Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust shutter speed and aperture (Nikon D3000)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to adjust shutter speed and aperture (Nikon D3000)

My Nikon D3000 has a dial in which is used to adjust aperture and shutter speed. Even when using different settings, I can't seem to figure out how to adjust them both without the camera taking control of one. Is it possible for me to have total control over both aperture and shutter speed, without the camera controling one, even though the same dial is used to control them?

I hope that made sense...
    Maggie Sharp
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiesharp/

Is your mode dial on Av, Tv. or M? if you want total control it should be on M

Comment

As Adam points out, the camera should be set to Manual mode if you want to be able to set all of the controls yourself.

If you are in Aperture Priority (Av) or Shutter Priority (Tv), then you will only be able to set the aperture or shutter speed, respectively. When shooting in Av, you select the aperture size, and the camera will automatically select the shutter speed so that it will give the "proper" exposure according to how it meters the scene. When shooting in Tv, the opposite happens - you select the shutter speed, and the camera will automatically select the aperture so that it will give the "proper" exposure according to how it meters the scene.

I hope this helps.
      Flickr
      Model Mayhem - I'd love to work with you!
      Twitter - Follow me!
      facebook - Become my fan!

Comment

Page 71 of your manual. (There's a lot of good stuff in there...)

In M Mode (Manual)...rotate the dial to change the shutter speed. While pressing the +/- button, rotate the dial to change aperture.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, I didn't expect it to be so simple.
          Maggie Sharp
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiesharp/

Comment

Working...
          X