Close
Close
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last
    wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Default A Sense of Scale

Take a picture that gives a sense of scale, whether true or false. How about a huge building with small figures standing at the bottom of it? Or tiny toy figures swarming over your dinner plate? Here is my example, a life-size statue on the coastal path at A Coruña in northern Spain contrasted with the huge port control building seen in the distance for a distorted sense of scale:

Sculpture and Building

Camera: Nikon D40 (70-300mm lens)
    Exposure: 1/400s
    Aperture: f/6.3
    Focal Length: 70 mm
    ISO Speed: 200

Here are the rules:

A review of the rules might be helpful:

1. The image you submit should be taken between June 25 (when it was announced) and July 9 (up until one of the moderators closes the the mini-contest). Don't leave it until Wednesday afternoon if you want to be sure of beating the deadline!

2. EXIF data needs to be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message. See my example above.

3. Your post must include "Assignment: A Sense of Scale" as the title or clearly in the text to show your permission to count it for the contest.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only one marked with the text above).

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

If you finish early, then you can start thinking about and shooting for next week's assignment, "Sunny Days". If you are going to rely on the weather then start carrying your camera with you... or use your imagination if you expect it to rain for the next two weeks!

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Hebe is offline I'm new here!

Default Assignment: A Sense of Scale

I was just too late posting this to the "feet" assignment - but figured that it would work for this one as well!
    So I just waited for Wulf to publish the next one.

Just a quick shot of my feet - taken with a wide angle lens, which makes them look enormous.

Miss Bigfoot

Basic EXIF:
    Camera: Canon EOS 400D
    Lens: Tamron 11-18mm
    Taken: June 29th
    Exposure: 0.8 sec (4/5)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 11 mm
    ISO Speed: 400
    Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV
    Flash: Flash fired

More EXIF on Flickr

(I am a sucker for pictures of miniature models, so I might reject my ugly feet on behalf of something more interesting later this week...)
    Hebe @ flickr | Hebe @ home
    Shooting with a Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) and an assortment of cheap lenses.

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
    I was just too late posting this to the "feet" assignment - but figured that it would work for this one as well!
    So I just waited for Wulf to publish the next one.
    Yes - no problem with that. It is a good example and, as you note, you can always post a different one later in the week if you change your mind (as long as you come back and edit "Assignment: A Sense of Scale" out of this one). I'm looking forward to seeing some more early-bird entries to get us rolling.

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Igor is offline dPS Forum Member

This seems to be everyone's favorite place to have their picture taken when they visit the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum

I had a photo of my wife standing in front of it. But it looked like a typical tourist shot. So I went up to the second floor patio. Fortunately, some other visitors were getting their picture taken, so you get a sense of scale.

Bullock2

CameraSony DSLR-A100
    Exposure0.006 sec (1/160)
    ApertureF/11
    Focal Length35mm
    ISO Speed100
    Exposure Bias  0/10 EV

Full exif on Flickr
    Cheers,
    Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

Miss Mae is offline dPS Forum Member

A Room with a View

I shot several the other morning on top of Point Loma in San Diego - my husband likes this one best.... In the foreground is Ft. Rosecrans, then San Diego Bay, Coronado Bridge in the far distance and a helicopter too! EXIF on flickr - check out some of the others to see if you like them more... thanks. Happy 4th!
    Last edited by Miss Mae; 07-02-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Hayward Taylor is offline Tama Samoa

Default A Sense of Scale

seems appropriate for the holiday..

911ceremony3 copy
    DSLR -Nikon D300 - Pentax K20D
    POINT 'n' SHOOT - Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-150 - Nikon Coolpix P7000 - Canon PowerShot S90
    My Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/97253820@N05/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9165063@N06/

Saralonde is offline Administrator

"Toy Box Anarchy"
    Day 187 threesixtyfive "Toy Box Anarchy" (by saralonde)
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

corry is offline dPS Forum Member

LOVE IT Sara...very clever.
    Corry
    Digital Rebel XTi ● EF S 18-55mm ● EF 50mm 1.8 ● EF 75-300mm , Sigma 18-200 OS, Battery Grip, Close up Filters
    flickr
    My Photo Blog

gwoman is offline I'm new here!

Default Eiffel Tower

Favorite shot from France vacation

Eiffel Tower

Camera: Nikon D80
    Lens: Nikor AF-S DX VR 18-200
    Shutter: 1/500
    Aperture: f/11
    ISO: 100
    Focal length: 46mm
    Exposure bias: -0.67

Victoria morphy is offline I'm new here!

Default Assignment: A sense of scale

Hi, I have been keeping an eye al lof the fantastic pics that have come in for the assignments! What a standard to aspire to!
    Here is my submission for this assignment. I have chosen a rather dark topic but it fits in rather well to the notion of a sense of scale. Around this area there is far too much roadkill. This week the grey kangaroos have suffered but wombats often suffer the same fate. The point I am trying to get across is that scale of these unnecessary killings is not sustainable and we will lose these treasures from this area. I hope that the POV accentuates the beauty of the creature and tugs at the heart strings.

It may be that this image is too much for this family oriented website. If so delete the image. I'll keep an eye on the thread and submit something else if so.

Last edited by wulf; 07-03-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed image

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last