Close
Close
    metric_photography is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Grabbing pics from Archive

Three years ago, I did a maternity shoot for a woman and her boyfriend/ father of baby. Over the holidays, the woman emailed me saying that she lost all of the images that I did for her during the maternity shoot. She said that the boyfriend transferred her computer files to his laptop and now they are no longer together (and I assume it's not amicable). She wanted to know how much it would be to get a disk of images again.

My question to you is-- how much do I charge to get the images from my archive, burn them to disk and then mail them out to her? I charged her less than $100 when I took the images but that was when I was still new. The boyfriend was the one who paid me. What should I charge her?

Any advice is appreciated.

PS She only wants the pics of her and her belly, and none of the boyfriend

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

My opinion without knowing the photography business.

Facts. You charged $100 the first time, and now she wants only part of that set excluding the boyfriend. You charged a low amount as you were new.Nothing has been added to the photos since even if you are better now. Also, you would would be delivering a smaller qty of photos.

So... At the very least, a discount on the $100 would be in order in proportion with the reduced amount of photos.

If all you have to do is burn them to a disk again, the best thing would be to give her the photos for free. It would be a great gesture and she will be very grateful at a time when she is probably going through. She may even recommend you to others, and it would add to your reputation to be considered a nice person as well as a good photographer. Karma has a way of coming back and spreading joy is a great investment.

Just sayin...
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

+1 what Zafar said.

I've done this a few times. It's a nice gesture, and she will gush to her friends what a nice person you are. If she insists on paying something, then whatever the price of the disc is, and a small charge per image might be appropriate.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

An addition. You can charge for shipping, the photos will be a great present for her and she would be happy to pay the shipping. The money would not be coming to you and your karma will still have a halo
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/