Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    SnowflakeMama is offline My halo's in the shop...

Default Is there a place for this?

I'm trying to choose between two images to enter into a contest. They are completely different and I really don't know which way to go here, this a digital contest, open to any topic/subject. I was going to ask for opinions in the Comparison section of Critique, but the description says it's for when you have two edits of the same image. Is there an appropriate place in here to ask for help choosing between two completely different images? I wouldn't mind getting critique on them at the same time, but I'm not too worried about that (mostly because I don't really expect to "place" in this contest at all, but I can't keep using that as an excuse not to try! )

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
    Selena
    Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
    My flickr
    "If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera."
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

ajax_andy is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeMama View Post
    I'm trying to choose between two images to enter into a contest. They are completely different and I really don't know which way to go here, this a digital contest, open to any topic/subject. I was going to ask for opinions in the Comparison section of Critique, but the description says it's for when you have two edits of the same image. Is there an appropriate place in here to ask for help choosing between two completely different images? I wouldn't mind getting critique on them at the same time, but I'm not too worried about that (mostly because I don't really expect to "place" in this contest at all, but I can't keep using that as an excuse not to try! )

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
    Just post them in this thread, am sure the mods won't mind

Quote Originally Posted by ajax_andy View Post
    Just post them in this thread, am sure the mods won't mind
    Excellent! Was hoping someone would say something like that. And now because I'm filled with indecision and self-doubt, there are three, not just two! Hope that's still okay...

Here they are, in no particular order:

The Polka Dot Boots
    The Polka Dot Boots

In the Pass
    In the Pass

The Ice Fields
    The Ice Fields

Okay, so I am totally open to critique and straight-up opinions. Promise. I put my big girl panties on today and I can take it. If you think they all suck and none should be entered, please say so. If you just don't like one, or think my composition, post-process, or whatever is overdone and makes you want to vomit, I wanna hear it. Really!

If you do really dislike them all, please feel free to take a look at my flickr and see if there's anything there that might be more suitable. I don't mind hearing if my images aren't great, but I'd like to find something to submit if at all possible - this is to help represent my local club on a provincial level and at this point we're falling way short of our expected number of entries. Just one more thing I should mention, they are all saturated just a touch more than I would usually because at the competition they will be projected onto a screen rather than viewed on a computer or TV. The projector tends to wash things out a lot and I am hoping to compensate for that a bit.

And thanks for having a look!
    Last edited by SnowflakeMama; 01-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    Selena
    Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 50mm f/1.4, 8mm Samyang Fisheye, 430 EX II... and some other lenses and stuff.
    My flickr
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

AvianStewardess is offline Because I Said I Would

I like the child's boots. I think if I were in your shoes I would want the club to have a balance of genres represented and would add whatever photo you have that fills a hole in the club's submission. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by AvianStewardess View Post
    I like the child's boots. I think if I were in your shoes I would want the club to have a balance of genres represented and would add whatever photo you have that fills a hole in the club's submission. IMHO.
    Ahh, good thought. Most of my fellow club members are wilflife/nature shooters. The boots may make more of an impact simply because they're different. Thanks!
    Selena
    My flickr
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

I still think this fits in comparison critique, even if they are totally different shots. It may not be 100% perfect fit, it's the closest area.
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I still think this fits in comparison critique, even if they are totally different shots. It may not be 100% perfect fit, it's the closest area.
    Thank you!
    Selena
    My flickr
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

ZafarSami is offline dPS +1000 Club

The boots are great. Colourful, have a story to go with them and oh so colourful. I like colours, in case you did not notice.

Another great shot in your Flickr stream is the Power Wagon, but I still think the boots are better.
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

Quote Originally Posted by ZafarSami View Post
    The boots are great. Colourful, have a story to go with them and oh so colourful. I like colours, in case you did not notice.

Another great shot in your Flickr stream is the Power Wagon, but I still think the boots are better.
    Thank you! Yes, the more I see the red boots the more I like them. I find it hard to look back at photos like this and decide if it's the image I like or just the story behind them, especially when it involves my kids.
    Thanks for the feedback, and for the comment on the Power Wagon - I have a thing for that truck, I've been back to visit it a few times now.
    Selena
    My flickr
    - Lewis Wickes Hine

Roshenk is online now "f/2.8 and be there"

I definitely think you should enter the boots. The shot is clever, unique and uses light and color really well. You also got a great perspective on the shot, letting her tower over you.

The landscapes are really nice, especially The Ice Fields....but..well...not much different then a few billion other winter landscape shots and while very well shot, has nothing that grabs me. Go with the boots.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Page 1 of 3 123 Last