Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    AshNZ is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Another "please suggest a camera" thread! 7D or similar..

Hi,

Iíve sold my beloved dSLR Ė it was my first ever dSLR and that camera introduced me to the world of photography. It was Sony a300 and reasons for selling were two fold:

- The camera was 4+ years old, so the shutter count was getting up there.
    - The ďProcessingĒ time just got too much. A 30 sec exposure usually had ďprocessingĒ time of 20 Ė 30seconds. I do a lot of long exposure shooting so it was really starting to bug me.

Now Iím in the market for a new camera. I do a lot of landscape (beaches, sunset, sunrise, cityscape etc) photography so I wish I could buy a full frame camera but Iím afraid thatís out of my budget at the moment.

Iíve read a lot about Canon 7D and seem like a great camera but the fact that it doesnít have the ability to twist and turn the LCD screen is a shame. I used that feature a lot on my previous camera and I canít imagine living without it. As much as I love its weatherproof housing, I think Iíll pass on it just because of the LCD screen.

This leaves me with 600D which Iím sure is a great camera. Being a Sony owner in past 4-5 years, Iím unsure of the range available in Nikon or Canon. Ideally I would love to have 7Dís processor (or equivalent) along with 7Dís weatherproof housing but LCD screen that I can twist or turn. I donít care about video quality of the camera.

So do you guys have any other suggestions?

RichardTaylor is online now dPS +1000 Club

Have you looked at the Canon 60D?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTaylor View Post
    Actually, I'm looking at it right now. Just came across it.

dakwegmo is offline instigator

Not sure specifically about the Sony, but on Nikons there's a long exposure noise reduction setting where, after a long exposure the camera then charges the sensor without opening the shutter for the same amount of time as the actual photo. It then uses the data from the sensor to determine where the color noise would be in the photo and fixes it in the final jpg. If you shoot RAW, it's useless, but the setting is easily turned off in the menus. I wonder if that's why you were getting long processing times with your images.
    [Į‘Į] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTaylor View Post
    ++1. The 60D does not have the weather-sealing like the 7D, though. Unfortunately non of Canon's weather-sealed bodies provide the articulated LCD. At this point the only two bodies Canon offers that articulated screen on are the 600D and the 60D. Of the two, the 60D is probably closer to functioning like your old DSLR, as both have the "dual-wheel" controls, where the 600D only has the top wheel and a four button layout on the back. The 60D also adds a top LCD screen that neither the Sony a300 nor Canon 600D have.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dakwegmo View Post
    Not sure specifically about the Sony, but on Nikons there's a long exposure noise reduction setting where, after a long exposure the camera then charges the sensor without opening the shutter for the same amount of time as the actual photo. It then uses the data from the sensor to determine where the color noise would be in the photo and fixes it in the final jpg. If you shoot RAW, it's useless, but the setting is easily turned off in the menus. I wonder if that's why you were getting long processing times with your images.
    I doubt that is the case cos I've played with my camera a lot and never came across that feature. I get the feeling that the processing time got longer with time. I'm not sure if that's expected or not.

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post
    ++1. The 60D does not have the weather-sealing like the 7D, though. Unfortunately non of Canon's weather-sealed bodies provide the articulated LCD. At this point the only two bodies Canon offers that articulated screen on are the 600D and the 60D. Of the two, the 60D is probably closer to functioning like your old DSLR, as both have the "dual-wheel" controls, where the 600D only has the top wheel and a four button layout on the back. The 60D also adds a top LCD screen that neither the Sony a300 nor Canon 600D have.
    Thanks, I think it's probably between 600D and 60D now. I haven't compared prices yet but that's what this will probably come down to.

dakwegmo is offline instigator

Quote Originally Posted by AshNZ View Post
    I doubt that is the case cos I've played with my camera a lot and never came across that feature. I get the feeling that the processing time got longer with time. I'm not sure if that's expected or not.
    Not that it matters now, but: Sony A300/A350: Focal Digital Camera Guides - Long Exposure NR. Just be aware that many cameras have this feature, and plenty have it enabled automatically, including both of the Canons you're considering.
    [Į‘Į] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Not that it matters now, but: Sony A300/A350: Focal Digital Camera Guides - Long Exposure NR. Just be aware that many cameras have this feature, and plenty have it enabled automatically, including both of the Canons you're considering.
    Haha, thanks mate. Guess I didn't read the manual properly!

Preeb is offline dPS Forum Member

Actually the Canon 60D has an "Auto" level of NR by default. There is a setting for additional NR for long exposures and also an option to turn it off completely. I have it off on my 60D at the moment. It's in the custom functions menu.
    Rick

Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM; EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM; EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro; EF100mm f2.8 L IS Macro USM; EF 70-200 f4 L IS USM + 1.4x II TC --- Soon to have: Fuji Finepix XP 200 Waterproof

Page 1 of 2 12 Last