Close
Close
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last
    Saralonde is offline Administrator

Default "Street Signs" Sept. 28 - Oct. 12, 2011

This week: "Street Signs". I'm sure you'll be able to find one , the point is to make it interesting. Try different perspectives, times of day (for lighting). Consider the environment around it; does it add to the shot? Perhaps go for humor, for example a "No Fishing" sign with someone fishing in the distance. As someone pointed out, my poor example of a fishing sign may not necessarily be a Street Sign. You need not go for humor; the point was to consider different ways to make it interesting.

Day 105-365 "Stop Rain."
    "Stop Rain"

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 28th of September to the 12th of October 2011. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Street Signs" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the front page of the DPS blog Saturday late afternoon (EST) or here and this thread.

Next week: A creatve assignment. Remember the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other?" I want you to come up with an image where something in it "Doesn't Quite Belong". One item a different shape, size or color than everything else, one person that stands out in a crowd, etc. You might find it in a natural environment or create/manipulate something. Use your imagination! This is a creative assignment, but always keep in mind the technical things that make your image a good one.

Not the best example in the world, but here is a really old shot of mine that will give you an idea.
    Individualist
    Last edited by Saralonde; 10-05-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: trying to remove confusion
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

kirbinster is online now Always carry your camera

Default Street Signs

Redundancy? Doesn't one way mean do not enter already????

Brighton Beach Kelby PhotoWalk 10-1-2011 -4530

Taken on October 1, 2011 at 5.07pm EDT (edit)

Camera Nikon D5000
    Exposure (1/160)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Focal Length 68 mm
    ISO Speed 1000
    Exposure Bias +1/3 EV
    Last edited by kirbinster; 10-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

arlon is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saralonde View Post
    This week: "Street Signs". I'm sure you'll be able to find one , the point is to make it interesting. Try different perspectives, times of day (for lighting). Consider the environment around it; does it add to the shot? Perhaps go for humor, for example a "No Fishing" sign with someone fishing in the distance.
    How would a "No Fishing" sign with someone fishing in the distance qualify as a "street sign"? It's a little confusing unless the sign was actually on a street, it would NOT fit the subject very well. If the subject is "street signs" we need to do "street signs".. (-:}

4umfreak is offline Clicky clicky...

Default Street Signs

Caught this statue of a guy playing chess on my walk to work. He had a food wrapper in his hand, a beer can on the table and a street sign to keep him company.

Timestamp: Fri Sep 30 07:32:53 2011
    Camera: Canon EOS 40D
    ISO speed: 500
    Shutter: 1/8.0 sec
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal length: 22.0 mm

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Let's assume that you also include a street (or road or trackway) in the image. The aim of the assignment is "street signs" not "funny signs" so don't get sidetracked by that one suggestion.

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

imagebox67 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Assignment: "Street Signs" Sept. 28 - Oct. 12

Tow-Away Zone (After the Typhoon)

Tow-Away Zone (After the Typhoon)

Date Taken: Oct. 1, 2011
    Camera: Nikon D700
    Lens: Sigma 24-70mm @ 60mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Shutter Speed: 1/4000sec
    iSO: 1000
    LR3
    My Gear:
    Nikon D700, Nikon D80, AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D,
    AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, filters, Manfrotto TR190XB with HD804RC2, Nikon SB-800, Nikon Right-Angle DR-5

b0gd4n is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Assignment: "Street Signs" Sept. 28 - Oct. 12

reflection

fotodesires is offline fotodesires.com

Default Street Signs

Taken October 4, 2011

Sony A350
    Focal lenght 11mm
    F-stop 4.5
    Shutter Speed 1/25
    ISO 100

www.fotodesires.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

thebucch is offline Kevin Bucchio Photography

Took this at an engagement session love the sign because its on landsown st. in Boston if you know where that is then you know it is where Fenway park(Boston Red Sox) play.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dalmorloson is offline f/speed and shutterstop..

Default Street Signs

I was taking my children to the church today when this Amish buggy caught our attention.

_MG_6246

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
    Aperture f/6.3
    Focal Length 171 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Taken on October 5, 2011
    Canon T2i 18-55mm kit, 50mm 1/1.8 II, EF-s 55-250, 580EXII, Lumapro 160, Cactus V5s
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalmorloson/
    http://500px.com/MattGallagher/photos

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last