Nikon D90 vs D5100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D90 vs D5100

I had been planning on buying the D90 body as an upgrade from the D60 I currently have. Now that the D5100 has been announced I'm not sure hwich way to go. What do you think? I'm not a beginner, but not a pro either, sort of in the middle.
    Ed Bickford

Flickr

The D5100 is going to be more of a sideways step from your D60- new imaging sensor and processor and all, but the same ergonomics. No built-in screw motor, top LCD, etc. If those things didn't bother you with the D60 and you really want the swivel screen then the D5100 is the way to go. (It also has a newer sensor/processor than the D90 which had the same internals as the D5000).
    Almond Butterscotch
    The Almond Tree
    Facebook Page
    My Equipment

Comment

Agreed. The "upgrade" would actually be the D7000
      I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
      adammontpetit.com
      Gear List
      500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

I agree with the others. Go for the D90 or if your budget will stretch that far the D7000
        Nikon D7000 with 50mm f1.8 prime and 18-1055mm VR with 55-200 mm Nikkor Zoom len's

Comment

I'm agree with you too!. This cam have good quality have a menu with a good number of options but keeping the simplicity and also have good lens.

At least that is the opinions of some friends of mine, you could read it with more details here.

Comment

a D90 is CERTAINLY an upgrade to a little old D60
            you should get a D90 pretty cheap now that the D7000 is around.

I would NOT consider a D5100
            it doesn't have built in CLS,
            lacks the dual control dials,
            does not support HighSpeedSync, (so you're limited to 1/200th with flash photography)
            does not have a built in focus motor like the D90 does., the menu based system of changing settings is painfully slow.

however, with the D90 you will get pretty crummy video in comparison to the D5100
            but if you're buying a DSLR to use it as a video camera. /facepalm

the D7000 would be a small step up from a D90..
            I wouldn't waste my money on a D7000 when taking into acount the D90's functionality.. (personally)

SURE, the D5100 has newer "internals"... but it isn't always all about the processor.
            the functionality of the D90 superseeds the D5100 by a long way for an actual photographer
            Last edited by candleman; 04-26-2011, 11:33 PM.
            http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
            D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Comment

Originally posted by EdBickfordCPA View Post
              I had been planning on buying the D90 body as an upgrade from the D60 I currently have. Now that the D5100 has been announced I'm not sure hwich way to go. What do you think? I'm not a beginner, but not a pro either, sort of in the middle.
              I would rather ask myself: "Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000?"
              Flickr
              Blogger

Comment

Same situation...Solved for me

I was in the same spot, upgrading from a D50, and finally chose the D90 yesterday after talking to my local vendor (Lozeau in Montreal). They talked me into the D90 for compatibilty with the lenses I already own. With the D5100, II would have had to upgrade most of my lenses to AF-S otherwise, no autofocus!
                When a vendor convice you of buying a camera that cost less then the one you originaly wanted, you know it's a good one.
                I will miss the swivel LCD, but that's a small price to pay.
                BTW, I just love the new toy !!!
                Marc B. equipped with:
                Nikon D50 and D90, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 70-300, Nikkor 55-200VR, Nikkor 50 1.8, SB700 (2), Vivitar 4000 and a bunch of knick-knacks.
                Still learning...

Comment

The D-90 is a more capable body IF you do most of your shooting in RAW and PP in your computer. The D-90 lets you use more lenses. If you shoot video with your dslr then the D-5100 is better. But imho, the D-90 is a photographers camera and the D-5100 is a multimedia tool.

Jim
                  Nikon D40, D90, Fuji Finepix S5100, Mamiya RB67,

Comment

I agree.
                    The D90 is just plainly a model above the D5100. To me the biggest reason for the change is the in-body AF servo in the D90. That mode itself will save you hundreds in lens choices over the next few years. Stuff like the brilliant 50mm Af will be available for you to pick from, if you buy the D90.
                    Nikon D3100, Nikkor 18-55 AF-S, Vivitar 80-200, Nikon 50mm f1.8 MF "pancake", Nikkor 55-200 AF-S

Jamie M.

Comment

Hi Everyone
                      I'm new to This forum
                      it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in
                      . My Camera ,

Comment

Originally posted by EdBickfordCPA View Post
                        i just bought the d5000 which gives basically the same image quality(just what i read up on before i made my desicion) as the d90 but the d90 gives you better control iso wb etc. i bought the d5000 499 with 18-55 and 55-200 lens which is reasonable. is the extra cash worth the move 2 the d90 not for me it wasnt(had low budget) but maybe the extra cash could gotwards a faster lens. just my input. overall im happy with the d5000 its a great camera. sort of a mixture of the d60 and d90.

Comment

Originally posted by kathieabilenedarling View Post
                          Hi Everyone
                          I'm new to This forum
                          it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in
                          Sure! Glad to have you. Jump right in and make yourself comfortable.

Jim
                          Nikon D40, D90, Fuji Finepix S5100, Mamiya RB67,

Comment

I have a D5000 and a D90...the D5000 it's really affordable I bought mine for $350 and produces the same images as the D90 as far as I can tell. D90 will speed things up a little with its top LCD, more menu controls, more buttons for instant access like ISO, QUALITY, etc. etc.but in terms of shooting pictures, D5000 is really a good deal. The D5100 has better sensor and video but I don't think it's worth that extra $500, unless you shoot lots of video. Like others have mentioned D90 allows you to get lens with no built in autofocus motor.

I got my D90 for about $500 so I think you should go with D90 and use that extra $300 to get yourself some primes

Comment

Originally posted by richardrash View Post
                              [The D5000] produces the same images as the D90 as far as I can tell
                              Yes- they have the same sensor. The OP is asking about the D5100 and D90, though.
                              Almond Butterscotch
                              The Almond Tree
                              Facebook Page
                              My Equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X