Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Horse Point made vivid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dead Horse Point made vivid

    I found an edit in PSE9 called saturated slide film effect. I am wondering if it is overdone, maybe too vivid. One thing I do like is how "crisp" it makes the picture look.

    I am also open for any other critique and/or suggestions you might like to put out there. BTW, I know I am lacking a "subject", but I was hoping the scene itself would be sufficient.

    Dead Horse Point

    Here is the link to the original out of camera photo, to compare.

    http://flic.kr/p/bkbxXY

    Data --
    Canon T2i
    f/16
    1/30 sec
    ISO 250
    18mm focal length

    I am still (and always) learning, so thank you in advance for your responses.
    Last edited by Mocha; 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM.
    Mocha
    Still and always learning.
    Canon T2i, 18-55, 55-250, 70-300, Circular Polarizer, Extension Tubes, Speedlite 430 EXII

  • #2
    The link you provided doesn't seem to work. :-(
    Miyla
    BeginnerPhotographersInformation.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I, personally, like the effect. Some might say it's "too" sharp, but I like photos that are "crisp". The subject for me is the scene itself with the river giving special interest.
      Greg
      one can be a novice forever, if the only advice taken is from one's own voice.
      Online Flickr
      Canon T3
      EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 II

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Miyla Photos View Post
        The link you provided doesn't seem to work. :-(
        I went back to check everything after I posted and found out the same thing. I have changed the link. Please try again.

        Thanks for looking!
        Mocha
        Still and always learning.
        Canon T2i, 18-55, 55-250, 70-300, Circular Polarizer, Extension Tubes, Speedlite 430 EXII

        Comment


        • #5
          I like the after photo much better than the before. I like the brighter colors. I think they create more interest. I thought the before photo looked dull and lacked interest. I also like the crispness of the after photo. The color of the river snaking through the scene also provides contrast and attracts the eye.
          Miyla
          BeginnerPhotographersInformation.com

          Comment


          • #6
            I like the second one better as well, it is not overdone in my opinion. The effect adds much needed texture to the photo, which I think lends itself to the canyon being the subject. The composition is nice as well, especially the ridge closest to us that points toward the river, it leads the eye right to it.
            Thanks
            Matthew 19:26
            Canon T2i, 18-55 IS II, 50mm 1.8, LR3, PS6
            Flickr
            Google+

            Comment


            • #7
              I too like the after photo better.

              Comment


              • #8
                The "After Photo" is my favorite too. A beautiful scene. The first one looked a little hazy, lower contrast, & color.
                It's cool you mentioned it has been edited. I wish everyone did.

                Unless I'm missing something, the scene is the subject. Every photo is different and the thing called "Focal Point" is cool but, with a photo like this you should be allowed to look at whatever you want to as long as you want to.

                Out of curiosity .... Did you capture this in RAW ? It looks like it to me.

                Nice job .... need to see this place some day.
                CANON REBEL XTi
                PSE 6
                EFS 18 - 135 mm
                50 mm 1:1.8
                70 - 300 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like the edited version better also.

                  I would take out some of the yellow (by adding blue), and add a slight amount of magenta to the color balance.

                  If it can be done without being obvious the sky needs to be a little darker.

                  Just a slight more contrast would be nice also.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Agree with previous comments, it definitely looks better after. However it could do with some more contrast/ up the blacks a bit more
                    photos.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The best tip I can give you regarding the colors is to avoid the midday sun and reshoot in the golden hours. That will avoid the harsh shadows and give you the softer, indirect light.

                      I know there are times when you visit a place and you can't shoot in the golden hours. So, if you have to shoot in the afternoon, try using a circular polarizer. It can produce more vivid colors and reduce glare, depending on your angle relative to the sun.

                      Dead Horse Point State Park
                      GREG - Canon 60D with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
                      flickr
                      flickriver
                      My 500px
                      "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Barry Jackson View Post
                        I would take out some of the yellow (by adding blue), and add a slight amount of magenta to the color balance.

                        If it can be done without being obvious the sky needs to be a little darker.

                        Just a slight more contrast would be nice also.
                        Ran with all your suggestions, and here is what I came up with. I must admit, I like it better. I was able to keep the crispness and eliminate the jaundiced look. Thank you for your help!

                        Dead Horse Point Edit 2

                        Originally posted by FJH View Post
                        Out of curiosity .... Did you capture this in RAW ? It looks like it to me.

                        Nice job .... need to see this place some day.
                        Nope, not shot in Raw. I had done so many bracketed and raw shots prior to this that I was running out of space on my card It is a beautiful part of the country. It isn't far from where I live, so I wouldn't mind going back. Hope you get to see it someday. Be sure not to miss Arches National Park, which is close by. In the mean time, check out the work of Michael Fatali. Absolutely inspiring!

                        Originally posted by Farmer208Photos View Post
                        The effect adds much needed texture to the photo, which I think lends itself to the canyon being the subject. The composition is nice as well, especially the ridge closest to us that points toward the river, it leads the eye right to it.
                        Thanks
                        Originally posted by Miyla Photos View Post
                        The color of the river snaking through the scene also provides contrast and attracts the eye.
                        Thank you Miyla and Farmer for your kind and encouraging words. Still working on that "artistic eye".

                        Originally posted by Krusty79 View Post
                        The best tip I can give you regarding the colors is to avoid the midday sun and reshoot in the golden hours. That will avoid the harsh shadows and give you the softer, indirect light.

                        I know there are times when you visit a place and you can't shoot in the golden hours. So, if you have to shoot in the afternoon, try using a circular polarizer. It can produce more vivid colors and reduce glare, depending on your angle relative to the sun.
                        A "golden hour" evening shot would have been awesome. Still working on sneaky ways to convince the non-photographer (but extremely supportive) husband that we need to be at the right place at the right time! In the mean time, I will have to practice with the circular polarizer.

                        Thank you everybody for taking the time to look and comment. Much appreciated!
                        Mocha
                        Still and always learning.
                        Canon T2i, 18-55, 55-250, 70-300, Circular Polarizer, Extension Tubes, Speedlite 430 EXII

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X