Shutter count

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutter count

Is there a way to check in camera how many times the shutter has fired? I've had my camera for about a year now and was wondering how many pictures I have taken so far. The camera in question is a D5100. Thanks!
    If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on being what you've always been.

Try "myshuttercount.com
    Chris J
    D300, 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 VR, 55-200 1:4-5.6 VR, AF 300 f/4 ED-IF
    Minolta X-700, numerous lenses and flashes

My hairs NOT gray!! It's antique blonde.

Comment

Myshuttercount.com is definitely a good source.

It can, however, take quite some time to upload the images (just tried a NEF file from my D5100). If you want something that works a bit faster, I recommend one of those super-light applications that you can install onto your computer. If you have a Mac, I recommend EXIF Viewer. It does have one drawback, however, in that you have to take a JPEG in-camera to find the actuation count. It can't find it in the NEF file.
      Almond Butterscotch
      The Almond Tree
      Facebook Page
      My Equipment

Comment

Myshuttercount.com takes forever with NEF (RAW), but not too bad with jpeg.

I use it, opanda, and Flickr.
        Last edited by TheMoons678; 04-17-2012, 03:30 AM.
        Nikon D700 - Nikon AFS 28-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8, 80-200mm 2.8D, Kiron 105mm 2.8 macro, - SB900, Metz 58 AF-2 - yn622n transceivers/tx
        myflickr
        Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by Capnmo View Post
          Is there a way to check in camera how many times the shutter has fired? I've had my camera for about a year now and was wondering how many pictures I have taken so far. The camera in question is a D5100. Thanks!
          If you have a FlickR it should be in there or you can use an image viewer like Infraview.

But keep in mind different sites/programs can sometimes report different value.

Like Flickr says I am currently at 58,687 actuations while Infranview says 57,239 and I bet if I took the time to upload to myshuttercount it'd say something different.
          My Website: OMGSquirrel | Flickr | Gear: D3, Df, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 UMC AE IF-ED, AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, SB-700, SB-600, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, Induro PHQ1

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, myshuttercount.com didn't take too long, I just used a small jpeg.
            If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on being what you've always been.

Comment

How do you get shutter count out of Flickr?

b

Comment

Take your last picture, go in the Action tab, choose view EXIF info
                What you are looking for is the image number, located at the bottom

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate but based on the little tests I did it's close enough to get a good idea.
                Life is simple: do it, then live the consequenses.
                My Flickr
                Nikon D800, D300, 16-35mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 2 x SB600

Comment

I don't see an action tab. Perhaps one has to be a premium member for this service??

b

Comment

On the right side of the screen, it should tell you when the picture was taken as well as the make/model of the camera. There you will find the EXIF data. Scroll down to "image number".
                    ~Deb~
                    FLICKR
                    Nikon D200; Nikon D3100; Nikon AF-S 35mm 1:1.8G; Nikon Micro 55 mm f/2.8; Nikon DX AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G; Nikon DX AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 GED

Comment

I'm just not seeing anymore information than the camera I used in that place. It must be an advanced feature you get when you pay for a membership?

b

Comment

Just download irfanview. Its free, tells you straight away, dont need internet connection to upload a pic to a site etc.

Comment

I'm a Mac user. Looks to be a PC app.

b

Comment

Simple, buy a PC !
                            Life is simple: do it, then live the consequenses.
                            My Flickr
                            Nikon D800, D300, 16-35mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 2 x SB600

Comment

EXIF Viewer then. Download EXIF Viewer for Mac - Display EXIF information in JPEG files. MacUpdate.com
                              Almond Butterscotch
                              The Almond Tree
                              Facebook Page
                              My Equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X