Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - new to this

Hi
    I have lurked about a bit - looked at other eoples work - learned a little - tried it out and now feel brave enough to ask for some critique
    Can someone help me understand how to make this better - give it 'pop' please?
    Better/more effective camera settings?

Nikon D3100
    Focal length 44mm
    f16
    exposure 1/2
    ISO800
    metering mode pattern
    No flash
    Last edited by JackieWilson; 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM. Reason: add exif

sorry
    Nikon D3100
    Focal length 44mm
    f16
    exposure 1/2
    ISO800
    metering mode pattern
    No flash

Comment

I really like this shot...it has a deep warmth to it. I really like the composition but I would clone out the people to keep the focus on the scene.
      Prints available through PI Creative Arts. Represented by FIRSTL*GHT, a Division of Design Pics Inc.
      Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L, Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye
      ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Comment

Originally posted by Roshenk View Post
        I really like this shot...it has a deep warmth to it. I really like the composition but I would clone out the people to keep the focus on the scene.
        Thanks for the feedback nice to know you like it - prob a daft question but how do I do that? (Did I say I was new to this? LOL)
        Jackie

Comment

How's that ? I used photoshop elements and just the clone tool - picked trees and put them over the people. Is that how it's done?
          Jackie

Comment

I'd like to have seen a little more of the bridge on the left, to resolve the arc of the bridge if that's not too high falutin'? And a little less sky, centring the water under the bridge would be okay in a squarish format? F16 was too much, if you'd used F8 you'd have probably blurred the messy trees in the background as well as getting a lower ISO/quicker shutter speed to minimise digital noise.
            Could you have got, physically, lower to take the shot? I agree the people were a distraction.
            Nice shot though!

Comment

I like the textures in this image.

I would like to see a little off the top. Maybe down to the tree line.

The people did need to go.

A little more of the bridge on the left would have been nice if it would not have taken away from the placement of the stream flowing through the frame.

Just a little off the right side.

Try the dodge tool set on highlights to lighten the water just a small amount.

Comment

It's a great picture I agree with barry jackson about the sky and the poeple.
                Always think if the sky is adding anything to the picture... if not then try to recompose and use the extra space you have to add interest to something else or maybe something completely new...
                As far as settings... always try to use the lowest ISO possible to retain the color details... since you have a tripod you lose nothing by shooting at ISO 100 or 400 and just using a longer shutter speed.
                Great start if you area newbie though
                My Galleries
                http://baajero.blogspot.com/
                http://500px.com/baajero/photos

Comment

really good picture to work on

You have a really good shot..

For sure you need to remove the couple of people that distract you.

I would try to add some drama to this picture and turn in black and white. It would bring a lot of mystery to the seen.

For the drama effect I would do it on Lightroom increase clarity and a little bit the black.
                  I would also add some vignetage and strenghen the details a little bit.

nice shot for sure!

http://www.maximpics.com
                  Last edited by maximpics; 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice - had a try at BW How's this now?
                    Thanks again

Comment

Hey Jackie,

Before reading any comments a couple of days ago, I thought about what I wanted to say.

First of all, the same two elements came to mind. The people and a little too much undetailed sky were distractions. You did a great job loosing the people but you left the sky in from what I can see.

Did you know that in most or all photos processed in black & white look better if you increase the exposure a bit and also add some contrast. It looks a bit dark to me and that can add drama.

Personally, I love the colors of the rocks and the combination of colors in the whole scene. Every photographer has some opion for even the best work. If it was mine, I'd crop the top down some and keep the colors or make one color & one b & w. Bottom Line .... make it look the way you love it the most. It's a cool shot.
                      CANON REBEL XTi
                      PSE 6
                      EFS 18 - 135 mm
                      50 mm 1:1.8
                      70 - 300 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

I love the concept and personally I like the color version better. IMHO the water gets lost in the B&W picture. I just don't notice it at all. If you were able to make that stand out a bit more, I would like that picture more.

Compositionally, I'm not sure which item is your center of attention. Is it the bridge or the water? If it is the bridge, then I would have skipped the motion blur of the water. If the center of attention is the water then I would have tried to get more water in the picture (probably by lowering my perspective.) It looks like there is more water to be had just out of the bottom of the photo and that is where I would have gone.

This picture has great potential. Good luck and happy shooting!
                        Canon Rebel XS, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm 1.8, 430EX II, Corel PaintShop Pro X4
                        My Blog | 500px
                        The aim of art is to be seen, to express yourself and to have people, even when they're somewhere else, thinking of your work. - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                        X