Reading Railroad Bridge

Reading Railroad Bridge by skersting66, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D4
    Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
    Aperture f/10.0
    Focal Length 24 mm
    ISO Speed 200

Any other critique is also welcome.
    Last edited by sk66; 03-09-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Michael Francis is offline I'm new here!

I like the first photo.
    Michael - Nikon D7000 - NIKKOR 18-200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 ED DX VR II Lens

RichardTaylor is online now dPS +1000 Club

Second one - mainly becuse the bridge stops my eye from leaving the page more..

argonaut is offline dPS Forum Member

Default first

I'd go for the first one simply because people look at an image from left to right in my view. So leaving the left section empty and starting from the right might be a way to 'shock' the viewer perhaps or make a more 'unconventional' shot. For me, however, the first is more pleasing to the eye. Great shots, though.

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    I'd go for the first one simply because people look at an image from left to right in my view. So leaving the left section empty and starting from the right might be a way to 'shock' the viewer perhaps or make a more 'unconventional' shot. For me, however, the first is more pleasing to the eye. Great shots, though.
    +1 on that. I tend to like leading lines from left to right.

Great shots by the way!
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 VC, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Interesting...I find the image "reads" both ways.
    In the first image you follow the bridge "into" the image, but arrive at "nothing." Since there is nothing solid to anchor the eye it wanders back.
    In the second you follow the bride from "nothing" out of the image, but end at something "defined" and to anchor the eye. But since it's "out of" the image the eye wanders back.

Neither image is "easy," but since the "point" of the image is the bridge fading off into nothing being engulfed by the fog, I suppose the first image might be "better." I really don't know what to do with it. The second image is how it was taken...

redartsjr is offline JustMe

I kinda like the second image better. Maybe it's because I'm right handed. I don't know. But my brain seems to be more comfortable processing the second photo. Beautiful shots either way. Very nicely done.
    Rick

CarissaLyn is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post

Neither image is "easy," but since the "point" of the image is the bridge fading off into nothing being engulfed by the fog, I suppose the first image might be "better."
    That was my first thought, that I was looking at a bridge fading into the fog, so the first worked for me. But then, since the second one at first glance is not what my eye expected, I actually lingered on it longer. But I'm not sure if that'd be true if I hadn't seen it right after the first one, if that makes sense.
    My Website: Carissa Lyn
    My Flickr Photos
    Nikon D5000 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S | Various speedlights & lighting equipment

solnechny is offline dPS Forum Member

The first one definitely works better for me! Funny how everyone's opinion is different on this Right vs left "sidedness"?
    Lisa
    All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be (c)
    Canon 7D, 17-40 f/4L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L, 50mm f/1.8II, 40mm f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    500px

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by CarissaLyn View Post
    That was my first thought, that I was looking at a bridge fading into the fog, so the first worked for me. But then, since the second one at first glance is not what my eye expected, I actually lingered on it longer.
    I have the same "feeling". With the first image you get to the end of the bridge and it's "done." Nothing more to look at. With the second image I end at the bridge and reflection and linger a bit longer, even "starting over" for further consideration... I suppose it is then a bridge "coming out of the fog." But unfortunately it doesn't "stop" at/on anything.
    Last edited by sk66; 01-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last