Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    private is offline Old timer :)

Default 24-70 2.8 L lens

Is there a sweet spot when it comes to aperture on this lens? I know for zoom, its around 40-45mm
    Pat
    5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
    You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

According to this, it;s actually best "overall" at the wide end (24-30mm)
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Murtasma is offline Critique Moderator

Looks like F8-11 is the sweet spot for just about any focal length from those charts.

I was hoping that was not the case...oh well. Does Canon make a zoom lens that is always sharp?
    Pat
    5D, 5DMKIII | lenses 50 1.2, 35 1.4, 17-40 f/4, 70-200 2.8 II, 15mm - MY WEBSITE Fan me on Facebook!
    You don't have to be the best, you just have to be better than last week" - Jerry Ghionis

A@EPOCH is offline dPS Forum Member

The 70-200 f/4L is considered by many to be the sharpest lens in the L series lineup and I can say that I don't disagree. It is tack sharp throughout the entire focal length with no exceptions that I can see. That is if you do get a good copy I know quality control has been in flux throughout the years...
    Flickr | www.law-photography.com | Gear: 1957 Hasselblad 500c, EOS Elan II, Canon 5Dc (Gripped) w/Ee-s, Tammy 28-75mm 2.8, 50mm f/1.8II, 85mm f/1.8, 135L

I have been hearing the same exact thing. re the quality. I would only use the 70-200 outside, so I think I would be OK with F/4 - and I have also heard that the quality is not as great - been hearing whispers about the 50D as well, with noise issues. Have you had that problem...
    Pat

Samanax is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by private View Post
    Is there a sweet spot when it comes to aperture on this lens? I know for zoom, its around 40-45mm
    A friend of mine has a copy of "The Brick" and he's really not happy with the image quality he's getting from it. Says it's the softest L lens he has.
    been hearing whispers about the 50D as well, with noise issues.
    The noise issue thing with the 50D started as soon as it was introduced. But I think it's high ISO noise issues (that almost every other camera will have problems with). If you keep the ISO down to normal levels the noise problem is almost non-existent.

You have the 50D...aren't you happy with it? Big step up from a XTi.
    Last edited by Samanax; 09-23-2009 at 03:59 AM.

spencer28n is offline dPS Forum Member

Digital Picture 24-70 Review

Hope that helps. I'm kind of dissappointed to hear that you guys are having problems with soft L lenses. Being a minigearhead I kind of had my list of wants planned out. And next was either the 24-70 or more likely the 70-200 2.8. =(
    Canon XTi: 50/1.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8, Canon 24-70/2.8L
    My Portfolio

my 24-70 could be sharper IMO. The 50D gets noisey in the shadows at ISO 400, it might just be my exposure settings tho...

but if the light is really good, I hardly get any noise. I am gonna have the camera look at in JAn after the busy season...and same with the lens. But I will say that my nift fifty is pretty dang sharp, and it fell down a mountin and I had to "pop"it back in place so it would focus...so I am sure my 24-70 needs some owrk also...
    Pat

Samanax is offline dPS +1000 Club

But I will say that my nift fifty is pretty dang sharp, and it fell down a mountin and I had to "pop"it back in place so it would focus...so I am sure my 24-70 needs some owrk also...
    A prime lens will generally be sharper than a zoom lens because it has lens elements for the light to pass through before it gets to the sensor.

The 50D has micro adjustment...have you tested to see if the 24-70 is front or back focusing?

Camera AF Microadjustment

Page 1 of 2 12 Last