10-05-2011, 12:50 PM #1
"Street Signs" Sept. 28 - Oct. 12, 2011
This week: "Street Signs". I'm sure you'll be able to find one , the point is to make it interesting. Try different perspectives, times of day (for lighting). Consider the environment around it; does it add to the shot? Perhaps go for humor, for example a "No Fishing" sign with someone fishing in the distance. As someone pointed out, my poor example of a fishing sign may not necessarily be a Street Sign. You need not go for humor; the point was to consider different ways to make it interesting.
As always, rules:
Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.
1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 28th of September to the 12th of October 2011. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!
2. Your post must include "Street Signs" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).
3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.
4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.
5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).
6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.
For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).
7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the front page of the DPS blog Saturday late afternoon (EST) or here and this thread.
Next week: A creatve assignment. Remember the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other?" I want you to come up with an image where something in it "Doesn't Quite Belong". One item a different shape, size or color than everything else, one person that stands out in a crowd, etc. You might find it in a natural environment or create/manipulate something. Use your imagination! This is a creative assignment, but always keep in mind the technical things that make your image a good one.
Not the best example in the world, but here is a really old shot of mine that will give you an idea.
Last edited by Saralonde; 10-05-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: trying to remove confusion
10-05-2011, 12:56 PM #2
Last edited by kirbinster; 10-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E II AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums
10-05-2011, 02:26 PM #3
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM #4
Caught this statue of a guy playing chess on my walk to work. He had a food wrapper in his hand, a beer can on the table and a street sign to keep him company.
Timestamp: Fri Sep 30 07:32:53 2011
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
ISO speed: 500
Shutter: 1/8.0 sec
Focal length: 22.0 mm
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM #5
Let's assume that you also include a street (or road or trackway) in the image. The aim of the assignment is "street signs" not "funny signs" so don't get sidetracked by that one suggestion.
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM #6
Assignment: "Street Signs" Sept. 28 - Oct. 12My Gear:
Nikon D700, Nikon D80, AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D,
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, filters, Manfrotto TR190XB with HD804RC2, Nikon SB-800, Nikon Right-Angle DR-5
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM #7dPS Forum Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM #8fotodesires.com
- Join Date
- May 2011
Taken October 4, 2011
Focal lenght 11mm
Shutter Speed 1/25
10-05-2011, 11:51 PM #9Kevin Bucchio Photography
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
- Melbourne, Fl
Took this at an engagement session love the sign because its on landsown st. in Boston if you know where that is then you know it is where Fenway park(Boston Red Sox) play.My Kit a Nikon D5000 with a 18-55mm+ a 55-200mm.
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM #10