too. I also found fun things in Apple and Windows support forums. Computers crash, period. And I found out that Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 are -yes, finally- considered stable by experts, Apple too. Applications crash on both systems, and the systems themselves crash from time to time. To your “never crash” I add my “no crash since 2003 with Windows”.

I’m more than willing to switch to Apple if it’s really better. However, upon serious research your post sounds more like Windows bashing and Apple zealotry than unbiased and knowledgeable advice.

You’re right though when you say, “To make the best decision for you, you need to simply try out all contenders.”
                          I would add, “whatever the OS”.

Comment

Hahaha Photologyst, you made my day!
                            Nice to see someone taking the bait.

But seriously, If I had a rich dad or a big salary I would buy a mac.
                            But at this moment I'd have to put price vs. quality/features (like many people would do) and there's no way a mac will win that one.
                            If they want to sell me a $3000 laptop they'll have to do better than this.
                            Gear: Nikon D5000 - Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM f/2.8-f/4 - Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8

Exiztence's Flickr

Comment

I'm an IT Administrator and applications developer at a major publishing company, I very familiar with Mac and PCs, my opinion is based on 10 years of experience with both platforms. Our graphic production and page production are done with nothing other than Macs (G4, G5, and Intel processors). The Windows systems are used for copy editing and business (accounting, exchange, and job tracking). This alone should tell you what is better for Graphic Arts.

You can check this out yourself, go to any printer (not kinkos or the like) and see what they use for production and what they use for business. The same could be said for newspapers, graphic art shops, and many schools.

With the economy the way it is and IMO Macs are more expensive, why would the publishing and printing sector choose Macs over Windows. Sure Windows has come a long way but still not anywhere close to Macs for Photo and Art processing. And with that, running Photoshop or other processor and memory hogs, Macs are more stable.

We're all going to have our opinion and that's what's great, otherwise, what do you base your decision on, Commercials or ads!

Thanks,
                              Jerome

Flickr Photostream,
                              My DPS Profile
                              Olympus E-M1,

Comment

Working...
                              X