Possibly Moving to Nikon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly Moving to Nikon

I've had my Olympus e500 for many many moon, but it's very, very out of date - meaning it's getting harder & harder to buy lenses and/or accessories for it, my memory card door is now held on with velcro, and the external flash I bought for it (which barely got use) no longer works at all.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Oly, but I've been increasingly getting frustrated with it's limitations - particularly in low light. I've always been impressed with the manual focus on Nikon's lenses (and that was just the kit lenses). I'm seriously considering making the jump to Nikon, but I don't want to go from a starter camera to a starter camera - if I'm going to do this, I'm going to upgrade as well.

The problem is, I have no idea where to start. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a full-frame camera, and am drooling over the D4 and the D800/800e, but I suspect that may be more than what I need as a hobbyist.
    I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Olympus E-500 / Nikon D7000 / Blog / Gallery / Flickr / 500px

OK to edit and repost my photo(s) only in the DPS forums

D7000 would be an excellent choice.
    "They call me Bruce."
    www.brucebphotography.com

Comment

+1 for D4,

a) you can use Fx and Dx lenses
      b) You can have cropped factor from 1x to 2.7x
      c) You can remotely control and view the photo
      d) Much better ISO performance than previous models
      e) Less limitation compared to other cameras, that can serve you long long time..

Comment

Well, as a hobbyist you don't really "need" anything - this is an issue I wrestle with whenever I want to buy a new lens or something. I guess the real question is, how much are you willing to spend? Bearing in mind the "need" for a whole new set of lenses.

Mmmm - sounds like fun
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/54311838@N00/
        Feel free to edit and re-post my images to DPS only
        Nikon D90, Nikon V1, and a variable bunch of lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by ccting View Post
          +1 for D4,
          ccting, you really should quit giving advice. You have every right to your opinion...but a poorly informed opinion is worse than none at all.

The D4 is not a good choice for most. A D3s/D3/D700 would all be better choices for almost everyone.

OP:
          For an experienced hobbyist I would say D7000 or D300s. If you really want FF and believe you will end up there in the end the D700 or D3s. (add a D3 into the mix if you don't mind buying used/refurb)

Don't worry about the latest greatest. My D3 was THE hot sh*t 4 yrs ago and has already been replaced by two models.
          Steve
          the Photographic Academy.com
          SharpShooter Industries
          My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Unless you have a massive budget, I would take a serious look at some of the entry level cameras out there. The reason I say this is that you'll also have to buy new lenses as well, and I'd much rather use pro quality lenses on any of Nikon's entry level bodies, than use a mediocre lens on one of the pro bodies. The other option would be to pick up a body that's a generation or two older, like the d90, which would still be an upgrade from your Olympus, but would save you quite a bit over buying the latest greatest.
            [ԯ] marcus
            photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Comment

Originally posted by dakwegmo View Post
              Unless you have a massive budget, I would take a serious look at some of the entry level cameras out there. The reason I say this is that you'll also have to buy new lenses as well, and I'd much rather use pro quality lenses on any of Nikon's entry level bodies, than use a mediocre lens on one of the pro bodies. The other option would be to pick up a body that's a generation or two older, like the d90, which would still be an upgrade from your Olympus, but would save you quite a bit over buying the latest greatest.
              +1

Buy used and buy cheap. A D5000 body for $350 used isn't bad, a D80 for $275-325, a D3100 for $350, a D90 body for close to $500. All those could save you some room in your budget for some lenses to get started (if you have a total budget of 500-800).

D5100 could be a great option if you'd like to spend a little more. I love my d7000, but I also loved my older d80 and d90.
              Nikon D700 - Nikon AFS 28-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8, 80-200mm 2.8D, Kiron 105mm 2.8 macro, - SB900, Metz 58 AF-2 - yn622n transceivers/tx
              myflickr
              Spencer

Comment

I can see the D5100 instead of the D7000....
                Steve
                SharpShooter Industries

Comment

Originally posted by sk66 View Post
                  ccting, you really should quit giving advice. You have every right to your opinion...but a poorly informed opinion is worse than none at all.

The D4 is not a good choice for most. A D3s/D3/D700 would all be better choices for almost everyone.

OP:
                  For an experienced hobbyist I would say D7000 or D300s. If you really want FF and believe you will end up there in the end the D700 or D3s. (add a D3 into the mix if you don't mind buying used/refurb)

Don't worry about the latest greatest. My D3 was THE hot sh*t 4 yrs ago and has already been replaced by two models.
                  Agree... but i love the latest technology, and i learn photography by receiving your critiques..
                  I could not agree with SK for D5100.. I would change my D5100 for D3000.. I wander why Nikon..??

