No announcement yet.

Possibly Moving to Nikon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy most of my stuff refurbished and have had very good luck with it, it's a great way to save money if you can live with a 90 day warranty. I also buy used from usedcameras.com and have been pleased with everything I've received from them.
    [ԯ] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Comment

Again, a lot of what's prompted this was my less-than-2-years-old-and-barely-used flash died, and I had to decide whether or not I really wanted to spend another $150+ on a new flash, or just toss the $$ aside for a new/upgraded camera. My E500 works great still, but I'm extremely limited in what I can do with it, and I'm finding I want to push myself beyond it's capabilities. If Olympus wasn't dropping their E-series altogether & focusing on micro-four-thirds, I'd probably go that route. I mean, I could always spend the $1700 on an E5, or buy a used/refurbished E3, but there's no real opportunity to move up.

I'm looking for something that's going to last me quite some time. Nobody else will be using the camera, and I'm primarily an Aperture-priority person anyway (venturing into manual mode from time to time). I consider video features to be a nice perk, but it's not something mandatory. Same with an articulating LCD. I'm old-fashioned & use the view-finder anyway, so Live View isn't even that much of a big draw for me. I would like something that can use my existing CF cards (which, I'll admit, was part of the draw of the d800), but SD cards are so cheap these days, even that's not much of a necessity.

Again, a lot of food for thought, and I'm certainly open to what other people have to say. I'm no where near pulling the trigger on the purchase yet (have a few other things to pay down first, and a couch that desperately needs replacing), so I'll be putting funds aside for at least a few months.
      I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Olympus E-500 / Nikon D7000 / Blog / Gallery / Flickr / 500px

OK to edit and repost my photo(s) only in the DPS forums

Comment

Ok, I'm still on the high of having just bought a Panasonic G3. But have you considered a micro four-thirds system and adapting your four-thirds lenses?

The OM-D/E-M5 is definitely a good mid-tier contender, based on the specs, and the one thing I'm really truly reveling in is how with the G3 I can automatically call up and dismiss liveview and 10x magnification in both my viewfinder and on the LCD to manually focus my adapted lenses to a fare-thee-well. And if you want to adapt manual focus lenses? Damn, is mirrorless compact the way to go. Nikon F can only use Nikon F for the most part, without messing with lens mounts. µ4/3, with the right adapter ring, can use just about everybody else's lenses. It's almost like having a universal mount. I got a simple EOS->&micro4/3 adapter, and I can use all the manual lenses I've adapted for Canon by stacking adapters.

I'd also say that I'm happily surprised at the high quality of the glass I've gotten for the camera so far. The 14-42 kit lens is ok, but the 20/1.7 is superb corner-to-corner--far more than I expected of such a short lens, and while it may be software correction, it's still mighty impressive. And my cheap Rokinon 7.5 fisheye is also impressing the hell out of me, being at least (or slightly better) than my Sigma 8mm which cost twice as much.

Obviously, though, if you're shooting a lot of fast action photography, then going the micro four-thirds route is out. While the E-M5 is speced as having a burst rate of 10fps, it's annoying as hell not being able to see what you're doing during burst mode, and while I was shooting some parkour performers in the park was the one time I was wishing for my dSLR gear, instead of the little G3.

I'd also agree that going with a D200/D300/D300s or D90/D7000 are probably your best bets, with used older gear being where the value sweet spot lies.
        I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

Hrm ... The d90 and the d7000 just popped up on my radar. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between the d90 & the d300s (using dpreview's side-by-side comparison tool). Again, video really isn't a huge issue for me, since it's not my primary focus. I think what it's going to come down to is going into the stores and playing with the cameras to see what feels right in my hands; my concern is with the d90 and the d300s being older cameras, I'm not going to be able to find them to play with.
          I've been in a lot of "sink or swim" situations, and I've never seen "sinking" as an option.

Comment

The D90 and D300s use the same imaging system, so you likely wont. The D300s has a 100% viewfinder, higher FPS rate, better build (all metal vs metal/plastic), CF+SD card (instead of SD), better autofocus, and a few other things. The D300s is considered the "pro" DX model, the D90 is the "prosumer" model. Unless you need/want the things listed, you're probably better off with a D90 or, for roughly the same money, a D7000 (newer sensor, similar FPS, better (than the D90) autofocus, better (than the D90) build, 2xSD slots)
            I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
            adammontpetit.com
            Gear List
            500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

I was able to find a floor model D90 in a store tonight, but wasn't able to turn it on to really play with it. I did like the feel of it over the D5000 (which felt really small in my hands - tho the articulating screen was pretty spiffy).

