A Gift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gift

Took this one during a recent maternity shoot.

Does it look over-sharpened?

Any other critiques & comments are always welcome!

Nikon D90
    f/3.2
    1/160

PS - Trying out the Flickr "Guest Pass" thing - I didn't want this photo to appear in my photostream but I wanted to link to the full sized image. Hopefully you all can see this? A Gift - Guest Pass
    Last edited by katia; 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM.
    www.katiagphoto.com/
    Katia G Photo on Facebook

no such thing as too sharp!!

well there is but I'm a fan of upping the sharpness, contrast, and saturation on most photos I do.

I like the photo.
    All Photos Taken With NikonD5100 & 35mm Prime. Love The Challenge!

PhotosbyKyle.ca

Check Out My Instagram!

Comment

It looks ok on my monitor and I do like the photograph.
      Flickr stream.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/34094515@N00/

Comment

Wow, that gift/present is so out of place with the old wood of the bridge that the brighter colour and the possible oversharpening really enhanced the whole effect.
        I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here but I love it!
        LISA
        Canon EOS 600D, 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-250 mm kit lens for the flash stuff.
        Olympus Tough 8010, waterproof, shockproof compact P&S - great for the kids.

Flickr

Comment

At this size (which is a little larger than forum rules allow) I can't see any issues with the image...
          Looks like selective color done by pulling down the saturation by individual color channels. It doesn't bother me but I'm not sure it helps either.

I guess I just don't "get it." Why is it on the footbridge? I could kind of see a story if it was way at the far end of the bridge... As it is, to me it just seems out of place and leaves me wondering what the point is.
          Steve
          the Photographic Academy.com
          SharpShooter Industries
          My 500px, My Flickr, My Blog

Comment

Whoops!! Sorry about that, I uploaded to Photobucket this time instead of Flickr and forgot about the size difference between the two. I will try and fix it.

The weird thing about this photo (and the thing that made me sorta drawn to it when I uploaded) - that's just how the day was. No selective coloring at all. In fact I didn't do a whole lot of processing to this image.

As for the "why?" I don't know! The couple who I was doing the shoot for actually came up with this idea. They placed it there and thought it would be cute, with the mocassins that an old relative made for the new baby-to-be! I kind of like it though, I guess you could look at it as they're soon going to be stepping into their new life; their little "gift from God" (if you believe in that). Personally I believe babies come from fornicating but I digress.

Is it against the rules if I post another version of this photo? I have a "warm" version (as this one is very on the cool side) and I'm not sure which I like better. The cool version definitely has more mysterious tones to it.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments and feedback!

Sidenote; incoming rant....

Why can't DPS just get rid of the useless, dead space on either side of the forum and allow images of at least 800 pixels wide!? OR why don't they just install the vBulletin plugin that automatically scales images down to the forum width, with an option of clicking a little bar up top that takes the viewer to the full sized image? 99% of images posted here are hosted and hotlinked from elsewhere so it's not like they're worried about bandwidth?

/rant
            Last edited by katia; 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM.
            www.katiagphoto.com/

Comment

Also, sk66, I'm glad you replied, because I believe it was you who mentioned sharpening in LAB yesterday. This is my first attempt at LAB sharpening! And I must say, I quite like it, I've tried it on a few photos of my snakes and it works really well. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it, though.
              www.katiagphoto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by katia View Post
                Also, sk66, I'm glad you replied, because I believe it was you who mentioned sharpening in LAB yesterday. This is my first attempt at LAB sharpening! And I must say, I quite like it, I've tried it on a few photos of my snakes and it works really well. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it, though.
                You can usually get away with more sharpening in LAB mode than you can otherwise. Glad it's working for you.
                Steve
                SharpShooter Industries

Comment

Here is the warmer version. Definitely doesn't have that selective coloring look to it. Can't decide which I prefer:

View in high-res here
                  www.katiagphoto.com/

Comment

Anybody care to let me know which one they prefer? The first (cool) or the second (warm) version?
                    www.katiagphoto.com/

Comment

Of the two I prefer the first... the colors just look more saturated.
                      Steve
                      SharpShooter Industries

Comment

I like the cool, its pops out more to me and is a strong Image.
                        Serve no master but your own ambition

Comment

looks nice
                          Joy

My gear
                          http://500px.com/jpodimattam

Comment

I prefer the "Cool" one. Since the wrapping paper has snowflakes on it, makes me think winter. Plus, the warmed-up one looks very tungsten/indoor lighting to me, which doesn't make sense with the wooden bridge.

To answer your question in the OP, it looks perfectly sharp to me and is very high quality. I'm not a fan of selective coloring, but this is just on the right side of it for me. I probably wouldn't choose it myself but I suspect your clients are very happy with it.

Cheers...

Comment

Working...
                            X