Close
Close
    thatgirlt0nii is offline I'm new here!

Talking Seeking constructive criticism!

Good afternoon all,
    My name is Alisha and I would like to introduce myself! I suppose I would be officially "categorized" as an amateur photographer, but I would love to work my way up to being a professional. I fully understand that the market for photography is more saturated now than it has ever been, but photography is something I've enjoyed doing my entire life. I've been told that I have a good eye for photography, I just need to train my eye.

I believe my style is more lifestyle/commercial/advertising/editorial/landscape.....aside from the fact that I also enjoy wedding photography. Is that too many styles? Should I narrow down my expertise to make myself more marketable? Are there any photographers in any of those fields on here? Would you mind viewing some of my work on my tumblr page and giving me some constructive criticism?! Pretty please! Even if you're not in those fields, would you mind taking a look?

I'm currently shooting with a Canon 60D and a 18-135 IS Lens by the way. But the work on my tumblr is a mixture of my DSLR and iPhone.

Thank you in advance for your time.

ajax_andy is offline dPS +1000 Club

I don't see anything there just yet that says to me you are ready to be making money from photography, but the first step on that ladder IMO is asking for critique... Too many people think they are great when in fact they are just yet another person with a camera, but those who look for peer review (and listen) become the better photographers

So firstly what do you want to make money from? Your portfolio is quite non descript in regards its not pin pointed a particular genre IMO. Personally I focused on people from that start and worked out what sub categories of 'people photography' I loved and worked VERY hard on becoming good in those areas (portrait & weddings). I don't see that focus in your work and think that's your next step... Look at magazines and websites and think 'I want to take that shot' and then work on the skills it takes to replicate what makes it work so well for the published photographer.

The critique section is wonderful for getting feedback from highly competent photographers who can help you improved on all aspects of your shots so
    start posting in there with your best shots... And remember even it's hard to take their advice will always be helpful and make you improve and learn new skills and tricks

Hope that helps

thatgirlt0nii is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by ajax_andy View Post
    I don't see anything there just yet that says to me you are ready to be making money from photography, but the first step on that ladder IMO is asking for critique... Too many people think they are great when in fact they are just yet another person with a camera, but those who look for peer review (and listen) become the better photographers

So firstly what do you want to make money from? Your portfolio is quite non descript in regards its not pin pointed a particular genre IMO. Personally I focused on people from that start and worked out what sub categories of 'people photography' I loved and worked VERY hard on becoming good in those areas (portrait & weddings). I don't see that focus in your work and think that's your next step... Look at magazines and websites and think 'I want to take that shot' and then work on the skills it takes to replicate what makes it work so well for the published photographer.

The critique section is wonderful for getting feedback from highly competent photographers who can help you improved on all aspects of your shots so
    start posting in there with your best shots... And remember even it's hard to take their advice will always be helpful and make you improve and learn new skills and tricks

Hope that helps
    Thanks ajax_andy for responding! I'm completely open constructive criticism because I know that I need it and there is a lot of fine tuning I need to do.

What do I want to make money from? I'm not sure. At the moment I just LOVE taking pictures of whatever catches my eye. Could be a building, a ray of light, the sunset, the food I'm eating....literally just about anything. I like some portraits but not your typical Olan Mills type picture. I like weird angles, different point of views. I've thought about bogging myself down to one type of photography, but I can't seem to stick to just one. Guess I need to find the common denominator.

I will start trying to replicate the pictures that I admire, thanks for the advice. I will also visit the critique section. This is my first time on the forum so I didn't know there was one!

Thanks again!

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Quote Originally Posted by ajax_andy View Post
    This advice is so true - also, definitely keep taking pictures as much as you can. You'll get there with persistence. It'll take a goo few years (it does for us all!) but good things come to those who wait!

Essy is offline dPS Forum Member

Actually, I like your pictures and do think you have a good eye. Keep it up...and have fun!
    Essy D Photo

facebook

Canon XS with 18-55 kit

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

I am a hobbyist and just started learning so cannot really advise you on how to become a pro, but still would advise you to get the basics right. You should have the confidence that you can frame properly, choose the correct aperture / ISO / shutter speed for the look that you want to achieve, and also know how much processing to do.

I like some of your pictures, they are interesting. E.g. I liked the one focused on a player's helmet with the other player leading the eye into the field. A few others are over processed for my taste.

I feel you have an eye for the unusual. Keep shooting and you will get a feel for what style you really enjoy.
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

Jim Bryant is online now Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

You do have some very nice images. Don't worry about making money at this time, just do out and take pretty pictures.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Megaset photography is offline Wedding photographer

I agree on many things that ajax_andy said, but please don't get discouraged. Keep shooting and learning. I have been doing this professionally for almost 5 years and I still get criticism. You can't please all but some one will like it and will hire you. My advice: if you are looking to earn money with photography I would recommend upgrading to better equipment (lenses at least). Fast lenses such as f/1.2 and 1.4 will give you more options for creativity. I am personally not a big fan of hdr look of the photos but its good to see that you know how to work in post. Remember, everyone has amazing cameras these days and a lot of photographers have the same equipment (if not better), don't rely on your camera to do miracles for you... Processing your photos in post is how you create your brand (because you already have an eye for it). Learn about rules: rule of thirds, lines, parallel lines and arches, symmetry and patterns, and etc. Presentation and MARKETING!!! Good-luck!
    Last edited by Megaset photography; 01-14-2013 at 12:00 AM.