Dear SK, can you compare between the following "items" among D5100 vs D3S vs D4
                  a) ISO performance (ease of use)
                  b) Lenses Compatibility (Cost efficiency)
                  c) Remote control & viewing via Laptop / computer (Learning curve & more accurate & instant analysis via big monitor; get instant display on big screen for clients to see)
                  d) Battery cost and how many hours it can last?
                  etc

I wander why you replace your D3 with D4?? I wander why you are not getting D5100 instead of D7000 LOL.. I believe the latest is the best (on paper) .. ;D

If i am you, I will buy 2nd D90 or D3000.. ;D. I assure you will regret if you go for D5100. You will know the reasons..later. If i have choice, i shift to Canon instead of Nikon. Reasons: Much cheaper to own more photography equipments, including lenses etc. Currently i throw my D5100 and kit lens into the store, and never use them again. I prefer using D3000 with 50mm f/1.8
                  Last edited by ccting; 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Many have said D7000 and I agree. I would also say D90 if you are looking to save a few bucks.
                    If you are going full frame, D700 is nice. I'd like to try new D800 but I really do not need such strong movie capabilities or 36mp. A 36mp monster will require a nice hard drive to support processing requirements. Imagine editing a batch of RAW images that you just downloaded from a 36mp camera. Some may need it but I personally do not need D800.
                    Sometimes I take crappy photos but I do my best to fix them. I show it all at CrispPhotoWorks.com

Comment

and i learn photography by receiving your critiques..
                      Just because you cannot use your D5100 properly doesn't make it a bad camera. You are so frustrated with the thing your camera cannot do that you are completly missing the boat. Ever thought the D5100 could be to advanced for you and this is why you are getting better results with the D3000 ?

Wake up buddy, every stong posters here have the same reaction when we read your post: "What the...?".

You should spend more time on the field and less time here. You would learn a lot more and confuse less people.

My 2 cent
                      Last edited by Shokinen; 02-08-2012, 12:52 PM.
                      Life is simple: do it, then live the consequenses.
                      My Flickr
                      Nikon D800, D300, 16-35mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 2 x SB600

Comment

+1 for D4,

a) you can use Fx and Dx lenses
                        b) You can have cropped factor from 1x to 2.7x
                        c) You can remotely control and view the photo
                        d) Much better ISO performance than previous models
                        e) Less limitation compared to other cameras, that can serve you long long time..
                        First off: Nobody suggested the D4. "+1" refers to you agreeing with someone. You can't agree with nothing.

A) ALL nikon cameras can use FX and DX lenses. On a D4 (or other FX cameras) you actually lose functionality from DX lenses; on DX cameras you don't lose any functionality. So You've got this one completely wrong.

B) The x2.7 crop is for video only, not for stills.

C)You can remotely control and view photos on any Nikon body, provided you have CaptureNX and a suitable laptop connection.

D)We don't know that yet: nobody's tested straight-up HighISO tests. I'm gonna suggest the D3s probably still does it better, but it'll be close, and I'll wait for tests before jumping to any conclusions.

E) My D80 lasted me 5 years, my D300s has already served me 2, and I dont expect to buy anything more, really. My lenses are all fine too. What do you mean "less limitation"?

Agree... but i love the latest technology, and i learn photography by receiving your critiques..
                        I could not agree with SK for D5100.. I would change my D5100 for D3000.. I wander why Nikon..??
                        As Shokinen said, your failings with the D5100 is not the fault of the camera, it's a fault with you. That said:

Dear SK, can you compare between the following "items" among D5100 vs D3S vs D4
                        a) ISO performance (ease of use)
                        b) Lenses Compatibility (Cost efficiency)
                        c) Remote control & viewing via Laptop / computer (Learning curve & more accurate & instant analysis via big monitor; get instant display on big screen for clients to see)
                        d) Battery cost and how many hours it can last?
                        etc
                        For starters, comparing an entry-level camera (D5100) to the absolute top of the line (D3s/D4) is pure folly. It's idiotic at best.
                        A) "ISO performance" and "ease of use" are in no way related. Which do you want answered?
                        B) As I pointed out, DX bodies are actually more compatible than FX bodies because they natively support both DX and FX lenses.
                        C) Again, see above: Capture NX works on all bodies. Completely moot point.
                        D) Uh, have you LOOKED at an EN-EL4a (D3s) or EN-EL18 (D4)? $110 and $170 respectively. They're not cheap, especially compared to the D5100.

I wander why you replace your D3 with D4?? I wander why you are not getting D5100 instead of D7000 LOL.. I believe the latest is the best (on paper) .. ;D
                        Because he's a professional that needs better video? Because his D3 is, as it's been used by a pro, nearing the end of it's life? As for the D5100/D7000: there are features on the D7000 that the D5100 just doesnt have: AF motor, CLS commander, dual scroll wheels. These the same big features that the D7000 has over the D3000, in case you were worried I'd forgotten.

