Announcement

Collapse

Please submit your assignment suggestions!

Hi! Please visit THIS THREAD and submit your dPS Assignment suggestions! We'll be starting assignments again in two weeks time - hope to see you all participating.

Thanks!
See more
See less

Lytro, the world’s first light-field camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lytro, the world’s first light-field camera

Interesting device. Looks cool for sure. $399 USD. Not bad.

Lytro Light Field camera pre-orders begin at $399 - SlashGear
    Canon 60D, G12, Leica V-LUX 20, Canon 10-22mm EF-S, 18-135mm EF-S IS, 100mm EF Macro, 15-85mm EF-S IS, 50mm EF f1.4, 70-200mm EF f2.8L IS II, Satechi WR-C100, Gitzo, Sunpak, Manfrotto, Sunbounce, Colormunki,
    Checkout My Photography Blog

Yeah, been keeping an eye on this for a while since I saw a couple of threads about it here a while back.

What I'm imagining is this. Take a photo, then create a time lapse of the subject as you pan through all the different focal planes... so instead of taking many images I can just take the one and watch it as the focus slowly crawls over my subject..

Imagine a portrait that starts out out of focus and the focus slowly crawls
    over the face (with beautiful f/2.0 bokeh!) until it's all out of focus
    again. Sweet. must. buy.

Comment

I just watched a video on this. Pretty cool. I wonder how the quality is going to be though. They say it is an 8 megapixel camera, but so is my Droid X, and the pictures are not that good. Cant wait to see it in person.
      Canon 60D, Canon 40D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Rokinon 8mm, Tamron 18-200. Nifty 50 jumped out of truck and broke
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/danvallelunga/

Comment

Originally posted by RAWcop View Post
        I just watched a video on this. Pretty cool. I wonder how the quality is going to be though. They say it is an 8 megapixel camera, but so is my Droid X, and the pictures are not that good. Cant wait to see it in person.
        I heard 11 megarays ..whatever that is?

Comment

Originally posted by RAWcop View Post
          Not at all, it's counted in megarays, that data gets processed down and there's a small number of pixels - your final image will be about half a megapixel. there are multiple zones of pixels that are each capturing different focus zones so to speak - so the megarays to pixel conversion is not really stated.

The 8 that i've heard floating about is the 8 gigabytes for storage - as there's no card slot or anything. They haven't announced the angle of view yet either, it apparently has a zoom function - but seems like it wont be shipping till 2012 and im not sure but I think i heard it is MAC only at the moment.
          My Gear and My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ravncat View Post
            Not at all, it's counted in megarays, that data gets processed down and there's a small number of pixels - your final image will be about half a megapixel. there are multiple zones of pixels that are each capturing different focus zones so to speak - so the megarays to pixel conversion is not really stated.

The 8 that i've heard floating about is the 8 gigabytes for storage - as there's no card slot or anything. They haven't announced the angle of view yet either, it apparently has a zoom function - but seems like it wont be shipping till 2012 and im not sure but I think i heard it is MAC only at the moment.
            stand corrected. The video I was watching was from a different site. I may have mixed up the storage, zoom and (nonexistent) megapixels. Still a cool little gadget.
            Canon 60D, Canon 40D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Rokinon 8mm, Tamron 18-200. Nifty 50 jumped out of truck and broke
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/danvallelunga/

Comment

Videos about the Litro Camera

Here are two videos that preview or demo the Litro camera:

Litro Light Field Camera
              Litro Light Field Camera | The Photography Channel | ShortForm

CNET Tech Review: Lytro! Camera! Action!
              CNET Tech Review: Lytro! Camera! Action! | The Photography Channel | ShortForm

Comment

Working...
              X