Close
Close

Thread: Route Paths

KiranPatelphotography is offline Young Photographer

Exclamation Route Paths

May covered this question before..
    ..however, I had a "Career" assembly about choosing your route to your job. They mentioned 3 stages:
    -Where are you now?
    -Where do you want to do?
    -Where will you be in 10 Years time?

Answer 1: I am practicing my photography skills, getting interactive with online "tuition" from this website (thanks by the way!), and ready to choose photography as a British GCSE option study.
    Answer 2 I want to part-time get little income such as selling stock, whilst doing a BTEC for a qualification for my full time job.
    Answer 3: I want to be selling my photography on websites or in my local area, and/or working in a studio (depends on my skills).

Now, I know how earning in Photography these days are hard as Digital compact Cameras have become popular word-wide..so i need advice to get the best possible outcome!

What I'm asking from you:

1) Tips on how to sell Photography (Have read the forum "So you want to sell your photography?" Already.)
    2) How to get better at portraits
    3) What is the best route (Please note i am in England so it will probably be different) to become a photographer and help me most: BTEC's (certain types of qualification, should take if interested in a particular industry or sector, allows people to equip you with skills what employers are looking for..), Apprenticeships (I think like scholarships), A-Level's (Exams), Or Diploma's.

THANK YOU for taking the time to read this and help me, will mean a LOT!
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
    See my Flickr for more of my work.

Biomech is offline World Commended

My advice - forget everything they tell you at those things. Unless you have some epic career that you want (like being a doctor or solicitor) it doesn't work like that. I'm.......... older... and I still don't know what I want to do. You know we had a careers fair at school once, around your age - I was pitching to become a hairdresser?!?!?! wtf?!? I started working with vegetables, spent some time in the forces and the rest of the time it's been something tech related.

There's 2 ways to win at photography;

1. Been a rich kid who knows the right people and gets all the breaks
    2. Experience

I know ... in fact most of the people I've spoken to who have done photography as some form of education - degrees etc - don't actually know much about photography at all, it's mostly cultural stuff and art history etc.

I, personally, would say work hard at everything Work towards a proper job :P and work on photography at the same time. Maybe take media studies at A Level. I really wouldn't advise focusing solely on photography, because if you get to degree level and then decide you can't be assed - then you have nothing at all to fall back on.

To sell photography you need to have a USP - Unique Selling Point - ideally something no one else does, something that makes you stand out from the rest.

For what it's worth, I never paid attention in school, everything I know is self taught. I did ok at GCSE, went on to do A Level Psychology, Biology and Art. Dropped Art because it was boring, spent all my time in the IT department, got epically bad grades (one was a U, never heard of that before lol). And I never went to Uni.

Yet, I've been a very succesful salesman (best in the country ), won numerous photography competitions, got a world commendation and started my own company which is doing well.

In my experience, you're either on your own or you get it handed to you on a plate. :P
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Biomech is offline World Commended

Oh and my biggest pro tip ever ever ever;

Fxcking write properly (you're doing well). When I see a CV/Resume and peepl typ lyk dis etc etc, It goes straight in the bin.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

KiranPatelphotography is offline Young Photographer

Cool Thankyou

Thank you so much for the advice. So you are trying to say to study other things as well because the chances are that I will not have photography as a full-time occupation? I will Definitley think About this, and I was planning to have backup subjects that still enable to do what I love- Media. Wether that is IT or a Technical study, if becoming a photographer doesn't work out I still have something to work back on which I still love doing.

Some well-payed "Proper" jobs could hardly be with in my areas...I am currently working at a grade C GCSE in English, grade C in Science and grade B in Maths, and I still have two years ahead of me to improve until my exams.

So I think My "future" will depend on my choices wether they're right or wrong.

Adding onto your own company, do you mind me asking how you got there? Can you tell me some tips on how to make it succeed, how you have won those awards etc.?

Thank you once again for helping me

P.S There is a language, it is called English: either type and say it properly or don't use it at all. Though, the occasional mistakes or "LOL" are fine.
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
    See my Flickr for more of my work.

tsy72001 is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KiranPatelphotography View Post

P.S There is a language, it is called English: either type and say it properly or don't use it at all. Though, the occasional mistakes or "LOL" are fine.
    Really!!!??? your post are the hardest to read do to your "English".
    ~ Canon Rebel T5i ~ EFS IS 18-55mm STM~ VivitarDF-483-CAN ~ Canon EF 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM ~

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by tsy72001 View Post
    Really!!!??? your post are the hardest to read do to your "English".
    That should be "due", not "do". And you need to capitalize the Y in "your" since it is the beginning of a sentence.

If you're going to comment on someone's bad grammar and typing, you should make sure yours is correct.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Yetifotografer is offline I'm new here!

Just my two cents but if you want to be a pro photographer then do it. Believe in your self and know that you are a pro already. Photography is not any different than any other business and you will need to learn how to wear many hats if you want your own photography business.
    If you want a degree in photography do that, but you might consider a minor in business management. The secondary degree or course work will help you as your photograph develops into a full blow business. You also get the added benefit of being able to call back onto the business management if for some reason photography doesn't work out for you.
    Good luck to you!