If i am you, I will buy 2nd D90 or D3000.. ;D. I assure you will regret if you go for D5100. You will know the reasons..later. If i have choice, i shift to Canon instead of Nikon. Reasons: Much cheaper to own more photography equipments, including lenses etc. Currently i throw my D5100 and kit lens into the store, and never use them again. I prefer using D3000 with 50mm f/1.8
                        GO ahead, go bother the Canon guys. You'll be just as wrong there. If you think that Canon is cheaper, then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit. There are lenses, flashes, etc on both sides of the fence that are cheaper than their counterparts. Need an image-stabilized 70-300 lens? Go Nikon. Want a super sharp 70-200 lens? Canon's f/4 is a sweet, cheap option. Flashes? Nikon is cheaper, though not by much anymore. If you're not going to use that D5100, send it my way. I'll let someone who can appreciate it use it.

Shokinen hit the nail on the head. You're the self-described noob, and it SHOWS. Everybody can tell, even other newcomers. Learn to listen more than you talk. Learn to ask more than you answer. And learn what you're talking about before yammering nonsensically.
                        I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
                        adammontpetit.com
                        Gear List
                        500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

I'm not going to try to answer all of your questions...Os gave a fair appraisal (even if it seemed a little harsh).

To answer the ease of use question...depends on what you know, and your style I would think. For me the pro bodies work better; I've been using them longer. Can't compare the D5100 to the other in ISO performance, the others win. As does the D3/D700. But the D5100 is equal to the D7000.

I replaced my D3 with the D4 because my D3 drowned in a river and the insurance is paying for it. To be honest, I haven't even received the D4 and I'm having a little "buyers remorse" because I probably could have (almost) gotten 2 D3s's for the money and they would be about equal to the D4 for my needs...Hell, they are all well beyond "my needs"; I do ok with the D7000. And I will be keeping the D7000 because it can do some things the D4 can't.
                          Steve
                          SharpShooter Industries

Comment

I have 3 lenses for my Oly that serve me well: my 14-45mm kit lens (for wide angle), my 70-300mm telephoto (which hardly gets any use), and my baby: a Sigma f/2.8 105mm ex dg macro lens that's seen so much use, the black lens housing has faded gray in most areas (it very, VERY rarely comes off my camera, and I've found it makes for a pretty good general-purpose lens).

I know quality glass is going to set me back, which is why I'm in the "research & save" phase right now. It took me months to decide on my Oly back when I bought it - but if I'd had a bigger budget, I'd have probably bought the Nikon D40x. No buyers remorse, and my Oly's served me VERY well over the years, but it's time to move up.

You've all given me some food for thought, and a lot of the suggestions were along the lines I was already eyeballing. Like I said, the new d800 looks pretty, but I really don't need that much camera. Of course, the D4 would be nice too, but that's definitely out of any budget I could fathom. I'm eyeing the D300s, but I want to go play with one in the store for a while before pulling the trigger. I'm also trying to decide if I should go "new" or "used/refurbished". I know to stick to sites like B&H, Keh, and Adorama for used and/or refurbished equipment, but again, I'm still a ways from making a final decision.
                            I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Olympus E-500 / Nikon D7000 / Blog / Gallery / Flickr / 500px

OK to edit and repost my photo(s) only in the DPS forums

Comment

At least you know a bit where you are going, what focal lenght you like, and this will help you in your final decision.

The D300s is a semi-pro body, with a few plus over the D7000. It has a bigger buffer (usefull if you use burst in RAW), un-compressed RAW, and a more advanced focus system. The D7000 has a newer sensor, 16MP over 12MP and a bit better in low-light (+1 ISO stop). Something to keep in mind too, the D300s only have P S A M mode. May be all you need but could be something to think about if other members of your family will use it.

The only thing is this category (D300s) is kinda due for a replacement if you follow the trends. There is nothing confirmed yet, but a few rumors are running around so it might be interesting to wait a bit and see if there will be a replacement and what it will offer.

You also have to think about changing your lenses (there may be an adapter but this is a field I'm not comfortable providing advices). The Nikon 105 f/2.8 macro is an awsome lens. You have the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 for wide angle (next lens on my list) whish is also a very respectable lens. Combine with either a general zoom such as the 16-85m f/3.5-5.6 or a prime such as th 35/50mm f/1.8 (depending on your style) and you will have a solid kit.
                              Life is simple: do it, then live the consequenses.
                              My Flickr
                              Nikon D800, D300, 16-35mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 2 x SB600

Comment

Working...
                              X