Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Trails

Hi,

This is my 1st attempt at long exposures. I am pretty happy with it but any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Name:  f047a8ff0a3d7ca2cd76a903c0852dc9.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  180.7 KB

Thanks

Exif

Sorry forgot the exif

Camera Nikon D50
    Exposure 25
    Aperture f/22.0
    Focal Length 19 mm
    Focal Length 19.4 mm
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Flash No Flash
    ISO Speed 400

Comment

The street light in the middle draws your attention away from the trails, the large light in the middle is so close that its overpowering and blown out. If you look at the other street lights down the road these are still the same but as they are not as large and central they are less distracting and add to the picture.Great 1st effort
      Canon 650d EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
      Flickr

Comment

I disagree with the above. I think the only thing that's overblown is the road, and that could have been handled with a decent circular polarizer (the road was wet). I do think that shooting at f/16 would have given you a better star effect as well as better sharpness overall. Most lenses don't perform that well stopped down that far. f/16 is usually my outer limit. Otherwise, I like your composition and leading lines. Oh, and some boost in contrast would have helped, but that's easily fixed. This is not a bad photograph at all.
        Landscape Photography Portfolio
        Flickr

I like to take pictures of places you've never seen.

Comment

I can't get past that huge distraction in the middle of your shot. It dominates the image. I would have bracketed my shots in RAW and tried to use a layer mask to hopefully tone down that light.

I would not use an aperture smaller than around f/13 or f/16, or else you can start getting diffraction.
          GREG - Canon 60D with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
          flickr
          flickriver
          My 500px
          "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

Comment

I dig the bush in the lower left corner: it looks like a woman's face looking up at the star. I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

The street light in the middle draws your attention away from the trails . Great
              Have fun with KiziStar today .

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. Some really usefull stuff amongst the responses to help me improve.

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

With night street scenes, if I can I try to shoot from right by the lightpost if it does not affect your composition and your angle is not so wide that the light brightens the foreground too much. This way I'm as far away as possible from the next street light and it doesn't overpower.

This is a general rule though. Composition still comes first.

22NorthPhotography

Comment

Working...
                  X