That said, events from tonight have pretty much pushed back my ability to save for a new camera back considerably. :\ At least it gives me more time.

Comment

Aaaand .... in light of a (possible) upcoming trip*, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the D7000. It was either going to be it or the D700, and while I may go full-frame eventually, I think the D7000 will be a good starter-Nikon for me.

I did go ahead and get it with the kit 18-150mm lens, and I'm eyeing the 35mm f/1.8G and the 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for my primes, which should give me *almost* everything I need (the kit lens to keep me covered until I can save up a few extra pennies for the 105mm macro lens - I have an older Sigma 105mm macro lens for my Oly & absolutely love it, so I know that's the route I want to go.

* even if I don't end up going on said road-trip, my Oly is in need of replacement. My MacGuyver fix for the card door (velcro) is starting to fail, and I'm having issues with the contacts on the camera body causing my lenses to not register (and I rarely swap out lenses). With the off-camera flash dead, and all the other issues I've had with it, I'd rather just replace than spend the $$$ on repair - particularly on a 5+ year-old camera I can't (really) get accessories for anymore.

Comment

Of course, now the bad/expensive part: I have to upgrade CS4 ....

Comment

You've made a good decision. The D7000 is a good unit. Good luck.
                    Nikon 1 V3 w/ 10-30 & 30-110mm kits, 18.5mm, 6.7-13mm ultra-wide, Nikon SB-N7 Speedlight
                    Nikon D600 w/ Nikon MB D14 Bat Grip, NIKKOR: 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, Micro 105mm f/2.8G, 70-200mm f/4G, 16-35mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikon TC-20E II Teleconverter, Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, Nikon SB-700 & SB-600 Speed Lights

Comment

Originally posted by velvet4269 View Post
                      Of course, now the bad/expensive part: I have to upgrade CS4 ....
                      You can get around/delay the Photoshop tax by using the DNG converter. All the CS versions of Photoshop can always read DNG.

Happy new camera!
                      I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

Originally posted by inkista View Post
                        You can get around/delay the Photoshop tax by using the DNG converter. All the CS versions of Photoshop can always read DNG.

Happy new camera!
                        You could also take this opportunity to learn Lightroom. I had tried it twice before I was forced into an upgrade by a new camera purchase. Once I was more or less forced into using it, it was much easier to adapt my PP mindset to a Lightroom workflow. I'm now much more productive and quite happy I made the switch.
                        [ԯ] marcus
                        photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Comment

I've tried Lightroom, and hated it. I also use PS for more than just a quick conversion, and have used it for *years*. I do have Elements installed (came with my Wacom Bamboo), but I don't really like it much, either. I guess I'm old-fashioned & stuck in my ways I'm eyeing the DNG converter, so I'll likely go that route for now (read: until I get annoyed with it).

And now my next question is: Nikon 105mm macro lens, or Sigma 105mm macro lens?

Comment

I would look at the D3200 which is listed as an entry level but has some great features that even the D7000 does not have. the only drawback is you need lenses with a silent wave motor in them. The body does not have a focusing motor. If you have the funds a D7000 seems to be the camera of choice for most hobbyists but almost twice the cost of a D3200
                            Nikon D7100,D90 ,Tamron 28-75 F2.8,Tamron 70-300 4.5-5.6, Nikon Primes 35mm,50mm,85mm F1.8 and numerous speedlights of all brands and kinds

Comment

I've tried Lightroom, and hated it. I also use PS for more than just a quick conversion, and have used it for *years*. I do have Elements installed (came with my Wacom Bamboo), but I don't really like it much, either. I guess I'm old-fashioned & stuck in my ways I'm eyeing the DNG converter, so I'll likely go that route for now (read: until I get annoyed with it).
                              You really only use LR to convert from RAW to jpg (applying RAW editing): any pixel-level editing you need, just export from LR as a tiff and open in PS, edit, then save either as TIFF or JPG. You'd use it the same way you did ACR in Photoshop; just a slightly longer middle step to get it from RAW to pixel-level editing.

And now my next question is: Nikon 105mm macro lens, or Sigma 105mm macro lens?
                              If you have the money? The Nikon.
                              I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
                              adammontpetit.com
                              Gear List
                              500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

Working...
                              X