Problems with Nikon D90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Nikon D90

I purchased a D90 for Christmas of 2008 and after a few months I kept getting error messages and the shutter won't release when pressed so I sent it back to Nikon and after about 6 weeks I finially got it back and it was working fine until about a month ago and it started having problems again. I kept trying to push the shutter but it wouldn't press and when I let it go it would then press like it was getting stuck, now the error messages are back again and the only way I can get rid of them is to take out the battery.

My question is, is anyone else having issues with their D90? Don't you think that Nikon should be responsible for fixing this problem even though it is out of warrenty since it was already a problem that was suppose to be fixed? Do you think I just got a lemon of a camera? This is just very frustrating to keep having issues with this camera

Opinions please?

SOme lenses have issues with the contacts between the lens and body. What lens are you using, and have you tried others?
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

try cleaning the lens contacts, on the lens and the camera with a pencil eraser. also check your mount, I've heard that the plastic mount can crack/break on occasion causing issues with the cpu contacts. (Nikon sells a replacement mount you can replace yourself, (easyness)).

Comment

I'm not sure what the lens would have to do with the shutter release button but I have changed lenes and it is still not working right? I know it is the shutter because it is the same thing that happened to it before and Nikon already fixed it once.

Comment

when you say they fixed it.. do you mean they replaced the shutter release button beacuse it was sticky?

what did they actually fix last time?
          http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
          D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

Comment

They said they repaired it, I don't know exactly what it was but when I was waiting to get it back they said they had to order a part? I don't know what the part was but that is what they told me. On the paper work it just has a repair number on it. A camera repair place around me said the minimal they would charge to even look at it is $150 and go from there. I just feel like I got a lemon or something and think Nikon should at least fix it. I know it doesn't have a lot of click on it because I don't really use it that much, I don't know how to check it but it shouldn't be more than maybe a couple/few thousand, I mean like under 5K and this is the second time it needs fixed.

Comment

It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with dSLR cameras.

They can be pretty complex from a users stand point. No doubt, being they are mass produced consumer electronics they sometimes don't work as intended and need to be repaired or replaced. That's why they come with warranties.

Frequently, I help local camera users that are having a problem. Nine times out of 10 the problem is user expectations beyond the cameras capabilites or outright user error and we re-set the menu option involved or I explain a bit about how the camera really works.

Your description of your issues is not very specific about things that could effect shutter release like the image not yet being in focus, one of the miriad menu settings. Focus can be impacted by several factors that are mention and described in the D90 users manual, as an example.

Nikon will certainly be happpy to fix any of their equipment that is still in the warranty period and not functioning normally.

Of course on inspection, if they detect impact damage or abuse the warranty no longer applies.
              Last edited by nokiN; 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM.
              Keith Harrod | Image Works
              Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Topaz Labs Vivitar Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western Digital

Comment

I am certainly not a pro by any means but I do know when a shutter doesn't press correctly and there are error messages flashing on the display. The only way to even get the camera to do anything is to take the battery out of it. I reset the camera as instructed by Nikon and nothing, the same as the last time. I never said anything about focus, yes the pictures may be out of focus because the shutter didn't release when pressed but that would be understandable.

Comment

Instead of taking out the battery try removing/resetting the lens. Might be a contact issue...
                  Steve
                  the Photographic Academy.com
                  SharpShooter Industries
                  My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by justlearning View Post
                    I am certainly not a pro by any means but I do know when a shutter doesn't press correctly and there are error messages flashing on the display. The only way to even get the camera to do anything is to take the battery out of it. I reset the camera as instructed by Nikon and nothing, the same as the last time. I never said anything about focus, yes the pictures may be out of focus because the shutter didn't release when pressed but that would be understandable.
                    Your description is still to short on camera settings details, and what error messages you are getting, for anyone out here to diagnose what is wrong with your camera.

So proceed on the assumption it needs to be repaired. You don't have to send it to Nikon for repair since it's no longer in warranty.

A well respected used camera seller, Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras – Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com, offers repair services as does several Nikon authorized repair stations: Nikon Authorized Repair List

I hope you get your situation worked out.
                    Keith Harrod | Image Works
                    Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Topaz Labs Vivitar Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western Digital

Comment

Same Problem

I am a little more experienced with DSLRs from what I can tell and I just recently started having the same problem with the shutter release, although Im not getting any error codes.
                      I purchased my refurbed D90 about 5 months ago and havent had any issues with it til about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The shutter release button will have a delay or just not release about 2 out of 8 presses. I have tested it to check different things and this is what I have found...
                      1. It will happen with all 5 lenses that I own, so it is not lens specific.
                      2. I have made sure that the lens is focused and have had it happen.
                      3. I have put it in manual focus, had it on a tripod so the focus doesnt change and it will not release apon being pressed on average 2 out of 10 times, but it can happen once or 3-4 times consecutively.
                      4. I have changed many of the menu settings and nothing seems to affect or fix it.

If anyone knows anything about this please chime in, since it is a refurb the warranty was only a 3 month warranty I believe, I have to double check, but Im pretty sure it is up, so sending it to Nikon wont be cheap and I have been holding off. It is more of an annoyance than anything since it doesnt do it all the time, but I have definately missed some good shots because of it not releasing when pressed. I guess Im going to call Nikon and see what my options are. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Comment

Some of the same issues

I have the same issues with my D90 and cleaning the contacts seemed to help. However, I now question the focus on my camera---seems like the images are blurry...but maybe it's just me learning the right settings??

Comment

Working...
                        X