This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would you choose? - An example

Welcome to the new "Comparison - Critique" forum. This was requested by about a million people, so, the people ask - the people get.

Here, you can post two photos that you want to choose between, to have people critique and then, finally, (hopefully) help you choose one.

--------------------------------------
    For example...

I have this photo with two different edits and I can't choose. I'm not sure about the green

Green Drive

Bolted Down

What do you like about the shots and which would you choose?

I hope this helps with some of the issues we were running into in the regular critique forums. If anyone has any questions / comments... Feel free to get in touch.

Sime
    www | twitter | facebook

If you're looking for customer service, please use this link, thank you!

I like the green one better. The colors give it a more space agey techy feel to it.

The other one just seems plain?
    -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
    -I'm a vessel of useless information; just ask my wife.

-Critiques and editing of my pics for DPS always welcome-

Comment

I agree with OldWolf. I prefer the green one too as all that green makes it more interesting than the other one.
      My flickr
      "There is so much to learn!!"

Comment

Thanks... this is what "comparisons" is for - anyone else have an opinion?

Sime
        www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Sheep

I would hate to go against my little "Slogan" in my signature - but going to have to be a sheep on this one , I like the green as well ... It makes me look twice ... which is always a good thing right? The second one is well ... umm .. plain... Sorry was not a new angle but I think the lion in me is sleeping today ....
          Tracexx
          Canon EOS 350D (18-55) (70-300)
          ~It is better to be a Lion for one day than a sheep all your life ~

Comment

Another vote for the green. It's more of a photo. The other is just a shot of a drive.

Great new forum section by the way.
            Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr
            Olympus E510 - Ok to edit and re-post on DPS only

Comment

The green version, for sure.

The light space underneath on the grey version distracted me, as I was trying to figure out whether it was a window, or a reflection or what the green stuff in it was... (I figured it out, but it took a second)

Wheras in the green version I'm not interested in the light space, the subject is what catches my attention.
              flickr

Comment

I'm voting green, I love the feel of the photo in green. Very edgy
                Lori Johnson Website
                My Gear
                flickr
                Facebook

Comment

go green

In the second foto the green under that silver looks random + has little connection (colourwise) to the rest of the foto. I do a lot of watercolours + have found that a colour somewhere within the space should make a secondary appearance somewhere else within the space but not necessarily the same tone or shade...

Comment

A contrary opinion... (I shouldn't be surprised).

I like the second photo better. It looks like the first photo, but looks more accurately white balanced and exposed, or perhaps has a better contrast choice. The darker exposure/lower contrast reveals detail from over exposed highlights in the first photo, and this adds to the wonderful depth of field effect with the spindle(?) sharp and detailed, while the circuit board and other bits are nicely blurred - there's no question as to what the subject of the photo is... just not exactly sure what to call it - a spindle? Both have a nice composition with some bits that have implied motion, as if they are reaching out to/around the spindle, but it seems a little more apparent in the second photo somehow.

As to which one is "better", I'd say it depends entirely on which is closer to what you were aiming for with the image.
                    Richard
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/richarddigitalphotos/
                    http://murklandphotography.com

Comment

Right then, So, after a day of replies - I guess you guys all get the idea of what this forum is all about.

Thanks for your feedback..

Regards as ever,
                      Sime
                      www | twitter | facebook

Comment

And on that note, I totally disagree. I think the green one looks abstract and processed. I like the clean colors and sharp reflections of the PCB in the background, with the spindle a floating like a UFO in an otherwise featureless black sky.

Disclaimer: I'm a computer nerd. That probably affects my bias....

But Mom, Pentax IS rebellious
                        Pentax K-7, K20D
                        Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL -- Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7 -- Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED -- Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG IF Aspherical -- Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR

Comment

Both are good, depends on what you will do with this photo, as art/illustration or commercial sales. Whose eye do you want to catch?

Comment

:-) Noones, not with this photo ... it was a 10 second Lightroom slider / export to use as an example for this new forum.

But thanks for stopping by. Appreciated.

Sime
                            www | twitter | facebook

Comment

Three cheers for you and all the creators, mods etc at DPS - This new forum section is an absolute winner for me!!! Loving it ! Really I am - think it is very helpful and it's great to compare with something when trying to crit .... ha ha ha with my years of photography knowledge (NOT)...

So just wanted to pop in a note to say Thanks, you guys are awesome and keep up the good work - I appreciate it - as I am sure all DPS users do!

You all Rock!
                              Tracexx
                              Canon EOS 350D (18-55) (70-300)
                              ~It is better to be a Lion for one day than a sheep all your life ~

Comment

Working...
                              X