on the edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on the edge

this is a "studio" macro; I've placed flash really low and near, to obtain hard and directional shadow; I'm new in strobist, so my question is about right use of the light source

on the edge di lever63, su Flickr
    Canon 550D
    tamron 90mm macro
    F11
    T 1/160
    llash off camera (YN 560II)
    Last edited by lever63; 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM.
    a camera, some lenses, other stuff
    ---
    Please comment my shots not my english!

Well, you used one light source which put the entire back of the bug in a shadow. A simple sheet of white paper placed behind the rock might be enough to reflect some of that strobe light back on the bug.

flickr
    - - Nikon D3S & D300; Nikkor 28-300mm AF-S f/1:3.5-5.6G VR, 50mm f/1.4D, 105mm f/2.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, 300mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR IF, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, Nikon AF-STC-20Eii 2.0x Teleconverter and 2 SB-900s with reflectors, light stands, LumiQuest Softbox iii, & umbrellas.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader View Post
      Well, you used one light source which put the entire back of the bug in a shadow. A simple sheet of white paper placed behind the rock might be enough to reflect some of that strobe light back on the bug.
      thank you, for comment and advice; my idea was to obtain a sunset effect; I've tried with a homemade reflector behind the wood (yes, it's a piece of wood), but I see it was too far from the subject; now I'm waiting for next ladybug...
      ---

Comment

Originally posted by lever63 View Post
        thank you, for comment and advice; my idea was to obtain a sunset effect; I've tried with a homemade reflector behind the wood (yes, it's a piece of wood), but I see it was too far from the subject; now I'm waiting for next ladybug...
        If you are going for a "sun setting" effect you may want to try using a Yellow Gel or bounce the strobe off a Gold reflector to get that golden glow we get as the sun does set. Just a thought.

flickr
        - - Nikon D3S & D300; Nikkor 28-300mm AF-S f/1:3.5-5.6G VR, 50mm f/1.4D, 105mm f/2.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, 300mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR IF, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, Nikon AF-STC-20Eii 2.0x Teleconverter and 2 SB-900s with reflectors, light stands, LumiQuest Softbox iii, & umbrellas.

Comment

Thanks a lot, yellow gel is a great advice! but it's hard shot a brisk bug with still life technique..
          ---

Comment

great shot!

Comment

thank you!
              ---

Comment

Working...