Close
Close
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... Last

Thread: Wide Open

Seltzer is offline Absent Moderator

Default Wide Open

This weeks assignment is "wide open". This may have a few people asking what exactly shooting wide open is. Basically it refers to the size of the opening in your lens to let light pass through. The smaller the f-stop the larger the opening. For example, if your lens is the standard 18-55mm kit lens it probably has options of f3.5 to f5.6. The f3.5 is a larger opening than the f5.6. So for this assignment we are trying for smaller numbers to have a wider opening.
    A great intro for this is in the blog:
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/aperture/

I wasn't planning on initiating this assignment so I had to dig through my photos. Not the best, but anyone that has seen fencing knows just how fast the action is so my 50mm f1.8 works nicely for this with the fast shutter speed and large opening to let a lot of light in quickly.

IMG_1011

As always EXIF data needs to be intact if you wish to participate in the mini contest!

The image you submit should be taken between the 30th April and the 13th of May 2008 (before the end of the mini-contest).

Your post must include "Assignment: Wide Open" to show your permission to count it for the contest.

*** From SuperMod Wulf: "The challenge is to open the aperture as wide as it will go. To maximise the challenge, use your fastest available lens (although, as you can see from my entry, this isn't essential - my 50mm f/1.8 was the only lens I didn't take on my recent holiday). When the moderators do the judging at the end of the week, we will go through our shortlists and disqualify any shots where the aperture doesn't match the wide open setting for the lens used (therefore, it is useful to mention both those bits of information on your entry - eg. "taken at at f/2.5 with my Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 lens").

If you haven't got a camera that allows you to demand a particular aperture then either give yourself a week off (how about picking a section of the site you haven't contributed to, like "Before and After", and seeing what you can come up with for that instead) or do some experiments to see what conditions and settings force your camera to take a wide-open shot.

Wulf" -- Hope that helps clarify things.

Again, remember, only one image per user can qualify for the mini-contest, if more than one is listed for the assignment (with assignment: wide open) all of that user's images will be disqualified.

Next week's assignment is Low Light/Night photography
    Last edited by Seltzer; 05-09-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: rules update/clarification
    Cameras:
    Canon Rebel XSi (450D)
    Canon Lenses: 18-55mm IS kit lens, 50mm 1.8, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Accessories: Lowepro Fastpack 250 backpack, Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
    OK to edit & repost my images in the DPS forum only.
    Click for my flickr
    The views expressed by this user should not be taken as the views of DPS.. basically if you don't like what I say, tell me, don't blame the site.

candleman is offline Bad at explaining

Default D'oh !

Quote Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post

Next week's assignment is Low Light/Night photography

DARN! i hada really good one this week for that.. oh well.. probably still elligable for "wide open"
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

RussHeath is offline dPS +1000 Club

Just to clarify, are we trying to shoot at our absolute max aperture, or are we just playing with narrow DOF? It's easy to tell from metadata if a shot was taken at max aperture, so for example, does a shot taken with my 50mm f/1.8 that was shot at f/2.5 qualify? I really don't care, I just want to know what I'm aiming for this week!
    Nikon D80, 18-200, 105 macro VR, 18-55, 50 f/1.8; Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    SB600 x 2; Canon A570 IS; Bonica XP Neon Underwater Strobe
    Film Cameras: Lomo LC-A+, Diana+, Canon AE-1

OK to edit and repost pics for DPS forums!
    flickr; ihardlyknowher; My most interesting pics on flickriver

MikeM is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    DARN! i hada really good one this week for that.. oh well.. probably still elligable for "wide open"
    The eligibility date starts from one week before the assignment is posted, so maybe you still qualify. For instance, photos taken on April 30 count for this week's contest.
    Pentax K10D, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron 70-300mm LD Di Macro, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    http://picasaweb.google.com/mossmikej/
    Flickr
    There appears to be another MikeM. I'm not him, I'm me.

Teewinot is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RussHeath View Post
    Just to clarify, are we trying to shoot at our absolute max aperture, or are we just playing with narrow DOF? It's easy to tell from metadata if a shot was taken at max aperture, so for example, does a shot taken with my 50mm f/1.8 that was shot at f/2.5 qualify? I really don't care, I just want to know what I'm aiming for this week!
    Russ, last week when NaturesPixel initiated the Converging Lines assignment, she said this:

"Next weeks is "Wide Open" f1.4 - f3.5 whatever - just wide open!""

Maybe it's flexible then?
    Cameras: Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 40D
    Lenses:
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM FLD, Tamron SP 500mm f/8 CF
    Digital Darkroom: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 and Adobe Photoshop CS5

OK to re-edit or re-post my photo(s) on DPS only ... Website ... Blog ... Flickr

mseigafuse is offline dPS +1000 Club

My question before was more geared towards zoom lenses (like my kit lens) which has a variable relative aperture (to quote wikipedia) across it's range. So at 18mm I can use f3.5, but at 55mm wide open is f5.6. Like RussHeath I just want to clarify. I can always just shoot with a fixed focal length lens if need be
    Pentax K100D, Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro Super II, SMC Pentax-DA F3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm, Vivitar 1:2.8 MC Wide Angle 28mm, Pentax 540FGZ, Vivitar 285HV, Cactus wireless trigger and receivers
    Flickr

Seltzer is offline Absent Moderator

For my part, I'd go with the wider the better as a general rule.. As with my 50mm, I can't zoom so it's all a matter of moving my body and I think that is part of the purpose of this particular assignment. Granted, everyone has a range that they can do with their lenses but try to keep near the larger (smaller #) end if at all possible.
    Cameras:
    Canon Rebel XSi (450D)
    Canon Lenses: 18-55mm IS kit lens, 50mm 1.8, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Accessories: Lowepro Fastpack 250 backpack, Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
    OK to edit & repost my images in the DPS forum only.
    Click for my flickr
    The views expressed by this user should not be taken as the views of DPS.. basically if you don't like what I say, tell me, don't blame the site.

aclamann is offline I'm new here!

I just happened to be playing around with DoF this past weekend. Lucky me!

DPS Assignment : Wide Open

Igor is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Weekly Assignment: Wide Open

Taken at f4.0, which looks like the bottom end of my lens, was thinking about "wide open." This is a piece of art that's "Open Wide!" Lightened up a bit in PSP.

The art studio is the Bungled Jungle in Colorado. Penguin is from someplace else. Thought the cowboy hat added a touch of class.

WallArt

Exif on Flickr

Cheers,
    Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

--Deb is offline dPS Forum Member

Assignment: Open Wide

And--this is a stupid question (but I've only had my Nikon for 24 hours--how do I GET the exif data to post?? I'll come back and add it, but I need to know how, first (grin)

I took this last night when I'd had the camera in my hands for less than an hour. The aperture was f/5.3, which was as wide as it would go. (I was just so happy to have a camera that could DO this....)

--Deb
    Last edited by --Deb; 05-08-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... Last