Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    LauraSAnne is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Compare the XSi to the 7D

Okay, I know the obvious differences; The XSi is an entry level where the 7D is semi-pro. I know the 7D has more megapixels and can shoot more frames per second.

What I want to know, if anyone has had experience, is the overall difference in photograph output. If I were to put an f/1.8 85mm on both bodies and take a picture of the same thing with the same settings, what differences am I going to notice?

I need to figure out if I'm lusting after something that I really shouldn't be.

WVCoalMiner is offline Millionaire

2-Canon 5D's & 1- Canon XTi 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5 Kit Lenses, Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III
    To see more of my photos check out my flickr page: flickr
    WV KY OH DPS Photography Group JOIN NOW!!!

Awesome link, thanks! I guess that shows me pretty much what I was looking for.

It doesn't really put the nail in the coffin for me though. In December I upgraded to my XSi from an Olympus E-420 (which I wasn't happy with compared to what I was seeing with the XSi images my friend was getting). But I haven't been as happy with the XSi as I thought I would be--too much muddiness.

So of course I start dreaming about bigger and better things. And the 7D is one of those things, as well as some nice glass such as the 24mn f/1.4L, the 35mm f/1.4L and even maybe the 50mm f/1.2L (I love the primes!). But I wonder if I'd just be happier focusing on the glass for now and the body later. It's easier to attain things if you decrease the amount of things you're wanting, you know?

I guess my main problem is, I'm not happy with the creaminess and sharpness I'm getting with the XSi, and I need to figure out if the road to fixing that means getting a new body, better lenses, or both. Lenses are a given, so it's the body I'm up in the air about as being a definite solution.

The only road to follow is that of the FULL FRAME Look for a good used 5D or spend the cash and go for the 5D mk II. Another APS-C is probably gonna yeild no better results regardless of the model other than maybe a little better processor and more megapixels.
    2-Canon 5D's & 1- Canon XTi 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5 Kit Lenses, Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III

XSi with 70-200mm f2.8 L glass Straight Out of Camera NO PP at all:

Quote Originally Posted by WVCoalMiner View Post
    The only road to follow is that of the FULL FRAME Look for a good used 5D or spend the cash and go for the 5D mk II. Another APS-C is probably gonna yeild no better results regardless of the model other than maybe a little better processor and more megapixels.
    Ahh, but you are implying that the glass is hugely important too based off your photo example? That's a good example of the "creaminess" and sharpness I'm looking for.
    Canon XSi
    18-55mm : 55-250mm f/4-5.6 : 50mm f/1.8 : 85mm f/1.8
    : 35mm f/1.4L
    My Flickr

junglebear is offline Animesanaincorporesano

Well it sounds like funds aren't an issue, so why don't you buy a 5D and just mail me you're old camera

A while ago, someone on here posted a link to this site which has technical comparisons of all the different sensors, which gives you an idea of how they compare.
    Joe
    Flickr

Circle Line Stories A London photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSAnne View Post
    Ahh, but you are implying that the glass is hugely important too based off your photo example? That's a good example of the "creaminess" and sharpness I'm looking for.
    I think some L glass would suit you then. Then if it doesn't get the results you are looking for the L glass will work nicely on the 5D mk II LOL

Quote Originally Posted by junglebear View Post
    Well it sounds like funds aren't an issue, so why don't you buy a 5D and just mail me you're old camera .
    I wish funds weren't an issue, but they are. I'm just trying to prioritize my dream list so at least the top two or so could be tangible over the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by WVCoalMiner View Post
    I think some L glass would suit you then. Then if it doesn't get the results you are looking for the L glass will work nicely on the 5D mk II LOL
    That seems to be the logical way to do it; very win win in either case.
    Canon XSi
    18-55mm : 55-250mm f/4-5.6 : 50mm f/1.8 : 85mm f/1.8
    : 35mm f/1.4L
    My Flickr

AnimalGurl is offline Oh shoot!

I just have to say that I really LOVE this picture! It's a beauty! I am getting an Xsi next week and this image is making me wish I had it already!!! Love it...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last